E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Project: Dyeing dove grey interior to imola red & black

329K views 302 replies 129 participants last post by  Non-Affiliated 
#1 ·
So lately, I have been toying with the idea of changing my interior color from dove grey to Black and Imola Red combination. I was trying to decide between the cinnamon and imola but with my car being TIAG, I do not think cinnamon would work out. I know this will be a long process and I have gathered information from reading other members' threads about dyeing their interiors to different colors. I spoke with Khristie from leatherique and tried to get as much information about dyeing the interior and making sure that the dye colors that they are about to send me will match the OEM BMW color since I read somewhere about this guy who was going to do an imola red dye but then decided to go with cinnamon instead since he was told that the red dye that he wanted did not have enough red pigments due to goverment EPA restriction stuff. I asked Khristie about that and she told me that what they meant was that they could not match the deep red interiors that some other cars have but luckily for us, they have the exact BMW OEM Imola red color. So long story short, I decided to go ahead and do this dreadful project. It will take time and I will try my best to be as detailed as possible updating you guys.

I purchased the KIT #4 (48 oz of dye, 32 oz Rejuvinator Oil, 32 oz Prestine Clean and 32 oz Prepping Agent) and 1/2 oz of Crack Filler with the Imola Red Custom Color)
and also a quart of BMW OEM Black Matt finish for the plastic pieces etc.

Acrylic brushes from a hobby store...
Air brush kit and a small compressor from home depot...

I plan to start taking out the door panels and front/rear seats this saturday and start prepping them.

WISH ME LUCK!

See less See more
Reactions: Charlie1891
#221 ·
Okay guys... Spring is here and I did some more mods to the interior... Here are some current photos of my interior taken today. I thought that it would be nice to update everyone regarding my dyed interior. So far so good... Been holding up very well as you can see in the photos. I purchased the RECARO SPORTSTER CS seats brand new which were originally black vinyl and black suede center and decided to have it shipped directly to Xclusv Autosports in Staten Island NY to have them wrapped in IMOLA RED Leather. I sent them my OEM headrest that I dyed and they matched the color of it.

Hope everyone is doing great! Any questions about dyeing, just pm me!

#236 · (Edited)
Used duplicolor first but then resprayed it with the Leatherique Dye. Holding up pretty good. Been 8 months now.

Just DAYAAAAAAMN... amazing work and the new seats look incredible! Well done!
:thumbsup:

so duplicolor doesnt look good on the door panels and dash?....i just went and bought 10 cans to start my project this weekend
I just resprayed it with Leatherique Dye to match my dashboard that was sprayed with the Leatherique Dye. I did not like the duplicolor finish. It was dull more than matte and very rough.

#248 ·
#249 ·
I remember seeing the pics months ago and it looked terrific--any chance the pics will be up again soon? Finally getting ready to dye my seats and it would be great to see your process as you'd intended.

Also, the hvlp spray system you got--did you just use the included gun? There's a great looking Wagner system on amazon with favourable reviews for a good price that I may snag for this job and the future.

Thanks!

#250 · (Edited)
Yup, I used the HVLP spray gun that came with the graco kit. It has options like vertical/horizontal/ round/ or flat spray patterns. You can also adjust the amount of dye or paint that comes out from the nozzle. Goodluck with the dye job and make sure to take your time and don't do short cuts.

Instead of posting photos, I decided to just do a video so that you can see the condition of my interior as it sits today.

http://youtu.be/jY9izCcNShw

#253 ·
Damn fine work, man! Love to see big projects like this. I'm in the process of collecting parts for a black/cinnamon conversion for my grey. I'm too lazy for all that dyeing though, haha. I'm just trolling eBay picking up used bits in good shape. And those seats are beautiful!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.