View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 11:51 AM   #19
MassBMW

My Ride: 325i
With a sedan you can cut the metal in the door and give the magnet a little more room vs. the coupes with the window track directly behind the speaker location. This allows you to run a slightly deeper driver, just need to clear the glass when the window is down. I was able to get almost 3" deep driver in my doors and keep my door skin intact. I did however have to modifiy (dremel) the backside of the door skins to fit the 7" diameter drivers which forced me to cut the 3 tabs that hold the door skin to the door. I wasnt happy to have to do this, but it was the only way to fit such a large driver and keep it behind the stock grill. It was very tight, but I was able to make it fit. Check out my thread here - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...3&postcount=35

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian320 View Post
MassBMW, Just curious of your comment, I have a sedan also and stumbled with the same problems when trying to fit a JL 6.5" woofer in the stock location. What I did has raised the plugs for the door panel to clear the woofer magnet. But needless to say I dont like it that much, at first seemed like a nice idea, but now I'm thinking of installing smaller 5.25" speakers for the woofers.
MassBMW is offline   Reply With Quote