View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 01:02 AM   #80
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by redronin View Post
would it have been possible to keep the stock bmw cd player with this kind of setup, even mounted in the trunk somewhere?

or does the audio wiring require an aftermarket head unit?
It's fine to keep the stock HU, as long as you fabricate/buy the AUX-In cable, to allow input from the carpc's soundcard. But you would still have to mount it somewhere with easy access, because you cannot change the input source from anywhere else (i.e. steering wheel controls), unless you plan to keep it forever in AUX-In mode .

An Alpine or Kenwood unit will go up to $200, + $70 for the steering wheel controller and you can split it like the way I did and mount the faceplate somewhere within reach, retaining full functionality (changing folders in Mp3 mode, input source, etc etc). You don't need high-end HU for this purpose specially if you are satisfied from the stock HU.

The aftermarket HU faceplate can be mounted in the euro tray below armrest, in the front ashtray with a little bit of work, in the compartment on the left side of the steering wheel (fits perfectly in there) or even in the glovebox for stealthy installations.

If you don't split the HU, you can put it in the glovebox, below passenger seat (if you don't have electric seats) by butchering the first aid box and in the compartment left of the steering wheel.

Stock HU will only fit in the glovebox since it's larger than aftermarket Headunits.