View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
revshed

My Ride: '02 330xi
Okay, since nobody here was of any use on this project I took some initiative and tore into this project this weekend. Originally I was just going to replace my front outer boot but after some more reading decided to do the inner boot at the same time since it is only a $10 kit from pelicanparts.com

I contacted bimmertools.com about the hub puller and inner cv pry tool listed in the Bentley manual, the prices came back at $900 and $200 respectively. So instead, I went to toolsource.com and purchased the KD Tools universal heavy duty hub puller ($150)

Following the instructions in the Bentley manual got me to the point where I was supposed to use the BMW tool to remove the hub, I used the KD Tools puller and it worked like a charm. I then proceeded to remove the control arm mounts and got to the point the manual recommended using the inner CV pry tool to pull the innner axle out of the front differential. Instead, I gave the axle a good tug and the boot slid off the inner axle stub and the inner joint seperated easily so that I could completely remove the axle from the car.

I'm still waiting for the outer CV boot kit to get here, should be tonight; then I'll put it back together.

All in all, given my existing general tools I only needed the following to do both CV boots on the right front of my '02 xi:

1. Inner boot kit - $10
2. Outer boot kit - $10
3. Axle nut - $6
4. 18mm wrench (for one of the control arm mounts) - $11
5. Heavy Duty hub puller - $150

Overall time to complete this by myself should be about 3 to 4 hours when I'm all done.

Hope this helps some of you guys in the future - a shop I sometimes go to said the xi's tear through CV boots, so I think the $150 tool was a good investment as I will probably have this car for some time.
revshed is offline   Reply With Quote