E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Have you experienced a subframe failure in your XI?

• No failure, more than 60k miles.

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • No failure, more than 80k miles.

Votes: 25 30.1%
  • No failure, more than 100k miles.

Votes: 41 49.4%
  • Failed by 60k miles

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Failed by 80k miles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Failed by, or after, 100k miles

Votes: 1 1.2%

XI subframe failure?

10K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  chaso 
#1 · (Edited)
Have you experienced a subframe failure in yer XI?

I don't have any symptoms of a failure at 104k miles. I've heard XI's are less susceptible to failure b/c we have less torque going to the rear wheels than regular 330's and 325's.

The reason I ask, is b/c I just put an aftermarket suspension on, I don't have any symptoms of failure, and I'm wondering if it's is worth putting the stock suspension back on to get the subframe inspected as part of the class action settlment.

#25 ·
Well, if you do a little more detailed analysis, a 1999-2000 328Ci has a 2% failure rate on this site alone. A 1999-2000 323ci has a 1.5% failure rate on this site alone. That is only those reported here. The numbers keep climbing...
Okay, forget the exact percentage numbers for a minute. My original post was before they enlisted the free inspection when speculation and crazy talk was breaking out on this site. I called BMWNA and had an interesting talk with a representative who quoted the low numbers. The point is, I think we can agree something changed after 2001 where cars are less prone to fail. I was questioning all E46's not XI specific data. It seems XI's are even less effected but let's get back to exploring possible reasons why.

The theory about less applied torque is interesting but could there be something more? Are XI rear drive mounting points, linkage, sway bars, etc. exactly the same as non-XI cars? The gearing is different but consider all rear geometry effects on sub-frame stress. I spoke with Turner Motor Sports about their "kit" which is a weld-in plate solution. When I mentioned I had an XI, he said, "you shouldn't be concerned as they don't have that problem". I was relieved and didn't think to question why.

I wonder why random reports of tweaked front shock towers or torn sub-frames appear where the car bodies are the same across the line. Therefore this plague should effect the XI as well. Perhaps it's due to not lowering or driving the cars hard but I still suspect something else plays into this. I sure hope it's not due to XI drivers putting around like grandma's 'cause, I drive mine like a stolen bicycle!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.