View Single Post
Old 03-21-2009, 11:44 PM   #26
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

My Ride: E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman9c View Post
It is not a responsibility to be taken lightly. Guys are joke around in here about guns and stuff, but I am sure they take it more seriously in the real world. I do.

Yes, you could take someone's life, but you could also save someone's life. That is how I look at it. You walk into a laundry mat and 3 guys are raping a girl. What do you do? Now what do you do with 15 rounds of 9mm in your hand?

Guns are serious business. Think about it though, the last time you were speeding or not coming to a complete stop at a red light, did you think to yourself "wow - I could have killed someone today" ?

Respect, training, comfort, and responsibility are needed for gun ownship just like they are needed for driving a 3000lb missle 70 mph that wont stop for 150ft.

JMHO
Short of the vigilante portion of your post, I agree 100%. I am quite pro-gun ownership, and even more so for people who are as serious as the hobby demands. I think my in-born unease with guns is that (in general) their purpose is to injure or kill. Again - I don't have a problem with that purpose - they are necessary tools sometimes, whether hunting or self defense. The only thing stopping me from wanting to own a gun myself is the root unease I have with the power to kill.

I also agree that driving bears the same responsibility. You can easily kill as quickly with a car as with a gun, but the car itself was not built for that purpose. I didn't buy a car with that intent, nor would I take a car to a facility and practice driving it into targets shaped like a torso. Accidents happen, and I am comfortable with the responsibility of due care.

Understand that I'm not arguing the point about guns being more dangerous than cars, just trying to verbalize my PERSONAL feelings and visceral reaction to them. It is truly just a 'nervous' thing, and not about a "guns are bad" platform.

Bimmertools is under new ownership! Please welcome Taylor@bimmertools.com.
Click Here to say hi.
ken@bimmertools is offline   Reply With Quote