View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #24
Is NOT A Mechanic
My Ride: F30
Originally Posted by timmyb35 View Post

how many different codes am I going to be able to read that are BMW specific if I purchase the Peake code reader other than the generic OBDII code reader? I am guessing that the peak only works for BMW vehicles or does it function with other vehicles as well?
I have no good way of giving you a specific number of un-represented codes, but the following quote from the article above is based on information from Peake's technical team:

More importantly, there are some fault codes that OBDII will simply not read. For example, in a review of codes for one specific model (2000 323i) there are more than twenty-five BMW Specific codes that are simply NOT REPRESENTED by the generic OBDII system. This is common for most models. Therefore, by relying on the readings from a generic OBDII tool, you are potentially missing important information.
To your second question - you are correct. The Peake tools are BMW-specific, and ONLY work on BMWs. Their sole function is to read the BMW Factory Programmed engine trouble code language.

Bimmertools is under new ownership! Please welcome
Click Here to say hi.
ken@bimmertools is offline   Reply With Quote