E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Dynavin Info......ANDROID

915K views 3K replies 344 participants last post by  iansevilla 
#1 · (Edited)
Dynavin E46.......ANDROID

Android on a Dynavin. On a VERY LIMITED number of units Dynavin has replaced the current WindowsCE based GPS hardware with Android hardware. Due to very limited parts availability and very long lead times dynavin will only be making a handful of these units over the next months.

Regular availability is not expected until late this year. Expect the Android units to be VERY hard to come by until then. For the foreseeable future Dynavin will continue to produce a regular supply of the windowsCE based units as well.

Those of you who are familiar with Android know that it is a popular open source mobile device operating system that can run "apps" and in theory allow the dynavin to increase its functionality without the need for "hacks." For those of us who manage to get our hands on these Android units, lets try to compile our experiences, tips, tricks, and new uses here.

In the interest of keeping this post clean and concise lets keep discussion to only the android related elements of this unit and lets not go into detail about the rest of the dynaivn info, that can still be found in the Dynavin Info thread here:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=793437

If you are not familiar with Dynavin please start by reading ^this^ thread first.

Please do your part to keep this post informative by posting any questions or comments not pertaining to Android in the other thread.

The Radio/DVD/CD/ipod/USB/bluetooth interface is the same as the windows based V5 units that we are familiar with. No changes there. Just the WindowsCE part of the unit that runs the Nav program has been replaced with android hardware. So at first the Dynavin Android starts up and all the car stereo stuff is pretty much the same as the Dynavin that we are already familiar with, But press the NAV button and everything is different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKuiXTBKGfU

Wifi TETHERING:

The Dynavin E46 Android works with a USB Wifi antenna (included from me, dont know about the other vendors) to tether to a wifi hotspot or phone with wifi hotspot capability for internet/data access. Similar to the existing Dynavin windowsCE wifi hack but minus the hack part.... Dynavin will also offer a 3G modem that will require an additional data sim card with its own data plan from your cell carrier. Just like an android smartphone or tablet, access to the internet is necessary to make the most of the unit.

One VERY important note: apparently many android devices dont support "ad hoc" wifi connections, they dynavin is one of them. While your home wifi and most mobile phones use "infrastructure" wifi, I found that my jailbroken iphone 3GS running the Mywi app DOES NOT. Since it is an ad hoc wifi, android doesnt see it and I cant tether to it. The iphone 4 DOES provide infrastructure wifi.....upgrade time for me! DO NOT assume your phone has the right kind of wifi hotspot. Confirm this BEFORE you buy an android dynavin or be prepared to change phones if necessary

NAVIGATION:

Android runs google maps for navigation which in this application is a great program.

Plus the inclusion of Google "places" and "Street View" integrated with Navigation takes in car GPS to the next level...

but just like on your phone, it needs internet access to run, you will need an offline navigation app to make it a TRUE GPS system, plus its a little much to deal with while driving. Because this is Android there are many apps available and this choice is being left up to you.....

I tried out the Copilot Navigation app and found that it works well on the dynavin and is an offline map solution. Its not as pretty as google maps but it will work for those times when you are not in cell range. You download the app and the maps (you can download the maps on the dynavin or your computer). This isnt rocket science but you do need to have a working knowledge of computers and androids app download process to make this happen however.

The Android version of the dynavin uses the same touch screen as the windows version, so no multitouch. Its got zoom buttons where necessary.

Gestures however need to be deliberate as this is just a standard automotive style resistive touch screen, dont expect ipad type response! I find it works best if I use the edge of my fingernail for gestures.....finger tips are fine for button presses.

MEDIA PLAYER:

The standard Android media player is pretty good.....better than the other music player options on the dynavin. Album art, artist, albums, songs, playlists. Nice. The only downside is androids default color scheme of black, dark grey, medium grey makes for a really washed out display in daylight....I really had to crank up the screens contrast to have good visibility during the day. The dynavin already has its visibility issues, dark grey letters on a black background dont help.

There are other media player apps of course so you can select whatever you like....Ive tried out a few others as well....this is "Double Twist"

And PowerAmp

APPS:

There are of course an endless supply of apps but here are a few that people are enjoying:

Pandora

Email

Youtube

INITIAL SETUP:

For those of you who have this unit installed, follow the following instructions to get your unit correctly configured (and avoid needless frustrations)

Once your unit is plugged in and running, play around with it for awhile to figure out the basic functionality so the following makes sense....

1: IF your dealer has sent you any firmware updates, install them now, follow the instructions EXACTLY, DO THIS WITH YOUR CAR RUNNING, having a dead battery during a firmware update could be harmful to your dynavin.

2: Press the MODE button to access the source selection screen, press the settings icon in the lower left (gears). I prefer to uncheck all four options:

-Navi Sound....makes it so that android sound comes from all 4 speakers instead just the front (remember that the android part is intended to run the Nav program)

-RDS....radio data system....will display radio station and song data, thats nice but it also transmits time data and when your radio station screws up the time it will screw up your clock.

-Beep....Self explanatory.....makes that annoying beep go away.

-Brake....makes it so you can see video without getting a warning message.

3: Go to the source selection screen again and choose AUX as your source, then take the remote control, hold down the 9 button to bring up the factory settings menu. You will see some settings.....change the radio region to USA1 and if you have a car with the OEM amp in the trunk (all US spec cars do) you will set the AMP setting to ON. Once you are done setting it just let it sit for a minute and the menu will "time out" and go back to AUX.

4: Now to access the android side of the unit you will use the NAVI button, it will toggle back and forth between the radio side of the unit and the android side. Almost every app on the android side has its own volume control that is controlled by the volume icons on the status bar at the top of the screen, if the volume settings for any given app are too high the sound will be be distorted, turn them down to a moderate level for best results.

5: The android part of the unit gets its time settings from the GPS receiver, in the time and date settings you will need to uncheck the "Automatic" time option in order to set your time zone but be sure to recheck "automatic" before you leave this menu so that it will continue to automatically get the time data from the satellites.

6: After you set up a wifi connection between your dynavin and wifi hotspot, I find that it connects most reliably if the hotspot is active when the dynaivn starts up, so I activate the hotspot on my phone as I am walking up to my car. Then when I start the car, the dynavin starts, the android system boots up, scans for wifi, and wifi connects. It takes a couple minutes but it does this fairly reliably. If you start the hotspot after the unit is on the unit may or may not automatically connect. In this case I find that if I toggle the wifi off and back on in android, it will connect after a minute or two. Of course, this is wifi, so your results may vary depending your your wifi source, what works best for me may not work best for you!

Ive been muddling around with this for a couple weeks now and im getting the hang of it. Its important for you guys to understand that this a flexible platform.....so out of the box its limited and basic, just like any android device, really making the most of it requires some amount of technical aptitude and a willingness to experiment to get all the settings dialed in and get all the right apps doing what you want them to do.

There is obviously a huge amount of potential here....I cant wait for some of you android experts to get your hands on this thing and really see what it can do. Im sure as we begin to get these in our cars and have some time to experiment there will be lots of interesting options ond new uses to explore.....I will update this post as we go.

Here is a short video showing my unit now that ive had it for awhile and have dialed things in quite a bit, running an app called "launcher pro" that give a lot of control over the appearance and function of the homescreens and apps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZGkAoFChco

To be continued....

See less See more
#2,795 · (Edited)
Hello People,

I have a question and i hope that someone can help me with this problem because i try to solve this problem for a very long long time.....

I have a bmw e46 with a dynavin console with android on it, the problem is that the andorid section doesnt work anymore because i formated the sd card for new files.....

I already contacted the dealer in my country but they al asking ***8364;60 for the sd card with navigation software on it... and the distance between they and me is to large.

Who can help me with this problem to make a new sd card for the dynavin?

Or some other software to make it work haha

#2,796 ·
D99 Windows CE version purchased in July 2012. I admit I'm in the "get acquainted" part of my relationship with the D99.

A few questions:

(1) I cannot get current time to display when in Nav mode. I downloaded a sygic manual (not sure which one was appropriate but...) and the kinda-sorta indicates that time can be displayed in the lower blacked out area of the Nav screen by navigating through settings -> advanced settings. When I try to get to this setting control panel it is in fact, not there. Any suggestions?

(2) The nav system seems to auto zoom in and out depending on vehicle speed. Does anyone know how to enable/disable this feature?

(3) The navigation tracking of my vehicle is slower than my old DVD-based system. I was not expecting this. Are there any configuration settings I could look at that might be causing this?

(4) I was expecting radio reception comparable to the OEM Nav/radio system and my expectations have not been met. I will check the antenna cable installation but was wondering is this common?

Thanks for listening.

#2,797 ·
This unit it complete junk. The worst $800 I have ever spent. Why would a company sell crap that doesnt even work properly. It makes no sense. It's like buying a new M3 and as soon as you leave the lot the ses light comes on and the car glitches out and shuts down on you. BMW looks and you and says tough luck thanks for the money sucks to be you.

-This thing is so frustrating. The audio on every setting skips or bounces every 5 seconds. (Radio, USB, NAV, AUX).

-The Android side doesn't even look like it even tries to start just a blank screen.

-When i have my phone hooked up using AUX. The screen says "no signal".

Clearly the thing is hooked up and is playing though the speakers in the car.

-When I shut the system off my subs give off a second of just bass.

I was so happy with this thing until these issues started.

I have uninstalled and installed this unit numerous of times and the same things happen. The connections are all correct.

:ben:

#2,802 · (Edited)
I'm trying to find the latest firmware for this thing but all the links are dead. Even the files from Dynavin's website! Some company....

Jeff don't get upset or anything with my comments its nothing to do with you. Its the company. You have my 101% support. Your great at what you do and what you know about this product. I should have got the WINCE. But now its too late and im going to have to deal with it(
issue 1 and 2 are the same thing, your android rom is stuck in a boot loop, the rom needs to be reinstalled, dynavin took it off their website for some very good reasons, if you need the ROM all you have to do is ask your dealer (me) for it......

The screen says no signal because its an A/V input and you are not feeding it a video signal.....thus "no signal"

you have a turn off thump with your sub.....this is a VERY common thing in car audio and does not have anything to do with the dynavin, it has to do with the order in which your components are turning off, a good installer can easily figure this out and fix your issue.

Although you are asking me to not be upset about your comments these types of comments are a bit inflammatory....and inaccurate. The reason I have been doing business with dynavin the last couple years is because they ARE responsive and DO care about making their product as good as possible and they DO support and back up their warranties etc......

2 of your 3 problems have to do with installation of other equipment and/or a misunderstanding of a those other pieces functions, and the third (the ROM being unavailable) is because they are changing something you dont know about on their website, no need to bad mouth them as a company when all you have to do is ask me for help. You used an analogy to buying an M3 and having issues with it.....if you called BMW to complain and want service, they would tell you to talk to your dealer.....well.....talk to your dealer!

Edit: and now I find out your unit is also second hand....Ill be happy to help you out with the ROM but you must realize that when you buy something second hand it opens the window for all kinds of issues....

For anyone reading this in the future, question #1 in my FAQ deals with the WinCE vs Android question....There are also links to all of the forum threads.....I cant make it any more clear, if you dont bother to read it and make an informed decision, neither Dynavin or I can be responsible for that.....

#2,805 ·
The reason I have been doing business with dynavin the last couple years is because they ARE responsive and DO care about making their product as good as possible and they DO support and back up their warranties etc......
Hi Jeff, my wifi has worked reliably once. (by reliably, I mean I was able to download 1 GB worth of data to install Sygic as my offline nav application).

Since then, it's either worked for 20 seconds or for the past 5 months, the wifi turns on and then turns off 6 seconds later, no matter which ROM I try (stock or M3Evolution's rooted ROM). I tried two different wifi dongles (the one provided and a Belkin I read worked well).

Just curious what your take is on this?

I read there's an issue with Android 2.2 with wifi. Is this accurate? Have you heard about other units having wifi issues?

Thanks!

#2,798 ·
I agree this unit looks good in the dash but its a total piece of ****!!!!! When I had it installed the tech told me that I will be removing the unit within 3 months. The Bluetooth is not working now, the remote controller sucks, the screen goes black or it starts to flash on and off, you can't operate the IPod to program the songs that you want to ply, the graphics suck, etc etc etc. This is the worst money that I've ever spent....I totally regret it. So if you're looking for a unit buy something else.....

#2,799 ·
Buyer beware

[QUOTstreE=MrEmitter;14551068]Wow for $899 I thought I would never consider buying a dynavin after previous research describing how annoying the software /os of the system is. After seeing that video of your dynavin android I am sold. Unfortunately I can't buy the system at the moment. However, I am now going to start saving up for that system. I am hoping that I'll be able to buy my own sometime before the next summer. Thanks Jeff.[/QUOTE]

Hey guy I too was very excited like you but don't waste your money get something better. We are all experiencing issues with the unit and for $900 plus installation you don't need the stress and disappointment. Good luck.

#2,800 ·
I'm trying to find the latest firmware for this thing but all the links are dead. Even the files from Dynavin's website! Some company....

Jeff don't get upset or anything with my comments its nothing to do with you. Its the company. You have my 101% support. Your great at what you do and what you know about this product. I should have got the WINCE. But now its too late and im going to have to deal with it.

$800 and a hard working week lesson.:(

#2,806 ·
sounds like its not seeing the wifi antenna.....if you are using a USB extension, dont.

#2,812 ·
Hi Jeff,

Unfortunately, this didn't resolve the problem.

In short, I tried:

1. Stock ROM with original wifi dongle with no USB extension
2. Rooted ROM (M3Evolution's) with original wifi dongle with no USB extension
3. Stock ROM with original wifi dongle with USB extension
4. Rooted ROM with original wifi dongle with USB extension

And then all 4 attempts again with a Belkin wifi dongle instead of the original wifi dongle.

In all 8 cases, the wifi never worked. It turns on for 10 seconds and then turns off. Again, only once did I ever get the wifi working long enough to download Sygic (1GB with maps) (this was WITH a USB extension and original wifi dongle). It's never worked again.

And now, for some strange reason (this is the first time this has happened), whenever I try and re-install a ROM, the Android side won't boot up. The update works (reading and then writing to 100% with the reboot message) but when I reboot, black screen. This has happened in the past a couple times but the blank reboot would only occur once. The second ROM install would work. Now, after 5 ROM installs (both stock and rooted), the Android device won't boot up.

I too am on my last legs with this unit. The wifi and Android aspects of the device is one of the few reasons I bought this unit. Neither seem to work reliably. I'm going to assume that if I keep trying to install a ROM, I'll finally be able to boot Android (feels like Windows, try the same thing 19 times and it doesn't work and then try the same thing again a 20th time and it suddenly decides to work).
However, the unreliable wifi has ALWAYS been a problem.

If Dynavin really did care about its customer base, I would think they would have, by now, provided a more recent version of Android (Gingerbread?). A version that could still run on the limited hardware but one that doesn't have wifi bugs. Unfortunately, from what I can tell, the latest Dynavin ROM is from last December and we haven't heard anything since.

I truly would like to have this unit work as intended as I'm really keen on having a properly functioning Android+wifi unit but I'm starting to lose hope at this point. From everything I've read, a slightly new version of Android could potentially fix a lot of these bugs but that unfortunately doesn't seem to be on Dynavin's roadmap so for the moment, I'm stuck with what is in my eyes a flawed product. I guess others have had luck with the wifi feature though. I just haven't.

#2,807 ·
Before you emailed me I looked at M3Revolutions thread, and downloaded his ROM and got all of the instructions. My Dynavin is back to normal.

His ROM and the Default ROM was included. I followed and downloaded all the programs and everything is fine. The audio skipping has stopped and the android works. It takes like 10 seconds for the android part to start when you first turn the dynavin on but after when you click NAV when its on it goes on right away. That doesn't bother me.

I feel so much better. lol.

#2,810 ·
Dead Dynavin Android?

Hi Guys,

I've had problems with my D99 Android since about a month after the install and have been lurking on all of these forums ever since. Since there is no dealer where I am, I brought my unit from the US (regrettably not from Jeff) and wanted to try everything I could before taking the "defective" (maybe?) unit back to the States and returning it under warranty. So please bear with me as I describe my long saga with my Dynavin and maybe someone here (JEFF!!!) can see if there is something that maybe I have overlooked.

Lets start off with saying that I drive an Audi S3 and that my unit is of the A3 variant but I am assuming the internals are identical to the ones in the the BMW's.

The first problem I had was, during install, with the CANBUS adapter that continually reset the unit (about once every 10 seconds). My installer said that it was a cheap Audi CANBUS controller that he had seen for other head units made for Audi and that it was probably defective but, by cutting the red wire from the CANBUS adapter and connecting it directly to the ACC, the problem was solved and the unit worked (apart from occasional issues with the Driver Information Display not updating and occasionally the steering controls not working which the installer said was all part of the "cheap" CANBUS controller). These issues never arose again, so I don't think it's a problem but wanted to add it for completeness.

The real problems started with the Android side of the Dynavin often coming up with application error messages, hanging and having to exit (internet radio/gps/settings.apk/etc.) I ignored these error and did some factory resets which did not help. I just assumed that the unit was slow/memory restricted and I would just live with occasional resets. However, at some point, the Android side itself started to reboot for no apparent reason. I decided to live with this also. However, about at this point, I found it weird that no matter what I did, I could not get the unit to turn off without removing the key from the ignition (holding the left knob down for 4 seconds, which I think used to turn it off, did nothing, neither did any other key combination I could think of). However, at the time, all I had to do if Android was buggy was turn the ignition off and on at a stop light to get the unit to reset, so I kept going on with life and ignored the annoyances.

A few months later, I left on business for 5 days and had to leave my car parked at the airport. My car is black and has a black interior so it does get hot. When I returned to use my car, the Android side refused to boot (i.e. it shows nothing on the screen, just black). I only refer to parking at the airport because this is the only thing that I can think of that changed between it working and not, however I have a Valentine One/Cheetah/Blinder combo in my car and nothing ever happens to them when left out in the hot car.

Now, this happened about 2 months ago and I have tried pretty much everything that I could find on all of the forums. The first thing that I did was take the original 2GB SD and load the stock firmware onto it from the Dynavin website. Since my unit is not booting, as expected, this did nothing. Next I thought that maybe the wireless dongle at the back is preventing the unit from booting. So I took the unit back to the installer and asked him to remove the dongle and place a USB extension cable to the unit so that I could plug and unplug the wireless dongle before the unit boots up (as M3Evolution recommends). I tried every combination under the sun to get the unit to boot: with the stock firmware SD/without, with the wifi/without even with and without the SD for the "radio side" of the unit and nothing worked.

Now I know that you are supposed to turn the unit off and back on with the ignition in the car, but as I mentioned before, one of the things that stopped working right from the start was the ability to turn off the machine with the left knob. So, I decided to go on a crusade to use the remote to turn on and off the unit. Since I received the remote without a battery (no idea why) and the battery, CR2025, for the unit is very elusive and I couldn't find one in my country (only CR2016/32), I had to order one from China on ebay. After waiting forever for the batter to arrive, I put it into the remote and... nothing. Not volume, not power, not next track... nothing. I took the remote apart to try to see if it was damaged and tested it with a voltmeter to see if there was a PD drop across the LED when I push a button and I think it is working fine. So, it seems that my Dynavin unit is also not responding to the remote control (however I do not know if it ever did because I did not have a batter for the remote when the unit was newly installed).

I had completely given up on the unit and was about to throw in the towel (and order a Zenec head unit locally) when 2 weeks ago I was driving non-stop for about 2 hours and I accidentally hit the Navi button on the unit and, lo and behold, there was my Android screen sitting there (not formatted back to stock or anything which means that the SD with stock firmware had never been restored even if the screen was perpetually black). The Android side was exactly as I had left it with all of my apps installed and my shortcuts on the dash, however some of the settings has been lost. I played around with the unit for a while and it worked perfectly apart from Wifi not working at all. So i decided to disconnect the wifi dongle completely and use the unit entirely "offline", it was better than nothing. For a few weeks, the unit worked sometimes. I mean, sometimes I got in the car and android booted right away, sometimes it took 10 minutes with a black screen and then all of a sudden Android would boot, and sometimes I drove for an hour with a black screen and nothing.

Even though this was piss poor (an offline Android Dynavin that works depending on its mood/the day of the week/the weather) I decided to live with it because the alternative of dismantling the unit, taping up the gaping hole in my dash while I send the unit back to the States and waiting for a replacement, having to release it from customs and paying for the dismantle and the reinstall was much, much worse.

However, alas, even this did not last and my Android side of the Dynavin has committed suicide again and for the last 3 days I am navi-less. Since I am traveling to the states next week for a month, I have decided that if I can't fix the unit before I leave, I will have it dismantled and will bring it with me and hopefully have my dealer replace it with a new one before i leave again and can bring it back with me. That way I will not have to live for a month with a hole in my dash where my Dynavin used to be.

I have a few questions:

1. Is my unit defective?
2. If not, is there any way to turn it off except holding the left knob down for 4 seconds or using the remote (neither of which work).
3. Is there anything else that I can do to try to get this thing to work?
3. Are the A3 D99 Androids less stable/have worse hardware than the BMW ones that seem not to have these problems?

I really, really wanted to love this unit with all of its flaws. It looks great in the dash, the online feature is amazing, and I enjoyed the unit for the first 2 months before the problems started. However, this saga has been really testing, despite being optimistic that I can somehow fix the unit if only I did this or that to get it working. Now, i am quite tech savvy so if there is anything that I can do (short of dismantling my dash) I'm pretty sure I can follow the instructions.

Please, please, please help me. I am on the verge of desperation.

Jonny E

#2,811 ·
Well you put up with more than most...

Yes it is defective, probably a bad power supply causing havoc. Contact your dealer and good luck!

#2,813 ·
you dont have a wifi "bug" you have a broken unit....talk to your dealer, the USB cable coming out of the back of the unit is either damaged or partially unplugged from the main board. Some of you guys are going WAY too far with this wifi stuff.....in my experience (and Ive seen thousands of units) the wifi works, if it doesnt its either settings or the hotspot being incompatible (or security settings). Reloading the ROM restores the settings to their defaults and it should work, trying multiple hotspots rules out the hotspot as the source of the issue, if after that you still have issues then you need to contact your dealer because something is wrong.

The "bug" in android 2.2 is more of an intermittent disconnect or inability to connect on the first try....something you would see only occasionally, not something that would be there every time.

#2,814 · (Edited)
Ok, fair enough. However, shipping the unit back for a replacement unit will probably cost me over $200 in shipping, all because Dynavin couldn't get it right the first time? And with my side clips broken off because of yet another defect, I'm not sure they'll accept it at all. And although I'm getting ahead of myself, if that doesn't fix the issue, where should I stop? Spend $200 every time?
I'll contact my vendor and see what they have to say. This should be fun.

Edit: Email sent. We'll see what they say.

#2,815 ·
defectives happen, shipping damage happens, its a fact of life. And if you buy from another country and ship things in, there is a certain amount of risk that you take on. When WE sell units that are going out of the country we bench test them to try to minimize the kind of issues you are having.

Although I dont know where you bought from $200 is pretty steep for shipping.....it only costs $30-$50 to send them back and forth from the US to Canada......

#2,816 ·
I've sent smaller and lighter things to the US and have had to pay more than $50. Furthermore, when it gets shipped back, we typically get dinged for brokerage, duties, taxes, even though we shouldn't as it's a warrantied item. Unfortunately, they (the companies, including Canada Post) don't seem to give a damn about that and tell you to pay the fee on the spot if you want your parcel and then fight the charges which can then take months with no guarantee of success. Yup, it's what us Canadians constantly have to deal with when buying from the USA. It sucks but it's something we have to live with. Anyway, before I get too far into this, I'm going to wait to see what the vendor responds to my warranty request.

#2,817 ·
thats not good....you need to make sure your dealer marks it as a warranty repair.....the few times ive done it I have not had an issue....but you would probably know better than me when it comes to that. Good luck, hope your dealer makes it simple.

#2,819 ·
Its being discussed on another thread:

DO NOT USE THE NEW ROM UNLESS YOU HAVE A BRAND NEW UNIT.....

Dynavin changed the touchscreens on the last production batch and with that change came new touchscreen drivers. So if you have a unit that was manufactured before July/2012, use the old ROM, after July/2012, use the new ROM.

You can tell which one you have by looking at the source selection screen (thats why dynavin has pics of each next to the download link). Im going to contact them to help them make that page more clear.....

If you update and your touchscreen doesnt work, you used the wrong one.

#2,821 ·
Agreed, its actually probably more appropriate to discuss it here as it is specific to android.

#2,822 ·
blank screen on android side (always been blank and today tried to download new software and install it, just the way they said to do it and still blank) always starts normally, no update. Reformatted sd card that came with system to FAT32, nothing.

#2,823 ·
sounds like the card is not correctly formatted, it requires a special format. Your dealer should be able to provide you with a tool to format it.

#2,826 ·
Tool to reformat, you can't just reformat the sd card on the computer? I tried FAT and FAT32

#2,831 · (Edited)
Been a while!

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've checked in here. I just a few moments ago checked the dynavin site for an update to the rom and sure enough there seems to be one there, but, I'm a little confused. There is a message that says

"Please check the mainmenu of your Dynavin radio and download the correct software for your radio. Flashing the wrong software will make touchscreen in android mode invalid and if you don't understand this you're an idiot"

I really don't see circles or arrows on my main screen. Am I missing some menu some place? Or maybe my unit is too old? It's the one with the orange main input selection screen with the circular interface. Thanks

#2,832 ·
The "circles and arrows" and the pics are D99 descriptions. If you have an older D90 or D95 you would use the old ROM, which is the one on the left (or top, depending on your browser), the one next to the pic with the "circles".

Understand though, this is not an update, if your unit is working fine there is no reason to reinstall the ROM. Dynavin changed the touchscreen slightly on the latest production batch and it required different drivers, and therefore a different ROM.

#2,833 ·
I've tried installing both, just now got a hold of dynavin, waiting for their answer.

Sent from my VM670 using Bimmer App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.