E46 Fanatics Forum banner

got a flat. . .and apparently my spare is also

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Kubica 
#1 ·
So I looked down for one second on my way into work this morning and smoked a pothole (thanks ohio winter). It popped on the sidewall so i threw on the spare. It is the first time i have used it and while it holds air just fine in the trunk and when the car is sitting, once you drive it loses it real fast.

Question is do I replace the spare and now flat tire and put them on the front (with the good front as the spare). Or being that this is an xi Do i need to replace all 5. I really don't want to but you gotta do what you gotta do. The current tires on there are Michelin radials I believe. Definitely Michelins and they have 1/4 inch of tread left in the middle (Po put them on so). So they aren't that bad and they are pretty nice tires.

This is my first AWD car and I have no understanding of the driving dynamics of the BMW Xi system so I do not want to mess anything up but I also don't want to waste any good rubber.

#2 ·
1/4" of tread = 8/32" of tread. The tires when new probably had 10/32" tread. A 2/32" tread difference front/rear is ok. That said, do you really have 8/32" tread on your two best tires? You need a tire tread depth gauge to accurately measure tread depth. Eye-balling it or using a quarter really isn't going to cut it here.

Is the spare tire the same brand/size as the michelins? I bet if you remounted it on the rim it would hold air.

You can always look for a used tire if you can't afford a new pair/set.

#5 ·
Yeah the spare appears to be one of the original tires not the Michelin. I assume at 80k this only has had 2 sets of tires. It has some dry rot and not a lot of tread. This time it wasn't the end of the world as close to home as I was but next time With my luck I'll be 200 miles from home when I need that spare. I am not going to risk it. I have had a bad experience with a bad spare on a road trip.

So assuming my 8/32 is true than I could just buy a new pair and put them on the back? Do I need to get the exact same tires? Or will a similar tread pattern suffice? I would think I should go with the same tire but just checking. Who nows what the local guys will have. I will double check on the tread that I have. I used a metal ruler so.

I could afford to get a new set of tires but these just aren't that bad I hate to throw away money. I'm fine with replacing 2 bad tires just not the other 3 good ones. I'm a college student I'm trying to save as much as I can for next year when I graduate.

#6 ·
Yeah you want the exact same tires on all four corners. Your car won't explode if you dont have a matching set, but it's a good idea for many reasons. What model/size michelins are they? Michelin seems to make a model for many years so there's a good bet you can still buy them. They're also nice tires so gas stations and small shops tend to keep nice used ones around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.