E46 Fanatics Forum banner

OFHG done, oil leak persists

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Sweetness 
#1 ·
I had an oil leak on the driver side of the engine.
After much research and reading on this site, I narrowed it down to the OFHG. i did the job in about 3 hours. Cleaned everything.
I still have an oil leak.
No, it's not the VCG. I checked
Any and suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

#4 ·
VANOS line(s) or crush washers, Oil filter top cap or lines, CCV lower oil return line.

See the first link in my signature below for pictures of the CCV lower oil return hose problems.

Also you likely will need to remove your dipstick tube and clean it out, the tube is double walled and will clog easily over time.

Check this link out, especially my comments toward the end - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=967164&highlight=

I have a copy of the BMW SIB and pictures of what the dipstick tube looks like.

#6 ·
Might be the rear main seal..

#8 ·
If CCV oil drain is restricted you could burn oil and many times you will not see it due to Cats cooking it. The dipstick tube is a prime culprit that is very often overlooked.

#13 ·
First two posts...ccv or vanos oil line...which will leak at crush washers (replace all 4) or at the crimps...especially after doing the ofhg...if you overstretched it or something...it will seep from crimps. Hose is $40...the time to do it was when you were there anyway, but I think you can get to it pretty easily anyway...especially if doing ccv. Don't bother with just the dipstick, though...do the whole CCV. By the time you get dipstick out, I think you'll have a lot of the stuff you'd need out to do the ccv anyway. The vent hose is very brittle...and it will crack and seep oil down too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.