E46 Fanatics Forum banner

330 Xi engine shot

5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  dmax 
#1 ·
Can anyone give me some advice? I've got 2001 330 Xi with 225000 km. For some reason coolant leaked and no warning light and engine died. Two mechanics said needs a new engine. Up here in Toronto easy to find 330I engine but not Xi. My mechanic says it must be Xi. Is that true? He did find a used one for $2900. I am wondering if it is worth pursuing, total repair $5000? Otherwise car is good body and interior like new. What could I expect with a replacement engine used? Am I just throwing away money? Any help appreciated

#2 ·
really? you should find a new mechanic.330i vs 330xi uses the same motor. only difference the xi is hooked up to a transfer case that powers front and rear wheels

#4 ·
Sir, the ONLY difference in the xi to I motor is the pan.. honestly your old pan with the diff in it is more than likely good.. get a new motor a new mechanic and get your old oil pan checked the issue with that is.. to drop an XI oil pan it will be close to 1k in labor removing all the front axles/half shafts basically the whole sub frame has to come out to remove the oil pan. I recently had it done. forgive my ignorance... your having a motor swapped the old pan should/will bolt right up with the new motor. when you put the new pan with the diff in it (xi) have the fluids replaced also since all that is coming out it's a good time to get wheel bearings as i did and any other things you need done on the front end as it will be labor intensive to do it again at a later date. I mean he has to pull it all control arms have to be dropped everything. upgrade bushings etc if you want to keep this car... open your wallet.

#7 ·
Xi uses a different oil pan which has a hole for the drive-shaft to pass.
In simple words - if you're not willing to do it yourself > it'll cost you a pretty penny, especially here in Toronto.

Give me a PM, I'm willing to buy your car outright. We'll talk about money.
I'm in Toronto

#8 ·
OP- I see no reason to ditch your xi. The front diff EASILY unbolts from the oil pan- 4 bolts. And axles can be removed in 5 minutes with air tools. At that point, the motor swap is as easy as a non-xi. If you need to swap in your xi oil pan, that's not a big deal either.

Sucks you need a motor, but it's not game over. You may even be able to just unbolt the oil pan and drop a new motor right in there.

#9 ·
"drop a new motor right in there" = $$$$$$$ when you have a mechanic do it. Plus the cost of a new one. If Blocked out is willing to give OP a decent price that may be a good way to go just to save the hassle and wasted time. Could be a decent excuse for an upgrade as well. Then again do your research, I don't know how many miles are on your car or what Blocked Out would give you but this is a very fixable issue so if you stand to save a lot of money by just fixing your current car no reason not to.

#12 ·
Just out of curiosity...coz I'm not a mechanic...but what did the two mechanics do to test your engine.

Obviously you overheated...did they diagnose based on what happened or from particular tests? If so, did they both do the same tests and give you the same 'results' from test.

I know they can ascertain whether head gasket or cylinder head is leaking/cracked...but wonder if they can know of more damage beyond that through tests. Coz I wonder if they're just thinking that from 'your point of view' the cost would be the same replacing head, versus whole engine...but it might just be head and that might be something you'd tackle diy whereas new engine install...maybe not.

Positive vibrations!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.