View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 09:36 AM   #12
mit

My Ride: 00 325Ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfj1 View Post
I went OEM BT because I wanted as much compatibility and integration that I could get out of the phone system, I have nav as well and the VR works very well with both the phone and the Nav.

I did the retrofit myself and made the BT harness for a fraction of the cost of the OEM harness from the dealer, so the whole thing was approx 180 fitted and working, not that much difference than an AM phone kit (fitted).

Have you thought of going OEM?
I soooooo wanted to do OEM BT, but *everyone* who sells a retrofit said it wasn't possible on my 2000 model year car without doing Navigation retrofit as well. There was apparently one company who made a kit about 3 years ago who no longer make/sell it :/

So I went for the Alpine Vehicle hub solution. Biggest disappointment ever. Sure the sound quality of my music is now better than OEM, but the screen looks like a Commodore 64 and the bluetooth is nowhere near as good as OEM, and I still have no steering controls! It's also incredibly fiddly to use (4 screen presses to change radio station, about 5 presses before I can dial a phone number for example).

Roll on my new Kenwood double-din unit with Garmin sat-nav and Parrot bluetooth built in. Apparently Audicom will have a steering interface (volume and phone) for it at the end of August, so I'll be getting that as soon as it's available