E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DIY: Z8 Engine Start Button Install for the BMW E46 3 Series

53K views 46 replies 29 participants last post by  That_1_E46 
#1 ·

Attachments

#3 ·
I think it would be quite cool. I have seen ones where they leave the option for the key to still start the car also. Normal day to day driving just use the key but with passengers you can use the push button, obv for the cool factor :)

#19 ·
You're comparison might make sense if it wasn't for the "inconvenience factor" associated with having to remove your hand from the key to push the button.

The only way a push button makes since is if you could leave the key in your pocket and start the car. If one wants a push start BMW, buy an E9x or newer.

#12 ·
:woot:

To those of you claiming that it is r1ce because it isn't functional, have we looked around at the number of people running angel eyes, aftermarket exhausts which give 0 hp, cf interiors, or endless numbers of other mods that people do solely for something unique, different, or cool?

:facepalm: at 2010 yet again.

OP, just shoot me a message if you have any questions or need any help with the project. One thing I would suggest is getting a button other than the z8 one... cost/benefit ration just doesn't add up as the z8 button from the dealer ill run you 1/2 the cost of oem m3 mirrors :rofl: Had i not found it on here used, never would have gotten it.

#31 ·
:woot:

To those of you claiming that it is r1ce because it isn't functional, have we looked around at the number of people running angel eyes, aftermarket exhausts which give 0 hp, cf interiors, or endless numbers of other mods that people do solely for something unique, different, or cool?
all those things are cosmetic mods (except for the exhaust, 0 hp, but you save a lot of weight. oem exhaust is heavy). you just install it once and forget about it.

it's not that it isn't functional. it's redundant. if you turn it to position 2, just go a little more and there you go. why do you have to take your hand off to push a button?

it's like say, you have automatic door closing, but in order to use it, you have to first reach out and pull it in 75% of the way, and it will close on it's own the rest of the way. what's the point, you already did all of the work basically lol

#14 ·
This thread is funny.

Xaviman calls the button rice but he has M3 fender grills on a 323 sedan
hummermaniac88 calls the button rice but he has tinted tails ( a mod that I will never understand)
Then the guy with everything M3 modded on his non M3 car shows up to defend the button,
but complains that the oem button is not worth the money.

lol.

Xaviman where is the smg plate I asked you for?

#22 ·
i agree with chase. half of what we go through is only noticeable to us and most of it is rather inconvenient. I spent 4 hours outside in the hot sun in my driveway applying shadowline vinyl to the chrome trim on my coupe. Each and every person in my family walked by and said, What the Fvck are you doing. Once i told them i was going from chrome to matte black? they looked at me like i was crazy and said they never would have noticed. So really all the things we do in general apply to us and the e46 community. thats it. personally i think a start button is freaking awesome. yes it seems a little absurd because its function is useless compared to a real start button but hey? I don't smoke and never will use the cigarette lighter. so why not a start button instead?:)

#30 ·
If you want a button that isn't nearly as expensive as the z8 one, just go with a s2000 button. You can get them new online for ~$35.00. I put on in my car and it's still one of my favorite interior mods. There was a DIY somewhere out the once upon a time that I used, but I couldn't find it.

And as far as being inconvenient, I figure I'm gonna more my hand down to the shifter anyway, so I can just press it then. It's not like it's placed under my seat or anything.

#33 ·
I did this on my 2000 Subaru Legacy when we did an engine swap. But, it didn't have a microchip in the key. It was all about taking the ignition cylinder and throwing power and ground with relays. It was pretty sick, I can take some pictures if anybody is interested.

#35 ·
Is there a DIY on a button that turns the car over yet? One press, engine on, or maybe like my prius, one press while foot on brake turns engine on. Foot off brake and press button power comes on.

#37 ·
I think its pretty cool, i would like to do this to my car and find done way to not have to insert key but insert it in a hidden location. So moving the sensor the detects the key to some where else, like my euro tray, or in the door panel hidden somewhere. Just a thought.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App

#42 ·
Also, I think this would be good for city people, like kill the engine, leave keys in the ignition, run out, run in, and then A. hit the button and go, B. Car gets stolen C. Car catches fire because a wire came loose, touched the carpet, and roasted everyone and thing you know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.