E46 Fanatics Forum banner

2001 bmw 325ci faulty sports mode

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Dave1027 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I've been reading problems on your site for quite a while and decided to join you ! I was wondering, i'm trying to find out why the sports mode does not engage anymore. When i move the shifter left it usually engages in to sports mode but for an unknown reason it pops back in to automatic mode. Has this ever happened to someone ?

#5 · (Edited)
Did a bunch of searches but could not find the steptronic spring thread :(

If it POPs back into the automatic side, it's the spring in the shifter mechanism. (by shifter mechanism, I mean the one in the interior)
If it does not go electronically into sport mode, it's the micro switch in or the wiring to the shifter mechanism.

Basically, the shifter mechanisms connections to the transmission are electronic, and mechanical.
PRND are controlled by the mechanical cable.
The steptonic/sport functions are electronic (while the mechanical portion keeps the transmission in drive).

There is no mechanical feedback from the transmission or electronics designed to push the shifter mechanism out of sport mode.
There is no mechanical connection to the transmission that will inadvertently push/pull the shifter mechanism out of sport mode that would not affect the transmissions basic PRND functionality as the cable only slides in/out (no twist connection to the mechanism)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.