E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Anyone have issues with coil packs after going F/I?

4K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Alex323Ci 
#1 ·
I had a coil pack go out last month before I got the HPF kit. Then the day got the kit (8/29) another one went out and I got that fixed at the stealer for $172. Yesterday (9/3) another one went out? I talked to HPF and they said use the powertrain coil packs instead of the bremi ones. So instead of changing the bad one, I bought 4 new powertrain coil packs and replaced the bremis. I now have 6 new coil packs. After I get done doing so, the car is still sputtering and shaking. After changing the coil packs are there any codes that have to be cleared or something else I was suppsoed to do that I didnt know about?

HPF also said check the gap on the spark plugs and make sure its .024. I will do that this afternoon, but if that doesnt fix it then what? I also ordered new plugs to see if thats the problem, but the HPF kit came with new plugs, so they shouldnt be old. Any input would help.
TIA

#5 ·
ok update.

All the coil packs are new but I rechecked them anyways. I even bought another brand brand new one to see if one brand new ones went bad. No go still the sputter.

I regapped all the spark plugs to .024 like HPF said to and check the plugs to make sure they were ok. Fired it back up and still the sputter. Then a couple of the mechanics at my dealership were messing with wires, unplugging and re-plugging them. Started the car back up and everything was all good. So I guess its fine...........for now

#7 ·
i have the same problem... this happened shortly after my s/c... i read around on the forum that having bremi coils can be and issue.. i just picked up some new bosch coils... hopefully it resolves the problems

#9 ·
I do not know if this helps but there is an extended warranty for engine coils. I am not sure if this is what you are referring to. It is 8 yrs/unlimited miles. The service bulleting is below.

Regards,
Loay

"SI B 12 24 05
Engine Electrical SystemsFebruary 2006
Technical Service
This Service Information Bulletin replaces S.I. B12 02 04 dated March 2005.

SUBJECT
S54B32- Special Limited Ignition Coils Warranty of 8 Years/Unlimited Miles

MODEL
MY '01, '02, '03 E46 - M3 coupe/convertible with S54 engine

MY '01, '02 E36/7 - M roadster/coupe with S54 engine

SITUATION
BMW has become aware of a potential problem that could affect the durability of Bremi ignition coils of certain MY' 2001, 2002, and 2003 BMW automobiles equipped with the Motorsport S54B32 engines. We estimate that only a small percentage of vehicles will actually develop a problem. Affected vehicles may have a Service Engine Soon light illuminated with misfire faults stored in the Engine Control Module (DME) and a rough running complaint.

CORRECTION
In the event that the Bremi ignition coils of a 2001, 2002, 2003 E46 (M3 coupe/convertible), or 2001, 2002 E36/7 (M roadster, M coupe) with S54B32 engine exhibit the symptoms of failure indicated above, they should be replaced with the improved ERA part (PN 12 13 7 551 260). For ignition coils replacing instruction refer to RA 12 13 511 found in BMW TIS.

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number
Description
Quantity
12 13 7 551 260
ERA coil
Max 6
WARRANTY INFORMATION
As a commitment to our customers, and to demonstrate our confidence in our product, BMW will extend the warranty of the Bremi ignition coils from 4 years or 50,000 miles to 8 years and unlimited miles.

The warranty extension for this component applies to the above listed models only and is transferable to any subsequent purchaser of these models.

This extended warranty is applicable to vehicles registered in all 50 states.

Warranty coverage for all other parts is not affected.

BMW will inform all affected owners of the above listed models of their extended Bremi ignition coils warranty. A sample letter is attached.

The following Warranty Information should be used if Bremi ignition coils replacement becomes necessary as outlined above:

Defect Code
12 13 93 14 00
Replace Bremi ignition coils. Includes deleting any
misfire fault codes stored in the Engine Control
Module (ECM/DME)
Main Work
Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
00 54 124
11 FRU - E46 M3 with S54
8 FRU – E36/7 M roadster/coupe with S54
+Associated Work
Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
00 54 692
9 FRU – E46 M3 with S54
6 FRU – E36/7 M roadster/coupe with S54
Note: The following explanations spell out the correct use of the work times.

Main Work:
Use this labor operation number when the only repair performed is the listed warranty repair.
OR
+Associated Work:
Use this labor operation number when other repairs or services are performed along with the listed warranty repair.
Under no circumstances should both labor operation numbers be claimed. Attempts to claim both times will result in an unnecessary delay in claim processing and payment."

#11 ·
ignition coil recall would still be replaced. if nothing else, the dealer probably would exchange the problematic coils for the newer ones.

#12 ·
Original poster, often people forget to put back the grounding strap when messing with the coil packs. when forgotten, they do exactly what you describe. if the shop got the strap back on when checking, everything would run great again.

#13 ·
I am having the sputtering issues as well. I just put new plugs in and will run the car tomorrow to see if its all good.
I was going to change the coils while in there, but I am not getting any misfire codes with a scan tool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.