View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 07:32 PM   #186
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
You sure about that? Those are "very" tight torque specs, and according to Alex323Ci it should be very light as well. I found a number online for an e36 and it says 15-20 inoz, just enough to crush the securing plate.. don't see why this should be that different on an e46.. Here is the quote for the e36 from bf.c, with the relevant part bolded:

Quote:
Actually, IF you're using the stock gearset and housing, its quite straightforward. I just finished rebuilding mine and putting it back in the car last weekend. I could rebuild it in a few hours no problem.

The carrier is pretty simple. Take everything a part and lay it out in order paying attention to what face faces which way. There is a good writeup w/ pics on r3vlimited.com. I replaced the clutches w/ the ones from bimmerworld. Clean everything and rebuilt it like how it was w/ the new clutches. You should also flip the dogged washers that the clutches rub on to provide a fresh surface.

Note, its probably easier/smarter to replace the output bearings before you rebuild the carrier.

I got the output bearings off w/ a gear puller. All the races in the housing and tranny sides can be tapped out w/ a hammer and tap. Always tap the new races in by tapping the old race against the new one to prevent damaging the new race.

You'll need a press to press the pinion bearings on/off. There is a shim behind the inner bearing race. This is important and goes w/ your housing, don't forget it. Its what sets the pinion depth. Press the inner pinion bearing on and put it in the housing from the inside. don't forget the crush sleeve. Then you gotta sort of hold it as you start the outter bearing by tapping it. Then you'll need to press it on until it snugs up against the crush washer. Then you put the input flange on and the nut and slowly torque down on the nut to crush the crush sleeve until you get the correct drag torque and/or feel. spec is around 15-20inoz. I crushed the sleeve until i got around 16inoz of drag and an experienced friend agreed that it felt right. Note, you do this without the input seal first because the seal creates a lot of drag when new. So do this all to crush the washer, then take the nut and flange off, tap in the seal, and put the flange and nut back on.

Then you put the carrier in. Slap on the tranny sides (don't forget the shims) and you're rolling.

Really, its not hard and costs under $250 in parts for all new clutches, bearings, seals, etc.

Black Sapphire MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote