View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008, 11:20 PM   #22
Nik@vf-engineering
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: '03 540i sport 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbrorx7 View Post
Magunson S/C here we come.
We are a Magnuson approved engineering house and are using their units on V8s like the Audi S4, RS4 and Gallardo. However the M-V8 is not suited for positive displacement due to ITBs, heat and high compression ratio.

We have a Vortech T trim already mounted and are storming our way through the design process and the software engineers at GIAC have almost finished disassembling the ECU.

We were under the impression that this motor was going to be direct fuel injection however it has conventional injection. Everything has been beefed up by the factory. BMW seemed to have learnt from their under-engineering on the older E39 M5 engine and components ranging from the crankcase vent to all the hoses have all been high-tech'd.

Many panels on the car are actually plastic and there are many applications of composites and some carbon fibre pieces -all OEM. The ducting and cooling capacity seems to have had plenty of attention and it does not appear as if cooling is going to be any issue.

Our engineers have planned a system similar to our E46 M3 supercharger system which includes a replacement chargecooler manifold with integrated air/water heat exchangers.

Whilst there may have been a lot of criticism of the power delivery of the stock vehicle, I actually think it is a very well balanced and solid car. I cant wait to drive it with the blower fitted. A V8 that revs to 8400 is exciting to wind up without doubt. More feedback coming..
Nik@vf-engineering is offline   Reply With Quote