Old 03-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #28
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
"A well armed society is a polite society. - Robert A. Heinlein

You don't understand it because you are not considering it from the viewpoint of someone who wishes to do harm to another person.

A well armed populous does not necessarily equal marshal law.

But further, the police are not your friends - they are not required to protect you. That wording on their cars is nonsense. And if you do trust them, when seconds matter, the police are only minutes away.

Nobody cares about your personal protection like you do. If you are okay with taking your chances with the police, that's fine. Just don't infringe my ability to protect myself.

Well, there's one very real situation, described below. You might recognize it.

"When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."

The government needs to keep its corrupt laws away from law abiding citizens' guns. The government should live in constant fear of the populous - not the other way around. As our declaration of independence showed, the final check and balance to a government's power is the populous' ability to defend itself.

Bud, we just have a polar opposite view of life, government, and society. I appreciate your well thought out and respectful response, even if I see the world differently.