07-30-2008, 06:05 AM
Join Date: Jan 2008
My Ride: '04 330Ci ZHP
DIY Facelift Coupe Angel Eyes
LeontiyZHP's DIY For Facelift Angel Eyes
I'm not a professional installer and I'm not going to be held liable for anything that may go wrong with the install. I'm simply stating the instruction I followed when installing my CCFL Angel Eyes. Anything you do wrong is your own fault. I've never done anything like that before, but still was able to accomplish this on my own. So do this at your own risk! Some of these steps might sound just like the ones that are listed in the sources I've used, which are very helpful BTW.
MAKE SURE TO TEST THE ANGEL EYES PRIOR TO GOING THROUGH ALL THE TROUBLE OF INSTALLING THEM. MAKE SURE THEY WORK!
I would recommend to start with the wiring in order to make sure that you have proper connections and that angel eyes are in working condition.
I followed the instructions of "FastM," which are found in the e46fanatics DIY forum. http://www.fastm.com/m3/angeleyes.html
Begin with taking off the headlight.
• Remove trim, under the headlight.
• Remove 4 screws, 2 on top, and 2 on the bottom, can be seen between the headlight and the bumper. (I used an 8mm driver)
• Unplug all of the headlight connectors, should be 5.
• Take out the headlight, have to wiggle it around some and get the right angle for it. (My left came out a lot easier than the right, not sure why.)
• You can also use "Sillieidiot's" instructions on removing the headlight. http://www.socale46.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1541#1541
Disassembling the Headlight.
• Torque wrench/screw driver needed
• Remove the connectors on the bottom of the headlight, 2 silver blocks with connectors, 3 screws each.
• Take off, 2 rubber tubes on each side of the headlight
• Remove the rubber trim on the side of the headlight
• Remove the turn signal bulb
• Remove 2 screws on the back
• REMEMBER WHERE EVERYTHING NEEDS TO GO BECAUSE YOU WILL NEED TO PUT IT ALL BACK TOGETHER
Heating and Taking apart the Headlight (Followed instructions from http://www.jlevisw.com/Bake.pdf)
• Preheat the oven: 250' F
• Make sure to have: a flathead screwdriver, Mittens, and Heat Protective gloves.
• Place the headlight onto an aluminum sheet
• Set timer to 15 minutes
• Place the headlight into the oven
• Watch the progress, make sure the headlight doesn't start to melt for some reason, 250' is not hot enough to melt the headlight, and did nothing to mine.
• Once the timer runs out, take out the headlight with the mittens or something to protect you from the heat, IT WILL BE HOT!!
• Start to wiggle the screwdriver in between the clear and black parts of the headlight. Make sure to unclip the clips between the pieces. BE CAREFUL NOT TO BREAK THEM!
• Pull the headlight lens apart from the base
• There will be a couple of screws that you will need to unscrew to take the interior pieces of the headlight apart.
Installing the Angel Eyes• Once the headlight is apart, place the angel eyes in the desired location and make sure to use double sided take to secure them in place.
• Run the wire to the back. Once the headlight was assembled back, I ran mine through the cap of the xenon headlamp.
Assembling everything back together
• Assemble the interior of the headlight back.
• Assemble the headlight together. Basically undo everything that you needed to do to take it apart.
I decided to smoke my corners at the same time.
• DO NOT SCREW ANYTHING BACK YET.
• Once everything is placed together, place the Headlight back in the oven just like you did the first time. This will allow the glue to heat up again, and will enable you to ensure that the headlight is glued back together. Once you take out the headlight, IT WILL BE HOT!!! Make sure to push everything back into place, and make sure that the clips are in the desired position. Make sure not to break anything.
• After the headlight is together in one piece, you can safely screw everything back into place, and place the rubbers back on it.
• You can now place the headlight back in place and test it out.
Complete setup Pictures
1. Wiring - http://www.fastm.com/m3/angeleyes.html
This contains a video of the second trigger wire that I had to connect
2. Baking the Headlight - http://www.jlevisw.com/Bake.pdf
3. Sillieidiot's Guide to taking the Headlights off http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9217044
4. There's might have been other sources that I've looked through, but cannot remember which ones, so I apologize for not quoting.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=551767 - Another thread I used.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=576910 - Questions I had.
Last edited by Solidjake; 12-09-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Reason: Auto-save 1386582558
|Ads by Google
Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.