E46 Fanatics Forum banner

BMW Drift Thread

127K views 505 replies 70 participants last post by  dogsgottaeat 
#1 ·
I was hoping to get a thread going for those of us interested in drifting. Where we can discuss drift set ups, techniques , events, etc.

With that said, I'm looking to do my first drift event next month, and if all goes well, I think an LSD upgrade will be in the near future.

But for now any tips for a first timer?

#312 ·
I have never been in a car with a clutch-type LSD.

I have a welded, and I notice that my car makes some funny knocking/clunking noises when letting off the gas/coasting while making a tight corner. I think it is just the axles and drive shaft knocking against the small amount of play in the gears and splines due to the tire-chatter. Anyone else with a welded hear noises like this? I have found that the best way to corner with a welded is under slight throttle... sometimes left-foot braking if needed.

#315 ·
do u have alot of body roll just running springs? im on kw coilovers which i found are pretty pricey , there super nice and i love them but its an inconvenience for me to try and adjust dampering on them , kinda looking toward a true coilover setup with edfc but i cant seem to find any for a sedan ,

#322 ·
omg, i love this thread, everyone seems to be really friendly here...

btw

everybody know that tax money will come, i was thinking about to get lsd for my car, what you all guys think ? which one is the best bung ? (instead of swap with m3 subframe) and how much it cost ?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#325 ·
Went to the 1/4 mile track last night. When I first bought my car it was an auto that weighed 3340lbs and ran a 16.5 at 83mph. Last night it weighed 2770lbs and ran a 14.9 at 93mph. Thought I'd post this here so you guys can see how much not only a 5 speed but weight reduction can help your performance. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1020692

#327 ·
Flop said:
Wow, that is great. Very solid time. Makes me want to get mine to the track ASAP.

I'm curious what seat rails/mounts you are using? I think bucket seats will be my next upgrade to shave weight and keep my ass from sliding around.
Thanks man. They are just universal brackets that I drilled new holes in to accomidate the e46 lopsided seat mounting. Just make sure you get some with decent welds. It's a life and death part. Just like making sure you buy decent hardware and harnesses. Not that I'd think you would cheap out but just reminding you.

#338 ·
Don't get me wrong. I agree, since I've done quite a bit of sliding with an open diff. It's just that you have to make huge sacrifices with an open diff to keep the car sideways. It's drifting, but such a different technique. For example, with a welded. I just throw the car and power through the corner adjusting angle as I please. With an open, the only thing keeping the car sideways is pretty much the initial momentum.

...So to keep it sideways, you have to reduce the angle, gain more speed, then throw the car back out(a good example is the video I posted above). If you pay attention, notice how the car seems to gain and lose speed quickly. That's the result of me getting full lock angle and then straightening out slightly to gain speed for another full lock angle. It requires so much steering work it's ridiculous.

Welded/LS Diff = the ability to keep a constant curved drift with mostly throttle input and less steering input.

Open Differential = Continuous flicks/sawing of the steering wheel during a single corner to keep the car sliding sideways

#345 · (Edited)
I only use my hydro to save my ass, or to be lazy, or if I'm just not good enough to do it without it haha. I try and extend everything with throttle and then using big angle to slow me down. I drove this past weekend as well.
Glad we're on the same page regarding the hydro David. New paint job is :drool: dude. I drove Greencove's Drift & Mud day this weekend as well. Your advice regarding using angle to scrub speed helped me so much during transitions this weekend. The speeds are much faster for me at Greencove when compared to OSW since the Greencove sweeper put me in 3rd gear. Should have video and pics to post in this thread soon.

#354 ·
I haven't measured it, but it's obviously quite a bit more than stock. I know for a fact you won't be able to use these if your knuckles are not stock. These adapters use the original tie rod and control arm locations to mount to the car. Then your tie rod goes into a new third hole that is closer to the center of the hub. I had to cut down my inner tie rod just to get the tie rod short enough to bolt up into the new pickup location.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.