E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Rotated Tires, Now my DSC is coming on more????

5K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  danielkspencer 
#1 ·
I had a set of 1/2 worn out tires on the back and new ones on the front. I rotated them out today to save my new ones. Now if I go into a curve a little quick my warning light flashes on my dash for my stability control. The tires aren't that worn out by any means and I never had this problem a month ago when they were on the front before I got the new ones and moved them to the back. Any Ideas???????
I checked all my tire pressures and rechecked the torque on my lugs.

Doesn't seem to be driving any differently, either.

#4 ·
But why would the tires slip when I'm going around the same curves as always at the same speeds and they didn't slip before with the other tires or with these same tires a couple of weeks ago when they were on the front. I'm a pretty avid driver and I know how to take a curve. I'm saying I could have been taking these curves twice as fast as I was last night without the DSC light comming on before. Now it comes on taking a 25mph curve at 30mph. I could usually take the same curve at 40mph without a problem. The only time I ever have my DSC come on usually is when I'm taking off too fast from a dead stop.

#5 ·
first, ill ask the stupid question, just be safe: You're not staggered are you?

Could be you have a bad alignment/camber issue on one (or more) wheels that has led to an uneven wear of the tire, so now that the uneven tire is on a presumably good (or at least different) spot, its not getting an even contact patch? I dunno, just an idea.....

#7 ·
Here's my theory.

If you were out of alignment before, just a little bit, and then rotated your tires then your tires were worn slightly unevenly. Then when rotated, your tires are now straight and true so not as much of the tire is touching. After a few (maybe a couple hundred?) miles they will wear to where they should be according to their current location.

That's just my idea. I just switched back to my summer tires and they slipped just as much as my 1 inch thinner All Seasons. After a couple hundred miles the tires started to stick. I know my alignment was off when I took the tires off, so this is my story, and I'm sticking with it.

#8 ·
Is it different brands front and rear?
I had some Bridgestone's up front and then I put 2 NEW Pirelli's at the back. Same issue. DSC coming on for nothing. I put the Pirelli's on the front and moved the Bridgestone's to the back. Problems are over. To this day I still dont know why this happened, but the DSC is not coming on no more

#11 ·
I had a set of 1/2 worn out tires on the back and new ones on the front. I rotated them out today to save my new ones. Now if I go into a curve a little quick my warning light flashes on my dash for my stability control. The tires aren't that worn out by any means and I never had this problem a month ago when they were on the front before I got the new ones and moved them to the back.
You said the car doesn't drive any differently, but have you noticed when the DSC light flashes? During braking/turn in? Or at a steady side load with steady throttle? Or when you're really on the throttle and accelerating through or out of the corner?

Isn't this obvious? Now you have the more worn tires on the back, it's not holding traction as well...thus more DSC...
:facepalm:

Good call noob. Except:

#1 - The new tires are now on the back. :read:

#2 - Unless they're ridiculously aged or abused, the worn tires will grip better than the new ones on dry pavement. Less tread = shorter tread blocks = less tread deflection and more contact patch stability = better adhesion on dry pavement.

#3 - We don't know which corner or axle the DSC is activating in order to babysit. It's entirely possible the computer senses impending excessive slip angle at the front. Without driving the car or better info from OP, we don't know if the thing is trying to control understeer or oversteer.

:tsk:

#13 ·
You said the car doesn't drive any differently, but have you noticed when the DSC light flashes? During braking/turn in? Or at a steady side load with steady throttle? Or when you're really on the throttle and accelerating through or out of the corner?

:facepalm:

Good call noob. Except:

#1 - The new tires are now on the back. :read:

#2 - Unless they're ridiculously aged or abused, the worn tires will grip better than the new ones on dry pavement. Less tread = shorter tread blocks = less tread deflection and more contact patch stability = better adhesion on dry pavement.

#3 - We don't know which corner or axle the DSC is activating in order to babysit. It's entirely possible the computer senses impending excessive slip angle at the front. Without driving the car or better info from OP, we don't know if the thing is trying to control understeer or oversteer.

:tsk:
Ah, I just read the first sentence wrong.
Ouch.. :eeps: :rofl: :facepalm:

#17 ·
Probably it. My car does something similar. i had some nails in one of my rear tires so i just put new ones in the back. They have waaay more grip than the front, and the car understeers more than it should.

as soon as those fronts wear out i'll put 2 of whats in the back on the front.

#18 ·
The last few have it, it's the traction difference. Even though my old tires are only half worn it makes a difference. BMW agrees. P.S. No I'm not staggered. That would have been. . . well anyway. I'm not. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.