View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 10:20 PM   #33
e46_molten_silver

My Ride: 2004 325Ci (E46)
I have a 2004 325Ci (Coupe) that I am having trouble completing the same DIY as paraklas due to my outer (left) door handle not opening the door. My inner (left) door handle opens the door fine. The keyfob and the push button (center console) lock.unlock the doors fine. I've isolated it to a cable coming from the outer door handle inside the actual door (if you are looking at it from the bootm of the inside door panel, it'd be at the top, right where the cable connects to the outer door handle and there is a spring). There is a plastic retainer (similar to the one in A below) that pops into a "c-shaped" retainer (just like the one on the actuator in the picture below - A). Apparently this is coming off consistently, not allowing any leverage for the cable to go back to the actuator. Also, I believe the cable is stretched at the actuator point (from A to B in the picture below)where it pulls the lever to activate the actuator. Any ideas?

What would it cost if I were to take it to the dealer and just have them repair it? Would they even stick with my diagnosis? Or is it better to just have the local German auto repair shop fix it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	e46_actuator_02_with cable.JPG
Views:	1306
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	299821  
e46_molten_silver is offline   Reply With Quote