E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Oil leak related to a stopped up PCV valve???

7K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  CrazyOneToo 
#1 · (Edited)
I originally had an issue with my 1999 328i E46 dying on rather cold mornings. It never does it in warm or hot weather so I wasnt really worried about it. It would idle for a bit then die. After I restarted it it ran just fine. I have not noticed any rough idle or misfires. It may have had them but I just didnt notice. Recently I noticed a drop of oil here and there under the car. When I took it to my mechanic he at first thought maybe a rear main seal leaking due to it being at the rear of the engine. He removed the under cover, cleaned it pretty good and drove it some but it leakes so lilttle he says he cant tell for sure. Its not running out enough to have blowback on the trans or any other parts. Sorta implying it only does it when the car is stopped. IDK. He now says it could be this PCV valve stopped up and forcing oil out at times from building up pressure. Sounds logical to me since pressure need to escape somewhere. But I'm no mechanic!!!! I trust this guy but no one is perfect.

He gave me a price of $400 for (parts from BMW) and his labor. He said something about that also includes a hose in there somewhere. I'd prefer to do it myself if its not to hard. The rear main seal is a whole other story tho. lol

Thoughts on this being the problem???

Thanks
Alan

See less See more
#3 ·
The CCV itself can get plugged up and the dipstick drain from the CCV can get clogged up too. I recently had an oil leak and determined it was the oil pan gasket, which I replaced. The only other oil leak that pops up is the oil filter housing, which is in front of the CCV valve. I don't recall hearing anyone who posted about a rear main seal leak, although I'm sure that can happen.

The CCV parts can be bought from a discounting BMW dealer for under $150. Several have kits where they've put the parts together. Replacement is involved, but doable for the home mechanic. Here's the DIY I used: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417819

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.