E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Safe crank HP

Max and/or safe HP for m54

49K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  PEI330Ci 
#1 ·
I'm currently at what I think is safe power for the m54b25 at ~400 crank HP, and it seams erratic on the data I'm finding on what these motors can take, and what the safe area is for DD.:eek:

#4 ·
check out my mods in my garage

I dont believe anyone can give you X amount of HP as a FACTUAL answer and back their claims with documented proof. The true answer honestly is "its all the in the tune" & If you have a healthy platform to build upon, having a realistic HP number in mind a tuner will be able to shine real light on your question. GL with your quest
Its not about a pin-pointed "X amount" but rather gathering everyones data then making a average. A good tune can ONLY go so far, it doesn't make you bullet proof to a weak part I.E connecting rods. My tune is 95% spot on, just having ICV issues.

BTW all I have done internally was a slightly thicker HG and raceware head-studs, everything else STOCK!

#3 ·
I dont believe anyone can give you X amount of HP as a FACTUAL answer and back their claims with documented proof. The true answer honestly is "its all the in the tune" & If you have a healthy platform to build upon, having a realistic HP number in mind a tuner will be able to shine real light on your question. GL with your quest

#12 ·
I am AA Stage 2 335.1 at 6000 RPMs I am going to do Meth injection and eventually FI Cams.

So if you calculate normal drive train loss I am around 385 at the crank. So I hope after Meth and cams I can do a pull to 6800-7000 for a more accurate number.

#13 · (Edited)
not bad. Whats your timing table like? must be very conservative? I'm only running 13-14 up top, so I have a gap to play with to be safe (plus if I get crappy gas, I wont have to worry)

I wouldn't worry about meth, if you have a decent tune, something in your engine, or clutch/auto trans will give before you'd need meth. (assuming your running a good sized FMIC)

Also our intake mani's are horrible for meth (meth puddles behind the throttle body, and can give AFR errors), unless you install a nozzle for each runner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.