E46 Fanatics Forum banner

XI Oil Guide Tube

5K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  mr_y82 
#1 ·
#2 ·
It looks like the part number you listed is correct. If your xi was made before 3/03, you will also need the "cable holder" referenced.

If your car was made 3/03 or after, you have the updated part per realoem. Check to see if that part number was ever used on a RWD e46 and see if it has been superseded.

Either way, I would just clean it and not replace it.

#4 ·
Either way, I would just clean it and not replace it.
I think the new flavor has a larger diameter outer tube less willing to clog.

I know my CCV is taking on strange behavior in the freeze. I read the "winter" kit has insulated tubing over all the fiddly pipes. Owners claim this sleeving is a pain to work with where some tear it off.

I am waiting 'till good weather to replace the bugger,clean the ICV etc. I keep looking at the catch-can option but probably will replace the factory bits and will upgrade that stick tube. I want the fix to work!

#7 ·
Gasoline, Brake cleaner, carb cleaner. I used it all.

Biggest tip is to get a small stiff piece of wire (or a pipe cleaner if you have it) and agitate the space in between the walls. I have even seen folks attach the wire to a drill and work it around to clean it.

The key is to do whatever it takes and use whatever to clean it.

#9 · (Edited)
You need to the 438 tube and o ring. All M54 engines should use this. For some reason Real OEM does not list it. Its not cheap but worth avoiding the problems.

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B11 08 03 dated February 2009.
SUBJECT
Oil Separator - Cold Climate Conditions
MODEL
E39 (5 Series) all with M54 engine
E46 (3 Series) all with M54 engine
E53 (X5) all with M54 engine
E60 (5 Series) all with M54 engine
E83 (X3) all with M54 engine
E85 (Z4) all with M54 engine

E46 (3 Series) all-wheel drive only
Part Number Description Quantity
11 61 7 534 237 Oil Separator Repair kit 1
11 43 7 565 438 Dip Stick Guide Tube 1
11 15 7 532 629 Hose 1

#16 · (Edited)
Ahh, thanks!

edit: so anyone know if I will need the "cable holder" with the new design tube?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.