E46 Fanatics Forum banner

e46 idle vibration

6K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  subcop42 
#1 ·
Rough idle

my 2000 328I has a rough idle and i have the fault code and reset tool,and i'm getting a vanos problem,my mpgs isn't as good as it used to be, can anyone tell me if its just the vanos solenoid,or would I have to rebuild the whole vanos assembly. Thanks to any and all,who can help.

#2 ·
I have the exact same drive train as you.

I needed to clean my Throttle body and Idle control valve. Its about a 1-2 hour DIY, and there are multiple tutorials in the DIY section.

This got rid of throttle body error code, and made my car run better.

Then I did the Vanos repair, and it fixed my rough idle in cold temps, and gave me more torque between 2000-2500 rpm.

#3 ·
engine vibration

hello to the forum members.
I have a 2000 328i,the car runs great,due to my anal up keep,but not too long ago,i replaced,the motor mounts and tranny mounts,now i feel like a vibration thru the steering wheel,if i hit the accelerator a little it smoothes out,and the car idles at about 700 rpms ,it it normal or something mechanical,since,im not getting any engine light.

#5 · (Edited)
Rough idle

Hello to everyone in this forum,posting ,my first thread, I have a 2000 328i,and it has 132,000 miles,has good power,but I have a slight,rough idle,if I hit the accelerator pedal slightly it smoothes out,I'm anal when it comes to pm's, and I'm not getting any fault codes, I also get 33 mpg,at 70 mph.
pms i've done so far ,I only use premium gas
1-new plugs
2-rebiult vanos valve
3-cleaned MAF sensor ,replaced two years ago
4-new O2 sensor
5-replaced tranny fluid and filter - steptronic trans
6-G-force programmer
7-replaced alternator
8-replaced power steering pump
9-will replace fuel pump, over design failure
10-replaced fan and clutch
11-changed motor mounts
12-replaced tranny mounts
13-replaced guibo and center support bearing

I feel vibration ,thru steering wheel,and it started around a year ago.

any input,would be appreciated.

#14 · (Edited)
Hello to everyone in this forum,posting ,my first thread, I have a 2000 328i,and it has 132,000 miles,has good power,but I have a slight,rough idle,if I hit the accelerator pedal slightly it smoothes out,I'm anal when it comes to pm's, and I'm not getting any fault codes, I also get 33 mpg,at 70 mph.
pms i've done so far ,I only use premium gas
1-new plugs
2-rebiult vanos valve
3-cleaned MAF sensor ,replaced two years ago
4-new O2 sensor
5-replaced tranny fluid and filter - steptronic trans
6-G-force programmer
7-replaced alternator
8-replaced power steering pump
9-will replace fuel pump, over design failure
10-replaced fan and clutch
11-changed motor mounts
12-replaced tranny mounts
13-replaced guibo and center support bearing

I feel vibration ,thru steering wheel,and it started around a year ago.

any input,would be appreciated.
Your list not including Ultrasonic injector cleaning,I've had the same problem and after cleaning it alot better:woot:
I jumped from 33mpg to 36-38 mpg at 70mph

#6 ·
I have a 2000 323CI and I was getting a rough idle warm or cold, when I reved the engine a bit the idle would level out but start up again when i came to a stop... I replaced the PCV valve and hoses conecting to this part and it fixed my annoying rough idle problem... PCV valve + hoses + spark plugs + labour = approximately $800.

#7 ·
hello to all on this forum

I have a 2000 328i with a steptronic transmission with 146,000 miles, I have no check engine light on,I've replaced various components on my 328i, and at idle ,which is at 700 rpms,I get a vibration,once i take off,car feels normal and with good take off,last component installed was the ICV ,a little better,but still vibrating,checked the DISA valve and its in good condition, did the diaphram,test and its holding at about 45 degrees, checked the fan,and removed it,and ran the car without the fan on,still vibration,If I remember correctly,the vibration started around,the time i changed the motor mounts,not sure if thats the problem. just wondering ,if anyone out there has a clue as to what could be causing the vibration. Thanks Nelson

#19 ·
I had the vibration at Idel and could feel a different vibration at higher speed. mpg was not good as well. It was due to one coil being bad and the first cylinder was not firing(active). I have a 2002 318i and it is easy to access the coils. When I removed the wire socket from each Coil, nothing happened for the first Cylinder (DIY : http://diy-auto-repair.wonderhowto....46-ignition-cover-find-ignition-coils-323595/). Went to the dealer and the same Indicated with a Fault code. Cost was USD 80 for one new Coil + job. Apparently they go bad after 10 years or so.

#24 ·
In regards to engine vibration,I finally decided to re do my motor mounts,since I had done them about four years ago,attempting to eliminate ,this engine vibration,that I was feeling,thru my steering wheel,I figured problem was mechanical,since I had no warning lights on,and car ran great,while moving,installed with hydraulic motor mounts,the old ones were no good,since ,it looked compressed, a two hour job,and no vibration. thanks to this forum,for contributing to my deductive reasoning process.

#25 ·
My vibration issue,turned out,to be bad motor mounts,I had replaced them five years ago with solid rubber ones,big mistake,sends more vibration,thru the steering wheel,I replaced them with hydraulic motor mounts,car feels great again,and better acceleration. FYI if you get vibration thru your steering wheel and no engine light,check motor mounts.

#27 ·
I changed the motor mounts,with the hydraulic type,apparently it absorbs more vibration, and I was getting vibration ,thru the steering wheel,and no check engine light ,drivers side was blown,and I had changed it with a solid rubber one,five years ago,so it went bad, found out thru Ebay,that hydraulic motor mounts absorb better,then solid mounts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.