View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 04:17 PM   #18
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGRon View Post
I am new to this forum and just purchased an 01' 330i that came with a xenon out and you guessed it a fried igniter, bulb and bulb mount melted together. In my research I have come across different part numbers for both igniters and ballasts pre 9/01 and aft. The early parts are bosch and post 9/01 are split between two different manufacturers, (not Bosch). The price is way different with the early model I have being 350.00 and the latter igniter being 100.00. Can these possibly be any different in spec??

Thanks
EGRON
sorry to hear about your mishap. anyways, if you can take a picture of the ignitor part. i'm fairly certain that it's an AL (Automotive Lighting, used to be a subsidiary of Bosch) ignitor as BMW only used 2 kinds for the e46. The other would be i believe Mitsubishi, which were only on ZKW units only (03 sedan models).

what you can do to make sure is go to www.realoem.com. type in your VIN number, and then go and search for your headlight and the ignitors. there it should give you the right part numbers, and you can look it up. I have an AL ignitor (the one pictured in my DIY) for sale if you happen to find that is the same one as yours.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote