View Single Post
Old 06-23-2002, 10:14 AM   #6
sp330i
Go fast Daddy!

My Ride: 330i
Re: small round mirrors on side view mirrors

Quote:
Originally posted by to
Are they worth it? Do they really give you a better view?

If you have a manual tranny, the passenger side view mirror does not tilt downwards correct?
I had one on my stock mirror on the driver's side no doubt. The problem is that they don't really give a better view. If you keep it small enough to not impede your grander view in the stock mirror, you can't see the small one. If you get a larger one, it not only looks ugly, it impedes the view of your stock mirror. To make the tilt down feature work, (if you have it) you have to have the L/R mirror switch to the driver's side position.

If you are looking for a wide angle view on the driver's side, I'd recommend that you purchase the following OEM mirror. It has the stock blue tint. The right side of the mirror is wide angle like the passenger side and the left small section after the split is ultra wide angle. It provides a much better view and eliminates all blind spots on your driver's side.

Buyer beware on this mirror - it takes a little getting use to. Like the passenger side mirror "objects are closer than they appear". Fortunately, that text is not printed on the mirror. To avoid an accident, just use caution while getting use to it.

I paid less than $50 for it from Hendricks. http://www.hendrickbmw.com/

Driver's side split mirror for sedan: 51-16-8-250-438
Driver's side split mirror for coupe: 51-16-8-247-131

Almost forgot to credit Alee from Bimmerfest and the Org for the pic. Thanks Alee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	split mirror.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	5853  

Last edited by sp330i; 06-23-2002 at 10:25 AM.
sp330i is offline   Reply With Quote