E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Panic-Help-Parked in a Sandbox-Brake Issue-DSC

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Brian's 325xi 
#1 ·
Well not quite-But close in relative terms.

There are several cups of fine sand like brake dust in my garage under each of my left wheels.

Why/How is it shedding it the garage. Wouldn't it blow away before accumulation?

It makes a groan out the hub sometimes after the car is shut off. Brake system noise? ABS sensor

My rotors ground down significantly (have 1/4" rim) over the course of two weeks.

I did the front drivers cv axle 3 weeks ago and after have a thud, thud, thud that I thought was the wheel bearing. As its temp dependent and brakes ironically had no influence on thud and seemed functionally fine. Diff is fine. Shop says CV Axle is great and car fine-they're wrong obviously.

Would the DSC algorithm apply constant brakes to the left wheel?

I'm lost guys and I'm freaking out!

See less See more
#2 ·
I would first take a guess at sticking calipers. It is not uncommon to have a sticky caliper on cars of this age. I'd start there first. $100 total fix if you get your own remanufactured calipers.

It would be really, really rare if DSC messed up without telling you some sort of warning sign . You'd see the light flashing if it ever applied brake pulses, and then usually if it starts erroneously activating you'll see the light stay on. That is indicative of a wheel speed sensor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.