E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Alcantera steering wheel

4K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  Team M3 4 life 
#1 · (Edited)
Any of you guys have a steering wheel made of or has alcantera on it? If so, does it get dirty fast and are they easy to clean? I was reading about them and it seemed like you had to buy special products and if you don't do it right then you'll die. (something like that)

#11 ·
I found a very novel way to clean my alcantar steering wheel on my ZCP. I take a cotton terry cloth and soak it in water with a tiny bit of lemon juice (just a few drops). Then I wring out the cloth so it's just barely damp. I drape the cloth over my steering wheel and wrap it around. I very lightly move the cloth around on the steering wheel, not rubbing a lot, but just in small sections. I move from section to section to get the whole wheel. I'm not dragging the cloth at all, just moving it back and forth in one area. I let this sit for a few hours or overnight, and it always looks re-freshed. I try this every 3-4 months and it's worked for 2+ years.

#13 ·
I have found no matter how 'clean' you are in a daily driver you are looking at 15-20k miles before the spot(s) you normally keep your hands get a bit of shine to them...another 15-20k and then you almost need to replace it no matter how careful you are.

I have heard the average is about 25-30k miles before many original owners had their's redone and this was a common complaint under warranty services (not honored usually).

I like the feel. I had thought about going perf. leather, but the alacantara gives a great connection to the wheel and doesn't get as hot (I live in S. Florida).

#16 ·
I think ill keep my false pride before anyone sees me wearing gloves in my car on the street.. :lmao::lmao:

#25 ·
Haha. Wearing gloves isnt an ego thing, its a {|}pu:;y thing. Absolutely would take away the feel. But i guess u could put a magnum trojan over your hands and just dont worry about how u look with your polo shirt and slacks. Alcantara doesnt match anything inside of your car unless you did interior too. But i guess neither do the red interiors. No offense

#27 ·
^ agreed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.