View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
GriswaldE46

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP AgGray
Apparently DTC P2240=BMW FC 2974

Just relating an experience I had yesterday. '04 330Ci ZHP, 6 spd, 38,736 miles. Experienced slight stumbling under load with light throttle between 2500 and 3000 rpm for about a month. Seemed to be getting worse over time. Finally got CHECK ENGINE SOON LIGHT yesterday on way to work. This was actually a relief since my warranty is up in a month! Called the dealer and made an appointment for that afternoon. Stopped by the house on the way to the dealer and read OBD DTC P2240 and thought I was going to need a new O2 sensor. Went on to the dealer. Was warned that there has been a rash of problems with substandard gas and that the first thing they were going to check was the fuel. If gas was bad, a fuel system flush would be required and BMW would not cover it under warranty ($250). Well thank you very much, but I only use high quality premium in my baby and no way is the gas bad. They checked it any way, said it was fine. Toldyouso. Finally checked the fault memory and found FC 2974. Performed a test and found DME programming necessary. Diagnosis (directly from invoice):

DME Software too sensitive.
Reprogramed DME control module.

No further explaination other than "it happens a lot"! Bad part, 3 hours of my time. Good part, covered under warranty, no charge. I feel a lot better.

Take this experience for what it is worth. I have seen some other posts with similar problems and diagnosis. This one got me really thinking, is there anything a home mechanic can do any more besides change the oil? I could have wasted a lot of time and money chasing O2 sensor problems before taking it to the dealer if it had been out of warranty. Makes you appreciate this web site
GriswaldE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.