E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Cracked my windshield last night

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  ryansser 
#1 ·
Well driving home from my friends late late last night, about 1.30am to be exact this happens, BOOM! Thought a gun shot at my window! But I looked and the passenger side were my friend was got shattered by what we weren't sure till a officer came to the incident (who happened to be a block away, honked him down) and it was some dumb Christmas tree plastic toy that lights up, idk what this crap was. Had to be some dumb kid. Glass shattered all the way to the rear passsanger seats and went in my friends throat, or so he thinks (he was next to me so it cracked in his face) but this kid didn't even know the glass cracked till I pointed it out! Anyway here's the pics...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
What ever it was hit with quite a force.

Doubt is was something plastic unless it was loaded with batteries.

Just be glad that it was not heavy enough to rip though the plastic center part if the windshield.

What ever it was must have been dropped or thrown and you must have been moving more than 25 MPH? Must have weighed as much as a baseball?

Glad nobody was hurt to badly, I hope your passenger is ok, glass is a PITA to deal with and remove from injuries.

#3 ·
That sucks!
Interview your installer real well as I recently drove a ZHP with a poorly installed windshield and you could hear air leaking. Gawd I hate that.

Rookie installers tend to be rough and impatient.
Tj

#14 ·
My dad was telling me the same thing! he said go to safelite cause its guarantied for life from problems like these so thats what i went with, sadly the guy came today and he brought the wrong window... guess i need to go till monday now with a cracked windshield in the poring rain of CA :tsk:

#4 ·
You weren't driving on the 580 by chance, were you?

My friend was driving on the 580 on his way to brentwood and somebody threw a 8 pound spool of wire from a construction site off an overpass, and it went through his windshield and broke his arm. When he got to the hospital, there was also another person that was there and was shaken up from the same thing. A few days later somebody did the same thing to an ambulance.

Be glad that's the only damage. My friend had to get a stainless steel plate screwed to his arm.

#6 ·
Use Glass Doctor. They only use OE or OEM glass, no exceptions, and they will also order glass from wherever you'd like. Some dealerships have OE glass for very cheap, and I highly recommend it. There is one in NJ that has OE glass for $260 shipped.

#7 ·
I had safelite recently do mine and they used OE glass and he did a steller job at the replacement and installed new gaskets and the trim piece, also was very clean with it, even washed all the windows and vacuummed the whole car, plus has a lifetime warranty.

#8 ·
Ouch!

Hope you and your friend are alright. When instances like this occur, a slight "placebo" like effect may kick in. He might have swallowed a little bit of glass but is convinced by the shattered glass all around him that he swallowed more.

#10 ·
So I talked with the insurance and my deductible is 1k so this is all money from my pocket :( luckily safelite can install it today still so I'm waiting on them while I'm writing this, going to be a little under $400, as for the other guy who asked me were I was driving, no it was just some "ghetto" street in mountain view, ca

#11 ·
That really is unfortunate! Can't stand how people always just throw things out the window is the least bit of care. Worst I ever have/had to deal with is riding a motorcycle...people with throw the cigarette out the window and if im not wearing my full face helmet, hits me in the face.

Important part is you and your friend are fine and you car can be fixed.

#17 ·
Ive always had my deductibles at a 1000, till i bought my 325. I financed through a credit union and was forced to do 500. Sadly some areas of the country just make insurance wayyy to expensive, so to save some cash we take a chance... also, bad driving records account for higher insurance you know. My record is ok, but not spotless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.