View Single Post
Old 09-27-2004, 08:00 AM   #1
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Racing Dynamics 330i

Racing Dynamics, Inc. of Alexandria, VA built this 2003 BMW 330i, owned by Gary Martin. The concept behind the build is an E46 four-door with unique styling, and performance to rival the E46 M3.

The first thing you notice about the car is the striking exterior. A full list of Racing Dynamics components was installed to give the four-door family car a sporty look. The Racing Dynamics Tornado Aerodynamic Package consists of a Front Bumper Cover, Side Skirts, and Rear Bumper Cover. Both Front and Rear Bumper Covers retain the OEM bumper supports for safety and strength. A Racing Dynamics Rear Window Spoiler extends the roofline to give the car a lower appearance, and the subtle Racing Dynamics Lip Spoiler sits at the trunk edge. Clear Corner Lenses, Euro Taillights, BMW Euro Black Window Trim, and a Backed-Out Front Grille finish off the clean look. Racing Dynamics Hood Roundel and Chrome Trunk Emblem let people know you have more than just the average BMW.

The interior is enhanced with Racing Dynamics Billet Shift Knob, Racing Dynamics Crest Floor Mats, and an E46 M3 Steering Wheel. Two 12" Eclipse Subwoofers in a custom enclosure are pushed by a PPI Reference Series Amplifier, while a MTX 3-Channel Crossover splits the signals.

The suspension setup was chosen to maximize handling and looks without sacrificing comfort. Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers allow both height and damping adjustments, giving the user the ability to manipulate ride height and damping control. Racing Dynamics Anti-Sway Bars keep the car virtually flat while cornering. The 27mm Front Bar has three adjustment points and the 24mm Rear Bar has two, allowing the user to fine-tune handling characteristics. Adjustable Heim Joint End Links and Urethane Bushings allow free travel without binding, letting the Anti-Sway Bars work as designed. The Racing Dynamics Aluminum Strut Braces, front and rear, reinforce the chassis, reducing chassis flex and maximizing tire contact. Racing Dynamics RD2 19" Road Wheels wrapped in 235/35 Continental Contact Sport S2 Tires keep the 330i firmly planted to the asphalt. PBR Brake Pads all around reduce brake fade and dust.

The Racing Dynamics "Power Kit" consists of Racing Dynamics Sport Camshafts and EMS Software, tuned to maximize efficiency and power output. A Carbon Fiber Engine Cover is also included in the "Power Kit" to awe onlookers when the hood is open. The Racing Dynamics Cold Air Intake features a composite heat shield to block unwanted hot air from entering the intake stream. Since the filter is mounted in the correct OE location, there is no risk of water ingestion as in other designs. The Racing Dynamics Sport Exhaust features Stainless Steel construction and dual 90mm round tips with the Racing Dynamics logo. The tone is aggressive, but not overpowering. Throttle response is improved with an Under-Drive Pulley Kit, which reduces the engine's rotational mass. The above upgrades net a respectable 278hp and 226 lb/ft. Not quite M3 territory, but an enormous improvement over the stock 225hp.

To help close the gap a little further, a 6-Speed gearbox was swapped in place of the stock 5-Speed unit. A BMW Performance Clutch and upgraded Drive Shaft was installed at the same time to improve reliability under hard driving. Installing a Euro-spec 3.46 Differential shortened the final drive. Top gear revs were raised slightly, but the improvement in acceleration from just the transmission and differential is impressive.

All in all, Gary's 330i is more than the sum of its parts. The drive train and suspension modifications blended with the styling components and interior enhancements combine to make a vehicle that gives the driver a unique driving experience. The vehicle slots itself easily above a stock 330, and just (barely) below the E46 M3.

For more information on Racing Dynamics, Inc. and products for your BMW, visit www.racdyn-usa.com or email sales@racdyn-usa.com.

tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.