E46 Fanatics Forum banner

New England Chat Thread

152K views 541 replies 55 participants last post by  trizzuth 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
We all know we need one, let's try to make this one stick.

I am putting my 18's on tomorrow morning and the car is getting an alignment on Thursday at 8:30 at Bavarian Performance Group in Winchester. Can't wait.

For my next mod I'm thinking of either doing new brakes (previous owner put on crappy aftermarket pads and rotors so they pulsate and shake the wheel pretty bad when braking at higher speeds :ben:) but that's not really a "mod." I also want to do Hotchkis Sways :drool: I've always wanted them, but can never find a set at a good price. ($500+? :yikes:)

I also want to schedule a full detail, probably with the new sponsor in Wakefield (Unique something?) whose supposed to be really, really good. I guess I want the works, wax and definitely a good interior one as well. My rocker panels are all faded and yellowing, I'm hoping a good detailer can bring them back and they won't have to be resprayed. :eek:

What else is new?

$10 says Steel Gray Mike is the first on to reply.

See less See more
#255 ·
Man I def don't miss papers. I'm plugging away working 70+ hours a week now. Have a contract job working for same co as russo and then evenings at a healthclub. Kinda hating life because of all the work but saving away to buy a bachelor pad :woot:

in work, hating life, waiting to hear back if i got a job or not... interview process is just straight up ridiculous
I will be applying and interview for positions in Bos/Smithfield/ and or Westlake. Russo I'm sure you'll get the position you are shooting for. Instead of thank you card send them a thank you dinner in a box. Some steak and wine perhaps ;)

#261 ·
WTF is happening here? Who is talking about moving to Texas? Don't do it. Don't. you'll hate yourself forever. Sure, BMWs don't rust as much down there, but it's new england, it has character, we move at the speed of light compared to everywhere else! seriously, just don't do it!

and Chris, you're limiting your search area too much to the west. Get a cheap azz bachelor-pad-house-boat, rent a boat slip for a year, BAM, mobile pad on the water!!!! that would be siiiiiick.

#262 ·
#265 ·
you should check out Roslindale, parts are very ghetto, but there are some decent spots near hyde park towards the dedham side.. Jamaica plain is nice too, but even that is getting pricey the closer you get to the city. Anything to the west is just straight ridiculous rich town. How about anything near the west rox parkway? west rox itself, or norwood? damn, they are still pricey too.

move to the southcoast! It's the florida of massachusetts!

#273 ·
In the heezy.

Still pi$$ed off that I dropped one of my ZHP wheels on it's face. F.

#275 · (Edited)
I'm actually glad it wasn't a new one to begin with and just had my fresh 2 year lasting rattle can paint job. Cannot believe how good it's held up for this long, honestly. My rattle can paint job in the basement I did with lots of prep has lasted longer than the finish that came with my SSR GT3 reps when they were new! no joke. i must have major wheel skills. I think I'm gonna paint em gold now.

#276 ·
Just took my car in for inspection to find out my rear Bilstein sport shocks are blown once again.

They were originally put on 3/16/10 at 111k.

I replaced them on 4/22/11 at 132k because they were blown.

It is now 11/29/11 and I am at 140k. Gone again.

:banghead: :ben:

I'm frustrated. TMS is excellent with the warranty and stuff, and I know it's not their fault that Bilstein's quality has gone to shlt, but how many times am I going to do this?

#277 ·
I had a blown one as well on my 325i. But I hit a nasty pothole so it was expected.

I am having some noise from my suspension. I think its the rsm. Since that is the only thing I didnt replace when i overhauled my suspenion. I had the rsm but my mechanic said they didnt need replacement. I hope its just the rsm.

#281 ·
'sup!

#282 ·
thinking I need to replace my PS reservoir gasket and engine oil cap gasket. Bought two awhile ago for the PS reservoir for my car and my wife's, but when I got them, they were rounded, and not flat as I expected them to be. Tried fitting it on the PS cap, and it was just not meant to fit, can't even get it up on there because it sits in the threads. totally wrong gasket, how did I F that up? might stop by the dealer in norwood when I am up in Canton next week for a meeting..

in other news, the 330 just pulls like a beast at 80mph. it really is ridiculous how amazing BMWs are once you get em up to highway speeds. not to mention they love breathing in the cold weather.

Took a look at the tire wear on my Kooks yesterday as I finally moved them into my basement from my garage so when I need to refinish them, they're there and ready. Tire wear on the fronts is AMAZING given that I did a "driveway alignment". Tire wear on the rears is better than expected, but still wearing a tad more on the inside edge. Might have the tires swapped before the spring so i can prolong their life.

Get this: Might be going to a friend's house on Sunday to help him replace the starter on his wife's 99 328i. Sweet job. Anyone ever do that? Should be interesting trying to do this without dropping the tranny or removing the intake manifold.

#284 ·
haaaa, you hater. I work on a computer allllllll day long, so i can check in often.

#286 ·
Sup Russo.

So you work, you're on the forums, you don't work you're on the forums, it is seamless I see.. :)

#288 ·
Sam #100000000000000000000
1) Don't flatter yourself.

2) When are you fixing all the things that are wrong with your 330?

3) Try to follow instructions in the DIY section to fix things.

4) They may not be written to your specifications.

5) So you might have to speak up and teach the fools who wrote it how to write.

#293 ·
I may consider this, it's really not that bad of a job. Just remove all trunk carpet and foam till you can see them, jack car up and take off rear wheel (do one side at a time). Then use a jack stand to place it right under the center of the rear rotor and jack it up a little bit, so it puts pressure up on the shock. unbolt shock mount from inside trunk, then I think you just let off on the jack a little bit so it lowers the shock, and you can get the nuts/bolts out from under the fender. Do same to replace. Really not hard, just a PITA.

Hah, funny you'd mention this, you'll be proud to hear my plans.

Since moving back home :)/) I again have access to a relatives garage FULL of useful tools.

We replaced the caliper on Sunday and it is fixed.

My replacement E36 M3 Bilsteins arrived yesterday and are going in as soon as I can get to them.

I bought a Haynes manual (I know, Haynes sucks and I should use the DIY, but my gramps do)snt have wi-fi and I just need SOMETHING with pictures and information ya know? If I need more detail I'll print stuff out offline.)

I also have a low profile jack at the top of my Christmas list because the jack he has does not fit under my car so we have to pull up on the fender to get it under the jack point. Total pain in the ass, but I'm sure you don't have this problem. :rofl:

Thought this one looked good, but am open to any suggestions:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-2-1-2-ton-floor-jack-low-profile/p-00950165000P

Anyway, I have a final presentation tonight and another one on Thursday. Then one more huge project due on Monday and I am done with the class side of graduate school, just have my practicum in the Spring. :woot:

This means more time for me to do my own work on my car, something I'm sure you're happy to hear.
1) Wow, proud of you for once I guess.

2) I have the same issue jacking up the car, even though I am rocking a 4x4. I have to take the cup off of my big jack, so it's just the square and that gets under the jack pad. Then I jack it up there on one side, and once it gets up a little, I can get my other jack under the passenger side pad and then the car's up off the ground. Works great! Craftsman jacks are awesome, but both of mine came from Lowe's the Kobalt kind. Been using them for years and they work great.

3) I have the 30423i4204234 page bentley manual, if you are ever doing a job and need pics from there, just tell me what you need and I can take digital pics and send them to you. Honestly, I've opened that thing like 4 times since owning my car since most of the DIY's on here are so good with the pictures and instructions. Honestly.

4) Bilsteins again? Seriously? Your best bet now is to sell them while they're new, and buy some Sachs shocks.

5) does this garage have a lift?

Yes. UMass Lowell. Curriculum and Instruction (read: teaching) :)

1) Lowell, one of the most gorgeous towns in all of Massachusetts. Try not to get mugged on the way to class! HA.

#294 ·
Thats awesome man. I need to go back and finish my MBA just need to get work to pay for it first. ;)

Really not hard, just a PITA.
Yea, I dont have tools though since I live in a condo. I could borrow mine but it might be easier for me to grab a case of beer and drive down to the florida of mass and work on it with you. Or have me and Sam come down and have a tune up day. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.