View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 08:30 AM   #19
My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
Originally Posted by Racing.Ray View Post
I'm wondering why it would be cheaper to change the entire engine instead of just the internals.

The swap would require a new transmission, drive by wire, and probably to complete electronics, not just the software. Plus the entire swap is pricey as hell.
If you go with the internals, I would only guess that modified software would be needed. And the install should be cheaper than a swap. I'm just guessing here.

Headers and pulleys are no-brainers, and cams can be installed by any halfway competent shop with the right tools.

Only thing I imagine to be really pricey, is if the ECU needs custom software tuning. Other than that, I can't imagine an internal swap to be physically or financially more complicated than a complete engine/tranny/electronic swap. As said I have no experience with this stuff, and only know as much as I read on forums...

It may be cheaper to just FI the engine, or change the car for a 330ci/i.

You can swap the M54B30 in to the 323 and keep the 323 intake manifold so that you keep the cable TB. You can also keep your 323 transmission. A simple flash tune can then be done to get it running perfect.
-David | My Videos
2000 328i - Custom Turbo tuned by AA

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote