E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Stick shift sticking

4K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  Lemonsqr 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 330i 5spd and for some reason the shifter does not stay in the middle when in neutral anymore. It stays to the right like it's stuck and doesn't pop back in the middle. For example, to put the car in 5th gear, all I have to do is push the shifter straight up instead of right and then up. How do I fix this?

Also, I want to put a short shifter in my car. What is the best short shifter I can buy?

Thanks in advance!

#5 · (Edited)
The sticking 5th gear position is a common problem. Mine does this when cold but frees up after 5 minutes of driving. I has to do with some pins and bushings in the transmission. Unfortunately the transmission has to be out to properly repair this. I will wait until I need a clutch. I doubt a short shifter will have any affect. See:

http://www.ex-parrot.com/pdw/mcoupe/5th-gear-fix/index.html

#11 ·
YUP, thank the heavens I had this fixed when I was still under CPO warranty, must have been a $1500 bill at least, just to replace a 6$ bushing set! Scared mine feels sort of like it wants to start sticking again.. UG. what a horrific design to have something like this happen that involves so much work to fix!

short shift kits will do NOTHING to correct this, almost make it worse since the shift points are closer and you are more prone to tossing it into the wrong gear..

#13 · (Edited)
YUP, thank the heavens I had this fixed when I was still under CPO warranty, must have been a $1500 bill at least, just to replace a 6$ bushing set!
Yes that is exactly correct. An easy and inexpensive fix that can be done from outside the transmission. The little problem is the trans must be removed from the car to get access!

This has been occurring since around '98 when this ZFtrans was first used in the M3. Was solved when the E90 came out.

In almost all cases problem goes away once the trans warms up and is definately worse in colder weather. Simple fix is not use 5th gear until the trans is warmed (about 10 miles on a very cold day). Otherwise just be careful shifting until the problem clears.

I had this problem which started at about 60K miles, after the warranty was expired. My intention was to wait until the car needed a clutch and do it then. But I was told that the detent piston would eventually wear enough and the problem would cure itself. Sure enough at about 120K miles the problem did go away! We're at 145K and am still waiting to replace the clutch :clap:

#12 ·
I just had this fixed. Reason for the sticking is because the pin is made out of a different metal than the tranny case. Different metal have different rates of contraction tolerances under current cold temperatures. The fix replaces the metal pin with the same type of metal thus solving the problem . When the engine is warm, the tolerances are the same and no more sticking. I filled this with 3 different types of gear oil and never worked until now.

#16 · (Edited)
I did the shift pin service over the summer. It is not easy and not fun. You absolutely must rent the special tools to do the pins and linings. If anyone here is going to do it, PM me and I will post the information of the guy that rents the shift pin tools and mails them to you.

Best thing is to have an assistant, a lift and a really good air-driven impact gun with a ton of extensions.

#17 ·
I guess I'll wait until the clutch goes to fix that sticking problem then. 265k on original clutch :D I still want a short shifter though.

What do you think of this shifter? http://www.ebay.com/itm/270740517772?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649.

Another thing is that my car doesn't ride that well anymore, as it has 265k miles. I'd like to completely replace the suspension. What all do you think needs replaced and do you recommend replacing with aftermarket or OE BMW parts?

#20 ·
Mine fixed itself when I changed to a real manual oil, Redline MTL. Some say no because the tranny was designed by BMW to operate on ATF type oil. BS! they missed something in the design then. If you believe the BMW BS about lifetime fluid and don't change the oil regularly, your tranny is going to suffer.

#21 ·
I highly doubt it "fixed itself" by simply changing the oil. The defect is in the design of the pins themselves. I'll do it when it's time to do the clutch. Otherwise, the problem mostly goes away once the trans is warmed up. My last car (E36 M3) was a bit worse. (same trans)

#24 ·
We all believe what we choose to believe. I don't doubt it for one second. This problem is being caused by inadequate lubrication to the plunger that loads the shifter and can be agrevated by not changing the oil. Mine was doing this regulary on D4 and stopped shortly after the change to MTL. You can't fix it by spraying externally as the problem is in the case. If you are having this problem, I highly recommend an oil change. What have you got to loose? Mine has not done this again for over 75K! So yes, it healed itself!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.