E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Oil Leak - front passenger side

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  the xecutionr 
#1 ·
I've been trolling the forums and I can't find the right answer to my oil leak. The leak is not the valve cover gasket or the exhaust cam sensor.

The pictures below are taken standing at the front on the car. The first one is a close up of what I believe to be the source of the leak. It is a similar looking device to the cam shaft sensor except it has a tube running into it. The tube running into the device also shows in the third picture with the black cap on the top of it in the front left of the picture.

Anyone know what this is or if I should be looking at somewhere else?

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I understand from a BMW mechanic that it is likely the timing chain tensioner which is directly above the compressor hose in my pictures. The tensioner is behind a screw in cover 24 mm he believes. The tensioner has an aluminum washer type seal that likely needs to be replaced.

I have not had the time to verify this information, but it is the best advice I've received so far. I will likely take a closer week next week to verify.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.