Thread: New Set Up!
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 06:13 PM   #16
Kronk42583

My Ride: 2002 325i
the alpine PDX is nice in that it is compact, and takes the balanced inputs, but im not sure exactly how you run the factory wires in. usually there is a plactic adapter that you crimp your car's wires to and then plug in to the amp. this seems like a nice feature, but in reality, Line output converters like the one i use can be found for as little as $20. as for the non used wires, i simply taped the ends off and left them there in case i wanted to install the stock setup again.

i'm also gonna piggyback on your thread. im thinking about upgrading my setup as well. i have a 4X70w amp running fronts and a 10inch sub, and the sub leaves a bit to be desired, but the biggest issue is the fronts, i have alpine R 5.25inch. there is almost no midbass and the tweeter is way too bright even at the -9Db setting. simply turning the treble down on the deck just make the sound bad. i am reluctant to push 800w to my 10 inch sub as i don't care for earth shaking bass, i just want a more full and natural sound. this sub in my old Saab hit very hard at only 200w. i am planning on mounting 6.5 inch components to the door frame, as the stock mounting setup stinks. i think the bigger woofer and better install location might take care of a lot of the bass problems and soundstage problems i have. i just don't know what to get. i want good midbass and accurate sound, and smooth highs. can't spend a ton of money. i'm looking to spend $120-$180 TOPS on ebay(had great luck with great prices) for a set. its a bonus if they will also fit in the rear as i plan to replace the rear components later this summer. i have seen some diamond d362 cheap. and some focal access series. people seem to be high on them. any other suggestions?

(note: m3 gumby, i plan on upgrading to 300 or 400 watts on my 10. i think that should by plenty, especially with well installed quality components.)
Kronk42583 is offline   Reply With Quote