View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #26
neil1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek142 View Post
amazing thread. thanks for taking the time to write all of that up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek142 View Post
Would you be able to discuss the electronics side of this a little more? Was it simple enough to do? Did you have to change a lot of things in the ECU regarding timing/fuel maps and other things or was everything strictly limited to settings having to do with the transmission? Reason I ask is b/c I wonder how feasible this would be on an M56 sulev (auto only and the ECU is different from M54's so there is no performance software out there).
yeah man, no problem. This is only half of the thread, i still havent made the other half. After I code the car, I will be taking a bunch of pictures and making a coding section of the DIY. This was my main concern when I thought of doing the swap. Without the help of some awesome forum members (you guys know who you are) I would have never gotten my car to start.

When I was researching doing the swap, I could never find actual instructions or information on programming the car, so it's my goal to post up instructions for future people who consider this swap. I was always PMing and Emailing members trying to find out what to do or just get an answer to a question. They were SO helpful, I will always be deeply indebted to them. But I realize that these people have their own lives and i know i probably pestered them all the time. So, im going to take what I learned from them and my research and save them time in the future by compiling a DIY for the forum. It might be a couple of weeks before I get to that though, but i'll definitely let you guys know.

But to answer your question directly, I have not coded my car yet. When I do, I will tell you guys how to do it and I will hopefully be able to explain it a little better. From what I know how to do, coding the car is not terribly difficult. You just need to know the right people and have access to the right equipment. In general, you are just changing the software of your car from an automatic to a manual. There are just a couple of steps you need to take in order to get there.

But as far as your M56 goes, I have no idea how to code that. I just know how to code older E46s, The pre-facelifts. Newer E46s dont have whats called ZCS, they have something more advanced that I dont know anything about. So I'm not the person to help you out on that one, you need to contact jbeurotech or someone of similar stature to answer that question

Last edited by neil1138; 03-22-2009 at 03:42 PM.
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote