E46 Fanatics Forum banner

BSW Stage 1 install... but, what is up with my car?!

12K views 22 replies 3 participants last post by  willks 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, it was a good start to the day - my BSW Stage 1 boxes were sitting there coldly while I sorted out my ESS TS2 start up issues (damn leaky injectors!). So, full of optimism I started to dismantle my 2005 build 325ci M sport. The BSW guys spare no detail in showing us how to install this kit as I had a PDF version, and also had a helpful Youtube step-by-step for those to scared to break their cars like me. Some things puzzled me though - instead of having 4 screws as per instructions - mine had 5 on the drivers door.
Oh well, I proceeded as planned. I removed the drivers door trim (right hand drive car here in Aus) - and saw that I had a different setup to what I'd normally expect to see!

Problem 1:
My car has NO mid driver next to the tweeter.

Problem 2:
My car has the tweeter connected in parallel to the mid-bass driver! The BSW test vehicle seems to have a separate connection for the tweeter/mid-bass driver, where as mine only has one big plug that is meant to drive all speakers.

Problem 3:
My car has no mid ranger driver on the rear passenger panels, but I have and airbag instead! There is also only one 3 pin connector behind the door trim. Oh, I also have a German cockroach in the foam stuffing (picture not supplied - as I disposed of it fast, although it appears prettier and more efficient cockroach to ours). There was a 3-prong connect which matched the supplied BSW read mid driver, but when I connected and test stereo, there was no sound.

Problem 4: (related to #2)
My car has 4 Ohm mid-bass drivers, where as the supplied BSW speakers have 1.6 Ohm (as I recall).

The more I think about it, the more I think I ordered the wrong kit - or I have some kind of weird vehice? I've supplied pictures of all the bits I though were relevant at the time - even the amp (or, what I think is the amp).

Can anyone help me figure out what the issue is?

The video link is the original BSW install link:

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UIPUD6H4Ak)

My car is the Non-HK version, with no satellite navigation but it DOES have the large screen on centre console

Oh one more thing, on the last photo - that is a pic of the plugs available. Unfortunately, the 'light blue' connector is the connection for the drivers door rear mirror joystick.. not the tweeter/mid connection

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Ok it appears on contemplating it for a while, that my car only has a 6-speaker system. Far out. The only way to really find out is to rip your car apart before you order. Silly me, I should have done that - but seriously, I've never heard of a 6-speaker e46 coupe (MY2005)! Short of replacing the speaker cabling throughout the car and possibly a new amp - is there anyway I can install all of these speakers? Looks like the european builds (or just maybe the Australian special?) has a different speaker system than what I was expecting?

*confused*

Help!!

:banghead:

Some more pics below of radio/OBC for reference, if anyone knows what is going on

Attachments

#3 · (Edited)
Unless your car had the optional HK sound system when ordered new then it's standard for your coupe to have a 6 speaker system.
Everything looks as it should be in your photos also, the front door panels are supposed to have 5 screws holding it in place not 4 so that is correct on your car as well.
Are you sure you received the right kit from BSW, maybe you got the HK or sedan version?
By the way, that silver box below the CD Changer is not an Amp.

#4 ·
Hmm maybe the kit is wrong? Interesting you should say about the 'silver' thing - what is it? There is another box behind it that seems to have a quite a thick wiring loom going into it. I felt around it. I'll remove it all tomorrow and try and piece together what it is. I do know I have the bluetooth handset module as I managed to get iPhone to display contacts on tv screen.

Yeah definitely not the HK in here

#5 ·
Not sure what it is, I wouldv'e first said it's for the navigation unit but you said you don't have navigation so maybe it's something to do with your bluetooth.
Here's a pic of the OEM amplifier in the boot so that silver box shown in your pic is definitely not the Amp, the Australian and Euro cars did not come standard with an Amp. while the US models get the Amp. as standard.

So how many speakers came with your BSW kit?
I'm still not quite sure as to why you can't install the BSW speakers?

Here's a pic of how the OEM amplifier looks......

#6 · (Edited)
Yes that looks like an amp! I have a similar cable bundle but I must be wrong seeing as the amp is non-standard. BSW supplied (as advertised) 10 speakers in total (10 individual drivers).
Ok reasons I can't install are that the tweeter/mid-range bass-mid hooked up in parallel would give an overall impedance lower than 1.6 Ohms. The original factory speaker mid-bass is 4 Ohms, and the tweeter is 8Ohms, and they are hooked in parallel (so, approx 2.67 Ohm) . I'm afraid of driving the output of the HU too hard and blowing something else. Also, I have to do a little 'soldering' but I'm not afraid of this, I' m just worried of blowing the output entirely... hmmmm.. maybe then I'd have a reason for a total overhaul!
The BSW system is made for the 'amp' models which have individual connections going to the door mid-bass and tweeter/mids (2 connectors) whereas my car only has one connector, which is fed in parallel to the tweeter. As all the speakers are rated lower impedance than what the stock speakers are, I'll be drawing extra current from the 'amp'. Best case is a blown fuse I guess!

#7 ·
It could be one of two things, either you received the wrong speaker package or as you mentioned maybe they are not made to go with our cars that don't have the factory amp.
Although from you saying that you received 10 speakers I have a feeling that you received the HK speaker set instead of the standard one.
Here's a link to what the standard Stage 1 BSW Speaker set consists of and it shows only 8 speakers (the extra 2 being for the two rear passenger panels)......http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/product/372/174/BMW-Speakers-Upgrade-Kit-E46-3-Series-Coupe/

#9 ·
Ahh sorry I think I am being misleading - there are 8 speakers, but 2 tweeters. I'm beginning to think that maybe they are not made for non-US cars. Damn. That is the same kit I ordered (rummaging through order emails). I know so much about this car under the bonnet now, but I made this purchase when my knowledge infantile. Still learning!

Guess Australian buyers (read: me) should be more careful :)

:facepalm:

#10 ·
I'm sure that BSW would take the speakers back and refund your money considering the situation, although you'd think that they would've known if their speaker set was not compatible with non US models.
I'd send them a message or call them and see what they can or will do for you because shipped over here they would have cost you close to a grand wouldn't they?

#11 ·
They were very good with the shipping considering how far it is! Hmm.. I forget the price exactly, but the way I thought about it - it was going to cost more to get the job done here than importing and DIY. You are right, time to concede defeat and ask if they'll accept. Everything is still intact, just boxes opened but speakers never installed. Thanks for the help!

#14 ·
Will do.... Hmmm the more I look at it.. the more I think I got the right package, but still, I contacted Halston and I'll report back as soon as I clear up what I have/got.. and if it will work for Aus spec cars. I don't want speculate and confuse others :) Still I'll post pics of the boxes in my boot

thanks again

#15 ·
I will reply to your email as well. It appears you have "Euro Standard" or "Base". This lacks some of the features of an HK or "HiFi"(US Standard). This is going off your photos.

#16 ·
Yes I think you are right. Below are some shots of the stuff in the beneath the boot (trunk).

First 2 pictures are a BM53
Second 2 - I don't know what that is.. maybe tv or something? All I know is that it gets warm and the fan starts to spin once in a while.

Short of getting my own 'hifi' wiring loom and installing a standard amp - I don't know what else I can do. Also, I don't know what happens behind the head unit with regards to feeding the signal back to amp, back to speakers. Sounds like a pretty good thing to do when the car is being assembled right? Or can it be done post manufacture?

Attachments

#18 · (Edited)
Well, Halston has said they are willing to refund (very good support huh!)... before I do, I'm investigating if I can install the wiring loom + necessary HU adapters to amp... I'm still researching this, but the speakers Halston sent are correct for the coupe in the US. Turns out the US gets all the goodies ;) European spec cars (which is what we have) get a dud radio - WORSE than the standard hifi available in the US... plus, the US pays less for the car new hahaha. Oh well, the benefit of a large market :)

In the end, unless we have the HK system, or Upgraded HIFI system in our cars, we can't install this plug'n'play. I'm going to do a lot of heavy reading tonight on the HIFI wiring loom ($700 US!!!), plus, standard amp and hooking this all up to the HU. I'm thinking that the BM53 connects to the standard amp, then the HIFI wiring loom connects to the speakers? But I am be wrong here (speculation)

#22 ·
Yeah I bought the whole kit.. .such was my impatience with the sound hahaha. Yeah, you're right. I've blown away enough money in the last 2 months - I'll keep subby and upgrade front speakers and use stock BM53 to run it all. I'll report back with my findings on the BM53 line out pins.. i hope they are not fixed level.

#23 ·
Ok, turns out the LINE OUT (LEFT,RIGHT) of the BM53 uses differential outputs instead of traditional RCA line signals (1.5Vpeak). I'm just going to use the LOC on the rear speakers to tap out the signal for subby. I hooked up sub in my living room for a quick test (after faking the REMOTE ON) - and it has a nice tight musical bass, with plenty of volume for MY ears. Bass is subjective and everyone has their own needs. This is perfect for me as I enjoy deep,clear, punchy bass - which this unit has.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.