View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008, 12:02 AM   #4
Boosted_ZHP

My Ride: 88 325
Send a message via AIM to Boosted_ZHP
I also agree. I think M is doing the right thing. It does not matter if a motor is NA or FI, what matters is the quality of the motor. With rising gas prices and emission regualations world wide, they can not keep raising the displacement and adding cylinders as competators release cars with higher power.

On the future models, I do hope that the X5 and X6 are not marketed as M models, but just built by them kind of like the old 4.8 and 4.8is's. About the new CSL, i still feel it is a reality. I am pretty sure it wont be called CSL, and that is why he keeps denying it. Every model M has had a special edition model, e30 Evo, e36 LTW and GTR, E46 GTR and CSL, so I am pretty sure they will relase a special edition e9+. About the M1 I hope they do come out with a R8 fighter,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
They were, but more than anything they've been about racing technology. More and more vehicles are racing with forced induction (TDI for example). To add to it, I think that BMW is seeing what tuners like Dinan, Active Autowerke, and HPF are doing to BMWs, and seeing that there is a great desire for FI (both turbochargers and superchargers) from owners. Dinan has produced more FI BMWs than any other company worldwide, and they've been quite successful at it. BMW has to have taken notice of all the tuners. This is just my theory, though.

Also, with the current horsepower war, BMW needs to go FI in order to stay in the game. AMG and Audi all seem to be about HP numbers, whereas BMW goes for a more rounded capability. I just hope they don't sacrifice the handling for power.

All in all, I'm happy with the way ///M is going. There was lots of hype surrounding the new CSL, and I'm sad to hear that it's not going to come to fruition. BMW will regret that one, as I hope they regret not bringing the 1 series hatch to the US.