E46 Fanatics Forum banner

New 1 series M not so "M"

10K views 21 replies 21 participants last post by  BMWjunkie77 
#1 ·
Picked up latest Motor Trend mag, article 11 best drivers cars, one of the testers a pro driver, multiple championships , said "I hate this car", the 1 series M was next to last in ratings. the cheapest car in the test the new Mustang Boss 302 LaGuna Seca was rated 5th. Read the article. BMW should be ashamed.

#3 ·
Motor Trend is one of the few car magazines that I don't read on a regular basis, because they quite often are at odds with my opinion on certain vehicles. Every other article, web video, or tv show I have seen on the subject has loved the 1M. The main gripes Probst had could likely have been due to tires, as I saw that most of the others had tires with tread-wear ratings under 100, and the 1M had 200. Usually the lower the tread-wear, the higher the grip.

#7 ·
motortrend does not count as a good opinion for me. and everyone else seemed to say it was one of the best bmws lately due to its weight. plus i drive my sisters 135i sometimes and that thing is a BEAST stock! I cant even imagine what the 370 ft lbs on the 1M feels like.

#10 ·
I don't believe OP's post is worth anything.

Just with anything that will get reviewed, there will be criticisms & praise.
Just because this driver didn't like the car it doesn't mean it is sh*t.
Let alone does it mean that BMW should regret putting it out.

My advice, if you are a prospective buyer, do the research, then DRIVE the thing
and decide for yourself.

My bet is... most ppl don't even have the driving skill to drive that car to it's limit.

#14 ·
Everyone that drives this car boasts about it, the car is a stellar car and next to the M3 CSL it's one of the best "drivers" cars they've ever built. It's an extremely focused car.

I don't listen to Motor Trend, they are more biased to American vehicles anyways it seems.

#15 ·
Motor Trend also missed the bus when they claimed the Mustang was a "better car" than the current M3 because, for less than half the price, you got almost all the performance.... who buys a BMW strictly for performance?

Well, maybe some do.. but, for me, a car is far more than the acceleration, braking, etc... it's the comfort, the aesthetics, etc... if I want to go fast, buy a bike

#17 ·
+1 they missed the boat. It's not all about outright speed. It's about the "finished product" and NO American car even comes close to the fit and finish of any BMW.

Have you ever seen the inconsistent panel gaps on a Mustang :facepalm:

#21 ·
#22 ·
I believe it was automobile mag that said the 1M was the first real M enthusiast driving car since the E30 M3. Being that went back to the shorter wheel base and beefy motor its a real driving machine. I think it's an amazing car and like most said C&D aren't always unbias. Im sure most of us here wouldn't regret owning one.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.