E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Import a CSL???

18K views 101 replies 55 participants last post by  m3e46freak 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever imported a CSL from the UK? I have seen people import nissan skylines.. figure it could be done with a csl all the same?

#53 ·
nleksan speaks truth

Is it possible? Sure. Hell I could probably do it if I get stationed in Germany. Is it worth it? Not really for all the trouble you would have to go through. Just build your own car, drive it, be happy with it. Otherwise you are going to be spending 100k+ on a car that a US M3 with 50k total invested (including the car) would smoke in every way. Now if I lived in Europe it would be a completely different story. I would pull the trigger on one without thinking twice. But we're here and they're there.

#54 ·
nleksan speaks truth

Is it possible? Sure. Hell I could probably do it if I get stationed in Germany. Is it worth it? Not really for all the trouble you would have to go through. Just build your own car, drive it, be happy with it. Otherwise you are going to be spending 100k+ on a car that a US M3 with 50k total invested (including the car) would smoke in every way. Now if I lived in Europe it would be a completely different story. I would pull the trigger on one without thinking twice. But we're here and they're there.

#63 ·
Exchange rate plus shipping plus import fee plus import tax plus probable custom registration and full inspection.

I think that even if you could buy one for 45K, you'll probably be paying 55-60K in the long run.

And: Why the hell are you all looking on the UK market? Do you want your steering wheel on the right hand side?!

#64 ·
Exchange rate plus shipping plus import fee plus import tax plus probable custom registration and full inspection.

I think that even if you could buy one for 45K, you'll probably be paying 55-60K in the long run.

And: Why the hell are you all looking on the UK market? Do you want your steering wheel on the right hand side?!
:slap:

#71 ·
here you go: http://www.usautoparts.net/bmw/bmw/importing.htm

Want to import a BMW? Unless the car is over 25 years old, a Z1 used for show or display, or a race car, you will need to know about US government regulations.
A widely quoted but valuable starting point is Customs Publication No. 520. Here is what the Customs Publication says:

Imported motor vehicles are subject to safety standards under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966, revised under the Imported Vehicle Safety Compliance Act of 1988; to bumper standards under the Motor Vehicle Information and Cost Savings Act of 1972, which became effective in 1978; and to air pollution control standards under the Clean Air Act of 1968, as amended in 1977 and 1990. Most vehicles manufactured abroad that conform with U.S. safety, bumper, and emission standards are exported expressly for sale in the United States; therefore, it is unlikely that a vehicle obtained abroad meets all relevant standards. Be skeptical of claims by a foreign dealer or other seller that a vehicle meets these standards or can readily be brought into compliance. Nonconforming vehicles entering the United States must be brought into compliance, exported, or destroyed.

So what can you do? Here are some tips:

Contrary to what you might read elsewhere, you can do it yourself. If you decide to do-it-yourself, you will at a minimum have to complete all of the forms and pay a tax.

Have all the paperwork for the vehicle including the bill of sale, foreign registration, and any other documents covering the vehicle.

Get a letter from BMW of North America, if you can, describing the differences between the US model and the imported model. Most of the model differences will not matter to the US agencies, but some will, depending on current US laws. A letter from "a dealership or foreign representative" will not be accepted.

For the EPA, make sure there is a manufacturer's label in the English language affixed to the car, stating that the vehicle meets all U.S. emission requirements. Otherwise, the car must be modified to meet the requirements.

The best way to import your BMW is to hire an importer. Make sure the company is a licensed DOT Registered Importer. Ideally, the importer should be registered with DOT and EPA and have experience importing BMWs.

US Government agencies and the people that deal with them use a lot of acronyms. So before we begin, here is a list of some of the most common acronyms:

DOT
Usually, the Department of Transportation, but could also be the Department of the Treasury, the agency responsible for the US Customs Service.

EPA
Environmental Protection Agency. Insures the vehicle meets current US exhaust emissions requirements.

NHTSA
National Highway, Traffic & Motor Vehicle Safety Agency. Insures the vehicle meets Federal Motor Vehicle Safety, Bumper, Theft Prevention and other Standards.

RI
Registered Importer. The job of the DOT registered importer is to modify foreign vehicles to confirm to DOT standards. The process costs money and takes time. Click here for a current list of DOT RI's.

ICI
Independent Commercial Importer. EPA maintains a list.

CFR
Code of Federal Regulations. US laws governing Importation of Vehicles, Registered Importers, and more.

IRS
Internal Revenue Service. Insures that all taxes are paid.

FMVSS Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. The imported vehicle must meet all the US safety standards.

Do It Yourself

Most people choose to have an agency do the work for them, but there is no reason why you can't be your own importer. If you decide to do the job yourself, make sure you are prepared and your knowledge is current. Click here if you want to have someone do the work for you.

Get up to speed on the regulations!

Start with the NHTSA web page on vehicle importation regulations. Be sure to check the Vehicle Eligibility List and the FMVSS Booklet.

Read Customs Publication No. 520. The US Customs Officer at the vehicle's port of entry is usually the first contact for you, your paperwork and your car. Sometimes, if all is well, it is the only agency contact.

Understand the laws and regulations.

You will need some Forms:

HS-7 Form
Importation of Motor Vehicles and Motor Vehicle Equipment Subject to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety, Bumper and Theft Prevention Standards (pdf).

HS-474
Bond To Ensure Conformance With Motor Vehicle Safety And Bumper Standards (pdf).

Customs Form #3299
Declaration of Free Entry of Unaccompanied Articles (zip).

Exhaust Emissions

Vehicles that do not have an emissions label should have a letter from BMW North America stating that the vehicle meets US emissions standards. The EPA has a form that states all of the requirements. Click here to view the form (pdf).

States in the USA may have their own emissions requirements. For example, the emissions requirements for the State of California exceed the requirements of the Federal Government. For information regarding requirements in a specific state, we advise you to contact the Department of Motor Vehicles or other appropriate agency in that state since the requirements vary by state. Click here for information about bringing a car or truck into California.

Contact by letter or fax, BMW of North America and request a 'Letter of Compliance' to safety and emissions standards. You will be required to provide the vehicle Identification Number, Make, Model and Year as well as the name of the registered owner. They will arrange to forward a letter advising if your automobile qualifies and what if any upgrades must be done to bring the vehicle to standards.

For federal regulations concerning vehicle emissions contact the Environmental Protection Agency, Manufacturers Operations Division, EN-340, 401 M Street SW, Washington, DC 20460, (202) 564-9660.

Preparation

Ideally, you ship the car and give the paperwork to the agent you meet at the dock. He or she reads the forms, inspects the vehicle, signs the forms, and you drive off. Rarely is the process this simple.

Create a folder. Have all the paperwork for the vehicle including the bill of sale, foreign registration, and any other documents covering the vehicle. We recommend you do this before you ship the vehicle. Make sure you keep copies of the documents.

In the folder, you should have the letter from BMW of North America describing the differences between the US model and the imported model, and stating that the vehicle meets US emissions standards and FMVSS standards.

Vehicles manufactured to meet the FMVSS standards will have a certification label affixed by the original manufacturer in the area of the driver-side door. If the car has the FMVSS and EPA stickers on a model made for export into the USA, you should have no problem with the DOT.

Certify that the car has been professionally cleaned. Steam cleaning the engine and underbody kills insects and keeps the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) happy. Otherwise, they may fumigate and temporarily store the vehicle (at your expense) until it has been certified safe to drive.

Modifying the Vehicle

You may have to have the vehicle modified in order to import it into the USA. Here is where you can spend the money and practice your paperwork skills!

You must enlist the services of a DOT Registered Importer (RI). The job of the RI is to modify foreign vehicles to confirm to DOT standards. The process costs money and takes time. Click here for a current list of DOT RI's. Here's how it works:

A vehicle without the DOT certification label must be imported as a nonconforming vehicle. In this case, the importer must contract with a DOT Registered Importer and post a DOT bond for one and a half times the vehicle's dutiable value. This bond is in addition to the normal Customs entry bond. Copies of the DOT bond and the contract with an RI must be attached to the HS-7 form.

Here are some common - and some not-so-common - modifications and possible pitfalls:

Failure to meet emission requirements

Failure to meet safety standards

Replace kmh speedometer with mph

Tires sold in Europe must have a DOT number marked on the sidewall

Some BMWs may have to pay a gas-guzzler or luxury tax

Some creative people have devised workarounds to the regulations. Here are some examples:

Import as a farm vehicle.

Import as an off-road vehicle.

Import as a race car.

Disassemble the vehicle and ship as parts.

Use the vehicle for show and display only. The BMW Z1 is an example of a car in this category.

In some instances, a temporary approval can be obtained for a non-performing vehicle. The vehicle must be exported one year after entry with no extensions permitted.

Remember, if you choose one of these alternatives, you may not be able to obtain a motor vehicle registration from your local government. More importantly, your vehicle may not be imported and, under US law, it can even be exported or destroyed!

Pay the Taxes

The current Duty Rate for imported automobiles is 2.5% of the declared value. The vehicle may also be subject to gas-guzzler (the vehicle has poor gas mileage) and luxury taxes (the vehicle has a high value).

Laws, Agencies and Regulations

The National Traffic & Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966 established the agency of the same name within the Department of Transportation. Click here for the agency's home page.

Applicable Laws:

49 CFR 591
Importation of Vehicles and Equipment Subject to Federal Safety, Bumper, and Theft Prevention Standards.

49 CFR 592
Registered Importers of Vehicles Not Originally Manufactured to Conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

Within the USA, copies of the CFRs can be purchased from the Government Printing Office (GPO).

Click here for a Copy of the Federal Register Notice for Show or Display of a vehicle (pdf).

Customs matters can be obtained from:

Classification and Value Division
Department of the Treasury
U.S. Customs Service
Washington, DC 20229
(202) 927-0300

Click here for another version of Customs Publication No. 520.

Click here for The VIN Law.

#82 ·
There was a real CSL for sale not too long ago. Some guy in Florida was selling it. He said it had to be used for off road purposes only that it couldnt be registered in the US legally. It wasn't just the emissions it had to do with airbags and some other things as well.

#86 · (Edited)
Let me clear this up, there is only ONE CSL in the USA as of now and yes this is the same one that was seen at Active Autowerke. This is the real deal and it is street legal and registered (hence the license plate). I know the person that brought the car to the US, and he was the original owner. Too bad he sold it :facepalm:

Here are some photos i took of the car :thumbup:

Attachments

#88 ·
I know this is a massively old thread, but it's on a subject I'm very interested in. Always loved the CSL, and it is my goal to find / acquire one (next to impossible - I know...).

Is anyone aware of any CSLs in the US and where they might be located? I have heard many rumors of more than one being here (to the tune of 3+ on the east coast and 2+ on the west coast), but other than the one in Miami, have no leads. Any help would be appreciated.

#89 ·
I have heard of one that was spotted at active autowerke but that is it. I would love to see pics!!!

#95 · (Edited)
I've been running the CSL smg software on my e46 m3 for the last 3 years and to be honest i dont recall noticing anything different that the regular smg software.

The only side effect that tune had was that now my car starts in auto shift s3 mode by default. Whereas the regular smg software used to be s3 manual mode.

As for shifting performance,i wonder if the difference would only really be noticed in s6 shift mode, especially on a track?

I also have the M-Track mode programmed. Now that you can most definitely notice as DSC is a lot less intrusive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.