E46 Fanatics Forum banner
734K views 6K replies 680 participants last post by  LivesNearCostco 
#1 ·
Okay, I've been debating doing this for a while now. And, I'm kind of tired of the "I hate cops" threads. Have you ever wondered why a cop gave you the ticket rather than someone else? Is this mod or that mod legal? What would a cop do if he saw this or that happen on the road? As many of you know, or have been able to figure out, I'm an Officer with the California Highway Patrol (It is, therefore, my primary job to give tickets, take drunks to jail, and write-up accident reports). I've been doing the job for about three years, which doesn't make me an expert. I figure that it would be nice to allow you guys to "pick me brains" on stuff. I'd like to be able to answer questions that you guys have about certain situations, and what not.

Keep in mind that some of these answers are MY opinion, not those of the department, or even other Officers. Even if you do what I suggest, you might still get a ticket, or go to jail. There will have to be rules, though. Here they are:

Main rules are these --

1) RESPECT -- I'm not going to put on my flame suit, anyone that's going to post in this thread SHALL be respectful to me, and other Officers. Anyone who is not, won't get a reply. Call anyone with a shiny piece of metal on their chest a "Pig", and you won't get a reply.
2) HONESTY -- Be honest about what happened, and how you reacted. What you, and the Officer said.
3) BE NICE -- Not following this is the most important. Foul language SHALL be kept to a minimum! If you can't express your anger without first calming down and using adult words, then I have no room for you in my life.

Others are things along these lines --

1) Questions about Vehicle Code SHALL be in regards to California laws only! I don't work in other states, and therefore have no knowledge of their laws. If you bring up a law in another state, you have to post the law in question. Even then, I would only have limited knowledge in regards to it.
2) You can ask me what I would do in a given situation, but don't expect other Officers to do the same.
3) Other Officers can post replies to questions, but everyone SHALL follow the two primary rules.
4) I enforce the law, I don't write the law. If you have a problem with how a law is written, this isn't the place to air your concern.
5) After I turn the ticket in, I have limited knowledge on how to deal with it. My knowledge is limited to what I have encountered in my own experiences with getting tickets (yes, I do get them from time to time).

Questions about the CHP might be able to be answered on the Departments website www.chp.ca.gov

With all this in mind, let's see how this thread goes. I'll try to answer questions as best, and as quickly as I can. I don't have the ability to spend hours upon hours each day on these forums, so I might not be able to answer things right away.

See less See more
#3,524 ·
hey all, i recently got a response from court saying i was found not guilty for my unsafe lane change violation. However, i first had a court date and missed it due to me being rear ended. Because i missed court, i had a suspended license and a civil assessment fee of 300 tacked on. The clerk said that the civil assessment fee would be dropped if i was to win my tbd case. I did a trial by written declaration, and attached a copy of the collision report explaining why i had missed court. I was on the free way heading towards the courthouse about 30 minutes prior to the trial time when i got rear ended and took about an hour of my time.

Well, the letter i recently got from the courts state that i was found not guilty of the infraction but my petition for the civil assessment was denied. It also said that what i had paid for the bail was used towards the civil assessment and that i still owed about 130. I am really frustrated because i was unjustly given a ticket but later found not guilty. THe chp officer that did the collision report knew i was heading to court, and that he would be willing to write statement for me if need be due to the fact that he said his superiors would have to sign off on it.

What can i possibly do about the civil assessment fee. I was not guilty of the ticket, have a valid reason along with a collision report, yet i am still charged. I am a student and this is quite depressing.

Another question, i also got pulled over for no front plate just this week. I was told by the officer if i was to get it corrected, signed, and mailed in within 30 days that no fees would be applied at all. Yet, i always hear of people saying fix it tickets are 10 or 50 dollars. How much does it cost and what is the process on that? There is no where on ticket/citation that says correctable or non correctable? if i was to get it signed and mailed in this week.. how much would it all cost me? thanks.

#3,525 ·
hey all, i recently got a response from court saying i was found not guilty for my unsafe lane change violation. However, i first had a court date and missed it due to me being rear ended. Because i missed court, i had a suspended license and a civil assessment fee of 300 tacked on. The clerk said that the civil assessment fee would be dropped if i was to win my tbd case. I did a trial by written declaration, and attached a copy of the collision report explaining why i had missed court. I was on the free way heading towards the courthouse about 30 minutes prior to the trial time when i got rear ended and took about an hour of my time.

Well, the letter i recently got from the courts state that i was found not guilty of the infraction but my petition for the civil assessment was denied. It also said that what i had paid for the bail was used towards the civil assessment and that i still owed about 130. I am really frustrated because i was unjustly given a ticket but later found not guilty. THe chp officer that did the collision report knew i was heading to court, and that he would be willing to write statement for me if need be due to the fact that he said his superiors would have to sign off on it.

What can i possibly do about the civil assessment fee. I was not guilty of the ticket, have a valid reason along with a collision report, yet i am still charged. I am a student and this is quite depressing.

Another question, i also got pulled over for no front plate just this week. I was told by the officer if i was to get it corrected, signed, and mailed in within 30 days that no fees would be applied at all. Yet, i always hear of people saying fix it tickets are 10 or 50 dollars. How much does it cost and what is the process on that? There is no where on ticket/citation that says correctable or non correctable? if i was to get it signed and mailed in this week.. how much would it all cost me? thanks.

#3,531 ·
The problem is that whether or not you were guilty of a violation you were still required to appear in court at the date and time that you promised. The only thing I can think of is to contact the court and tell them what happened that caused you to be late. If they'll accept a written statement from the CHP Officer then contact the Officer and request a statement.

The fine amount for fix-it tickets went up recently. It used to be $10. But I believe it went up to $35 plus court fees. Check the court website for more accurate information.

#3,532 ·
Im sure there a statute for lewd act, which a dildo on a roof is a lewd act. You really think little kids need to look at a car and see a dildo on it?
I don't think that this would fall under indecent exposure since it's not actually a human part being displayed. But if you're going to put something like this on your car expect to get a ticket for every single little thing you do wrong.

While it might not be illegal to have phallic symbols on your car, they'll draw attention. Not always attention that you want. I think that it's rather disgusting and would write a ticket for everything that I could even if not for the dildo. No one, especially kids, needs or wants to see something like this on a car.

#3,528 ·
Hello everyone!

I have been thinking this over for a few days now.......

I have a 1982 honda 100s little motorcycle, I bought it off of a distant relative for a 6 pack of Coors 4-5 years ago. It doesn't run anymore as I have not fired it up in a few years. Just yesterday I got the bug to strip it down and rebuild the little guy. That got me thinking of actually using it for something else than puttering around off road.

I looked it up and it appears to be a model that at one time was deamed "road worthy". The only thing is that I do not have a title, nor does the distant relative who I got it from. I know that all the law enforcement people on here are not in the DMV, but I thought this might be a good place to post this anyways.

Does anyone here know if it would be possible to get this thing registered and be able to drive it on the street? I just want it to go to and from work "5 minutes away" etc.

#3,529 ·
So last night i got pulled over for speeding and he wrote down that i was doing 80+ in a 45. There is no way i was doing 80. So i came to a complete stop at the light. Once it turned green i took off not all out but defiantly accelerating fast. When i noticed the lights he was far behind me and i imediatly let off the gas and slowed down looking at my speed and it was a little above 60. He was far enough behind me that i thought at first he might just be lights on and going to a call but he pulled in behind me. Once i knew he was after me i pulled over and went through the process. So today i went to the same spot and stopped at a red and guned it all out when it turned green and there is no way i could get to 80 by the time i reached the place where we pulled over not to mention that i started slowing before that spot. On the ticket it says he didnt use a radar and when i first saw him light up he was wayyy behind me. To far to have paced and to have gotten a good judge on speed also it was at night.

I admit that i was speeding but was wondering if there is anyway i could fight the speed he wrote so that i would not have to pay as much and possibly have the option of traffic school instead of getting the point.

Thanks

#3,534 ·
You can try to fight the ticket. But before you do, try to find out if the fine amount for 70 in a 45 and 80+ in a 45. You were most likely at about 70 (at the least) when the officer estimated your speed. If the fine amount is the same then there probably isn't a very good reason to fight the ticket. I know for a fact that if your defense is "I was speeding but I was only going 65mph!" you're going to lose.

#3,538 ·
ok guys hopefully im being paranoid but here goes:

i was on my way to a school meeting and was running a little late so i had to speed a little (50/35) which is pretty normal around here...but as im driving i pass a durango undercover car (who the hell knew?) and got hit by Ka as he drove by (thanks V1). i saw him brake a little but there was a little traffic behind me and he couldnt turn around. now the kicker: this cop comes to my school all the time to hang out with our school officer. im sure he saw my high school tag, my e46 stickers, my cca badge, and probably my plate. is it possible that while hes visiting the school, he comes over and drops off the ticket on my car in the parking lot? or am i just worrying for nothing?

thanks man!

#3,539 ·
i have had something very very similar happen to me and the cop just pulled me out of class and talked to me and tried to scare me also she said she couldnt give me a ticket, but someone also reported me for almost hitting a gandma and doing 80+ in a 35 which was so far from the truth its not even funny. i was doing about 15 over and passed some kids on a side walk... i guess some people dont like being tailgatted.

#3,542 ·
You can...when you become a reserve in the state of CA, there are three different levels recognized by the Peace Officer Standards of Training (POST) the governing body the oversees certified departments (which is probably 99% of CA departments). Each level includes more classroom/physical/firearms training and testing. The lowest level is a Level 3, which gets you a badge and gun but you can only work directed assignments and admin. Level 2 allows you to work 2nd person in a patrol car doing routine patrol and other assignments. Level 1 is the same as a full time peace officer and gives you your full basic POST certificate and the ability to work by yourself in a patrol car.

If you are a Level 1 reserve, most departments will take you as a transfer w/o having to go through the entire academy process again.

Check out your local agency's website, they likely will have a lot of info on reserves if your department has a reserve company. I'm one of the people who istructs the reserve academy for LASD, so I can always answer more specific questions via PM as they come up.

#3,543 ·
would it be possible for me to pay bail, do the trial by written declaration and if i were to lose, go to court and request to get the money back and do community service or ask for leniency and have the fine cut a partial refund? have you ever heard of any scenarios like this and the outcome? thank you all...

#3,547 ·
I haven't heard of anything like this. But doing a TBD does allow you to go to court later. You'd probably have to go to court afterward and not be able to make your requests via a letter.

#3,551 ·
Hey Guys. I am buying a car from a Private Seller in Cali. I can't get temp plates from Cali cuz they dont have them and Im not a resident. I cant get temp plates from my state because i need a bill of sale and a title. Will the bill of sale for the 3 hour drive back home suffice? Or do you have any ideas how to get it home?

#3,558 · (Edited)
You won't get a signal if the driver knows how to mask. On top of that you are always going to get arguable signals from all kinds of objects. Waves bounce differently off different objects. There is no way to pinpoint which part of the object or WHICH object is indeed speeding. You could be getting a boat in the background or even a birds wings ( a stretch but completely feasible). Water For an instance will totally throw it for a loop. I have WAY more powerful radar than you have. I glow green at night. :D I can bring in charts that will spin your head and have you begging for Lasers. Most LEOs think of radar as a click and point, there are so many things that go into it. Every radar except phased array gets fooled by podium effects and a host of other things. Depending on your angle you can use that to your favor. It can get hosed by angles and if both vehicles are in line when the waves hit its going to take the bigger return all day. Also radio and other interference in the area can raise heck with your readings. Again Im not giving the kiddies any more info than they need. All this will do is give them enough to look foolish so far.

But I think we all know the point of speed enforcement is only partly safety. Its for funding. You raise fines because your state is running out of money, its not a knock one the cop handing out the ticket its the lack of checks and balances in the budget and they spend more than they have so they up fees. My personal gripe is Fishing, the billions the sport brings and the ramps and waterways are a disgrace, so where does the money go? Just like spending tickets, sure as $@#$#@ not to those that need it, nope it goes to pet projects completely unrelated to the event or division that brought the $$$ in. Ok you can argue some money goes back but not what is needed. You'd all have z06s for patrol cars if it did.

Again I don't speed in the sense of the word. I usually GPS and radar my speed to ensure my speedo is right. I'd rather keep the speed limit on twisties than mash the gas in a straight line. The M car is handy for kill avoidance when the idiot texting next me is smacking her kid and trying not to spill her Starbucks, while bouncing baby Ian on her knee and steering with the other, and comes into my lane.

You speed pay the fine and don't PM me for ways to get out of it. First, if I did I would be condoning it. Next, you are getting the ticket to "fix your roads" just pay it. AND SLOW DOWN, I dont want you killing me, my wife, or dog. I could see if it was cool, but its not. Do it the one time and max out your speedo tell your friends and be done with it.

#3,559 ·
You won't get a signal if the driver knows how to mask. On top of that you are always going to get arguable signals from all kinds of objects. Waves bounce differently off different objects. There is no way to pinpoint which part of the object or WHICH object is indeed speeding. You could be getting a boat in the background or even a birds wings ( a stretch but completely feasible). Water For an instance will totally throw it for a loop. I have WAY more powerful radar than you have. I glow green at night. :D I can bring in charts that will spin your head and have you begging for Lasers. Most LEOs think of radar as a click and point, there are so many things that go into it. Every radar except phased array gets fooled by podium effects and a host of other things. Depending on your angle you can use that to your favor. It can get hosed by angles and if both vehicles are in line when the waves hit its going to take the bigger return all day. Also radio and other interference in the area can raise heck with your readings. Again Im not giving the kiddies any more info than they need. All this will do is give them enough to look foolish so far.
Fortunately, case law says that we don't have to know how the unit works, only how to properly work it! There are several common factors that influence radar being used for speed enforcement, and I know how to ensure that those factors aren't in place after I activate the unit. And I thank you for not going on and on about how to fight the tickets, there are other websites for that!

But I think we all know the point of speed enforcement is only partly safety. Its for funding. You raise fines because your state is running out of money, its not a knock one the cop handing out the ticket its the lack of checks and balances in the budget and they spend more than they have so they up fees. My personal gripe is Fishing, the billions the sport brings and the ramps and waterways are a disgrace, so where does the money go? Just like spending tickets, sure as $@#$#@ not to those that need it, nope it goes to pet projects completely unrelated to the event or division that brought the $$$ in. Ok you can argue some money goes back but not what is needed. You'd all have z06s for patrol cars if it did.
It's not speed only that causes traffic collisions. In the area that I work it's usually some sort of unsafe turning movement that causes the collision. HOWEVER, speed is definitely a contributing factor to them. At the least it causes collisions to be worse than they could be, or injuries to be worse than they need to be. Again, I'm not talking about speeding tickets for 45mph in a 30 mph zone, but rather 90mph in a 70mph zone.

Again I don't speed in the sense of the word. I usually GPS and radar my speed to ensure my speedo is right. I'd rather keep the speed limit on twisties than mash the gas in a straight line. The M car is handy for kill avoidance when the idiot texting next me is smacking her kid and trying not to spill her Starbucks, while bouncing baby Ian on her knee and steering with the other, and comes into my lane.

You speed pay the fine and don't PM me for ways to get out of it. First, if I did I would be condoning it. Next, you are getting the ticket to "fix your roads" just pay it. AND SLOW DOWN, I dont want you killing me, my wife, or dog. I could see if it was cool, but its not. Do it the one time and max out your speedo tell your friends and be done with it.
Very well put! But I'd suggest finding a closed course to max out the speedo. Even when it seems safe to do it on a public road there's always the chance of a dog or cat or coyote running out in front of you. Then you're screwed no matter what!

#3,560 ·
as most of these questions here are about speeding, I am going to ask a question, that well, may test the limits of what you feel.

I am going to make this brief and give examples.

Scenario 1: Street driving, lets say 3 and 3 no middle median (the median is "trees")

1-2-3||| 3-2-1 are the lanes. S bound and N bound to make it easier.

There are turn left and turn right breaks, and a car wants to go North bound coming from WEST street, has to cross SOUTH bound 3 lanes and enter to lane # 3 on NORTH bound.

If I am driving on North bound 3 and car decides to just book it in front of me, cutting me off, i SLAM on my breaks and avoid ALL accidents of any cars behind me HOPEFULLY and around me, or cautiously avoid it by seeing him and ANTICIPATING a dumbass (excuse my language) ****ing retarding merge.

Accident avoid, idiot driver lives for now, probably doesn't even know or care with what he did.

My car good, his car good, everyone good.

ME = win
HIM = win

Scenario 2:

Same situation, but this time, no time to stop, try and swerve, we hit. His fault, no insurance, I am screwed, my car is damaged, people are hurt, he lives he doesn't care and doesn't pay the price. Nothing happens, broke ass degenerate cant sue.

Me = Lose
Him = Win

Scenario 3:
I have a reinforced double/triple titanium/steel/toughest **** ever bumper grill on a 4000lb truck.
Same situation, I see car, do not change speed, BAM! to his car.

My car is fine, maybe a few scratches on the steel, just buff them out, or leave them in to show age.
No insurance again for him, his car damaged to ****, my car 100% good, me 100% uninjured, maybe he is hurt who knows, who cares.

ME= win
Him = lose.

In scenario 3, what would happen?

Going on with that, obviously the accident was HIS fault.

Now It happens again, with another situation, and I "act" like I couldn't properly avoid the accident, and get in another one, again OTHER DRIVER IS AT FAULT, what would happen?

NOw you may ask, why?

I feel there are many many many bad drivers that cause many many many bad accidents, and get "away" with the accident, myself have been involved in one, and I have known dozens and dozens of people with same issues.

Too many people drive completely absentminded, with little to no insurance, never pay for their AT FAULT accidents, and harm the good driving people, causing their insurance premiums to go up, lose cars, medical bills, etc etc.

Why not put them in OUR shoes?

#3,561 ·
I got pulled over sat night by a CHP officer for a "speeding" stop which was really to test for alchi. He didn't pace me and he didn't radar me. I was breathalyzed and then he let me go because I hadn't been drinking. I was under the impression that city streets (quite far from highway) were out of CHP jurisdiction and highways were out of local police jurisdiction. Am i wrong?

#3,566 · (Edited)
For Frobie 15.....I got charged doing 102 MPH

Hi Frobie 15,

I have read many of your posts and deeply respect your opinion and profession.

First off...I drive 28,000 miles a year and have a clean driving record with zero accidents in my 20+ years of driving.

Recently, I was driving I-5 at 75 MPH (this is 10 over) and a young women cuts me off.

A few minutes later a plain looking Charger with a male wearing a Ski Cap pulls in behind me. The charger would not pass me and he was riding my ass. The Charger even pulled to my left at times. This went on for 10 miles. I became very nervous and felt kinda threatened by the Charger. I reacted and punched my BMW and small red and blue lights came on from the Charger. It was the State Police.... I pulled over and sure enough the tropper in the umarked car wearing a ski cap tells me that I am doing 102. I tell him that I felt harassed by him and did not know it was only a tropper.

He came back and told me that he will not charge me with reckless, but the 102 MPH ticket will stick.

Is the above considered entrapment??

I felt threatened and provoked by the long pursuit of the Charger up my ass?? It seems to me that the trooper realized this to some degree because he did not charge me with reckless??

#3,567 ·
A few minutes later a plain looking Charger with a male wearing a Ski Cap pulls in behind me. The charger would not pass me and he was riding my ass. The Charger even pulled to my left at times. This went on for 10 miles. I became very nervous and felt kinda threatened by the Charger. I reacted and punched my BMW and small red and blue lights came on from the Charger. It was the State Police.... I pulled over and sure enough the tropper in the umarked car wearing a ski cap tells me that I am doing 102. I tell him that I felt harassed by him and did not know it was only a tropper.

He came back and told me that he will not charge me with reckless, but the 102 MPH ticket will stick.
I've got a bunch of questions that I need some clarification on.

1 - What color was the Charger?
2 - He was wearing a ski cap? Not some other type of cap?
3 - Where on the I-5 were you? It's a long freeway :D
4 - You use the term State Police. Did he identify himself as that? Or are you calling him that on your own accord?
5 - Unmarked? How? No markings on the door, or just not black and white?

Is the above considered entrapment??
Basically, no. He was in plain sight, not timing you through any type of "speed zone" while sitting on a different roadway.

I felt threatened and provoked by the long pursuit of the Charger up my ass?? It seems to me that the trooper realized this to some degree because he did not charge me with reckless??
102 miles per hour alone does not mean reckless driving. And it's just an infraction. There's no reason to feel threatened if someone is following you on the freeway. And if you do feel threatened, call 911 and ask for a separate unit to come to the area.

#3,569 ·
Hey frobie, yesterday me and my friends were on my way back from bimmerfest and we were heading down 101. One of my friends is a diabetic and he needed to get some food or sugar because his blood sugar level was low. I have been his friend for 8 years and I've seen what happens when his level drops severely. Anyways I decided to increase my speed and my speedo was reading more or less 100. I then come over a slight hill and there was a cop behind a bridge and i slammed on my brakes immediately. When i pulled over he said he had gotten me on lidar at 105. He wouldn't even talk to me about the situation. So he ended up writing me a ticket with a code 22348(b) exceeding 100mph. I am 19 years old and i know I'm stupid for speeding. I have a clean record but i doubt that will help. How f'ed am I?

#3,570 ·
Depending on the court, you're facing as much as a 30 suspension on your license and a pretty hefty $750+ fine. You could try to use the argument that your friend is a diabetic, but it's probably not going to go anywhere. Why did he not have sugar packets in his wallet or a candy bar or something to eat?

#3,572 · (Edited)
Question, do cops or CHPs in general target events like Bimmerfest to give out tickets because they know there will be a concentration of targeted cars on the road?

That was a rhetorical question, as there were lines of CHPs giving out tickets to Bimmerfesters, all because their car look "flashy". That was pretty low IMHO.

Edit: Oh, and what optio said, there was another incident where the almost exact same thing happened. I was on the left lane at night on the 605S merging into 22E, going with the flow of traffic. All of a sudden, there's this car flew up behind me and stayed on my ass, as I move a bit faster to create a cushion, he sped up and got right back on my ass so I punched it to pass the car on the right so I can get over, as I do so the red light comes on. Guess what the ticket was for? 85 MPH. Pathetic!

I respect law enforcement officers and what they do, but the guy that gave me that ticket for speeding was a pig in every sense of the word.

#3,575 ·
Question, do cops or CHPs in general target events like Bimmerfest to give out tickets because they know there will be a concentration of targeted cars on the road?

That was a rhetorical question, as there were lines of CHPs giving out tickets to Bimmerfesters, all because their car look "flashy". That was pretty low IMHO.
Do you really, honestly think that the CHP was writing tickets to people for their cars looking flashy? Really? Or do you think that there's a chance that the drivers were doing something illegal and you noticed because the cars that were stopped were BMW's.

Edit: Oh, and what optio said, there was another incident where the almost exact same thing happened. I was on the left lane at night on the 605S merging into 22E, going with the flow of traffic. All of a sudden, there's this car flew up behind me and stayed on my ass, as I move a bit faster to create a cushion, he sped up and got right back on my ass so I punched it to pass the car on the right so I can get over, as I do so the red light comes on. Guess what the ticket was for? 85 MPH. Pathetic!
Were you going 85??? Then the ticket was appropriate. The tactics may be called into question, though. You should have slowed down and pulled over to the right. If an officer comes up behind you and already has their lights on, then speed up to move over.

I respect law enforcement officers and what they do, but the guy that gave me that ticket for speeding was a pig in every sense of the word.
He wasn't a pig, he was doing his job. You just have a problem with the fact that you got a ticket.

#3,577 ·
Yeah, I was going 85 momentarily so I can pull over to the right so the ******* can pass...

His job was to tailgate me at an unsafe distant so he can give me a ticket? Give me a freaking break.
If you have a problem with how he enforced the law, fight the ticket in court. I was debating if I should even address your post. Either change your attitude really quickly, or stop posting in this thread.

#3,578 ·
What you're doing is admirable, and I have no problems with it, I have cops friends and even though they sometimes have an attitude, they can recognize if something is wrong. My speeding ticket was flat out wrong, from any angles you look at it, even they said that the guy that gave me the ticket probably just got yelled at by the captain.

When passing, I can speed up then safely merge back with the flow of traffics. I contemplated to fight that ticket, but my time is more worthwhile. But, I did fight some subsequent BS tickets and won.

Anyways, so far I had in no ways gave you an attitude, or was being disrespectful towards you personally, you need to calm down and address the issues rather than just go straight into cop mode. If you feel that the officer in my story was right, then by all mean defend him. I had no reasons to add any other artificial flavors to that story as it was more than years ago, but I do remember it because it was an example of not protect and serve.

#3,584 ·
Hey guys, I found this thread searching for ticket info...Thanks to those who are answering questions.

I got a ticket on the 101 going to Bimmerfest. :facepalm:
13 over in a 65 and front windows tinted. (side windows not windshield)

In a box on the ticket labeled 'Special' the officer wrote '77' what does that mean? I wasn't driving in a caravan or around any other BMW's at the time, it was a couple hours after the caravans had already left LA.

I'm not trying to get out of or fight the ticket or anything, I just want to be able to go to traffic school to keep the point off.

Bird

P.S. It was a CHP Officer on a BMW that pulled me over, and he was pretty salty...all business. Me and my passenger had a good laugh at whether he was salty because of the 100 BMW's he pulled over before us or because he was missing the show :rofl:

#3,592 ·
Hey guys, I found this thread searching for ticket info...Thanks to those who are answering questions.

I got a ticket on the 101 going to Bimmerfest. :facepalm:
13 over in a 65 and front windows tinted. (side windows not windshield)

In a box on the ticket labeled 'Special' the officer wrote '77' what does that mean? I wasn't driving in a caravan or around any other BMW's at the time, it was a couple hours after the caravans had already left LA.

I'm not trying to get out of or fight the ticket or anything, I just want to be able to go to traffic school to keep the point off.
Only 13 over should be allowed to go to traffic school Wait until just before the date at the bottom of the ticket and call the court if you haven't received anything from them yet. Ask them. Again, I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed to go unless you have already gone in the last 18 months.

The special code could be any of 100's of different things. It's used for departmental stuff, not court stuff.
P.S. It was a CHP Officer on a BMW that pulled me over, and he was pretty salty...all business. Me and my passenger had a good laugh at whether he was salty because of the 100 BMW's he pulled over before us or because he was missing the show :rofl:
Most of the motor officers don't care that they ride BMW's. It's what the state gives them to ride. He might not be that salty (interesting that you know the term), but rather just conducts his business quickly. I don't stand there on the side of the freeway and BS with people. It's all business. Just out of curiosity, what's his badge number? It's right above where you signed.

#3,586 · (Edited)
so here is a situation for my friend

my friend came from washington state and he was driving my car, in fullerton down the imperial around midnight where there was no car, and it was somewhat downhill, he went 85 on 45 but we seriously did not know what the speed limit was

anyway, he got pulled over, cop wrote him a ticket as 22350cvc ticket (unsafe speed for prevailing speed), and a circle on infraction

questions are:
1) since he didnt write reckless code on the citation, would it be considered as just basic speeding ticket?
2) would he have to worry about getting his washington license suspended or something? its his first violation from washington or california
3) looking at standard orange county bail schedule for 2009, 22350 with over 26miles the limit is 380 bail amount would that be all? as far as conssequences go?
4) wouldhe have to go to court in california or just pay the ticket and get a point since 22350 is one point code...

#3,588 ·
1. The cite is for violating basic speed law only if that was the only vehicle code section noted
2. The reality is that different states rarely share information except in criminal matters, not traffic related items. His WA driver license shoudn't be effected
3. not sure exactly what it will work up to.
4. He can likely just take care of it online. If he is planning on moving to and obtaining a CA driver license, he should consider attending traffic school (http://www.occourts.org/directory/traffic/traffic-school.html)

#3,587 ·
As I like to play devils advocate in any and all situations, I would like to take the "tailgating" situation here, if no one minds.

If I am traveling on the freeway, day night morning afternoon, whenever, and I am traveling at the speed of traffic, be it 65/55/75 in a 65 MPH zone, and some a-hole tailgates me, and I do mean tailgates me, whether he ZOOMED up to me, or merged from another lane. Yes I know when you first merge, you might be close, then you let off the gas and get that "Safe" distance.

If this person does NOT let off my tail, here is a hint, TAP your brakes. do not BRAKE, by all means DO NOT BRAKE, tap them. Show him/her your red eyes. Your red bulls eyes. 99.9% of the time, they BACK off, why? Fear of an accident.

This will NOT cause one, as you are NOT braking and not really SLOWING down.

Another thing, be ^^@%$@&$&$ considerate. MAN!

So many times you can be in the fast lane doing 70-75 in a 65 and the guy behind you who has been driving in the fast lane the whole time going 80-85 just wants to stay in the same lane and NOT make an illegal pass on the right. Be observant of your surroundings, and if you see this, kindly MOVE over for the car to pass.

Same thing with this "charger" or this 605s to 22east, MOVE THE FREAK OVER! DO NOT speed up to pass. SLOW DOWN to move over, either 1) they will move around you, or 2) you will NOT speed.

So which will you choose?

#3,594 ·
Well put. But keep in mind that it is NOT, I repeat, NOT illegal to pass on the right on a freeway. The only time it's illegal to pass on the right is if it is:

A - Performed in an unsafe manner.
B - Completed on the shoulder of a roadway.

I pass cars on the right on freeways all the time. Patrol Car, personal car, doesn't matter. Most of the time the "freeway boulders" in the fast lane refuse to move over so the fastest way through traffic is in the middle or right hand lanes. This doesn't mean that weaving in and out of traffic is safe, or that doing so won't draw attention to you and get you stopped for a minor infraction, but it's perfectly legal.

#3,606 · (Edited)
I fought the court and WON!!! Thanks frobie for your help. :bow:

Let me attach a few pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

#3,609 ·
Be polite as possible, and tell your side of the story. Don't interrupt the cop - if you had requested to face your accuser - and take notes to see if you can point out mistakes or inconsistencies between his statement and the ticket.

The last thing you could do when you know you can't argue your way out, request for a continuance. Through my experience, the longer you delay the actual trial the less likely the officer will show up to your court case.

swtguysb said:
HELP!!! a CHP got me for now CA front license plate during bimmerfest ... I recieved the notice in the mail today and they want $174 as bail and same with correction ... this doesn't even sound right
This doesn't sound right, do you have the citation code?

#3,608 ·
HELP!!! a CHP got me for now CA front license plate during bimmerfest ... I recieved the notice in the mail today and they want $174 as bail and same with correction ... this doesn't even sound right:ben:

#3,610 ·
If the violation was marked non-correctable, then the fine amount sounds about right. You could probably contact the court and ask what the correctable fine amount is and if you can get it changed to that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.