E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Do i want an m3?

4K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  empirem3 
#1 ·
i've recently been considering selling my 328i for an m3. i really really love my sedan and the amount of power it has is sufficient to me. it has upgraded suspension and wheels. it handles very very well and i don't really desire more but would welcome it.
bottom line is, i want an m3 but do i really? i've never driven one and i'm not sure if it's really worth the trouble and money it would take to upgrade.
also the VANOS failures i keep reading about scare me. it seems like it's just a ticking time bomb and you can't really prevent it happening. i don't feel like buying a $25k car and then having the engine explode.

also the cost of parts for the m3 pisses me off. suspension is like $2500 alone. that's annoying. it's not that i can't afford it. it's just that it's very expensive to mod and this is definitely a factor because i like to tastefully mod my cars.

what do you think? is the m3 worth it when i already love my 328i?

#4 ·
it's not that i can't afford it. it's just something to consider and i'm wondering if it's worth the extra cost. i'm trying to gauge how much better the m3 actually is. i haven' had the chance to drive one.

the vanos exploding is a fairly known problem with the m3s

#3 ·
If you can afford it, it shouldn't be a problem. This has been covered, but, most M3's run just fine over 100,000 miles with no problems. Forums fill everyone with paranoia about their M3, because that's where people turn to when they have their problems. Look at ANY car forum; it's filled with people having problems with their cars. People don't create a thread saying "my car is running great today"... do they? No. If you want the car, do some research, find a clean one, get a PPI, stay off the forum for a while, and enjoy it. Just have the money to back it up in case anything does go wrong.

#5 · (Edited)
Yes, in my opinion the M3 is worth every penny. That being said, and as Rocky stated - if you are already having doubts about wanting to keep up on the maintenance of the M3 and disappointed in the cost of said maintenance or upgrading parts - I would second his statement and say keep your sedan and avoid the M3.

The M3 is phenomenal, rewarding and an 'experience' to own - wrapped up in part of that experience is $, joy, nerves, exhilaration and some other emotions.
Sounds like you need to take one for a test drive and then have a real heart-to-heart with yourself about the entire M3 ownership 'experience.'

With zero disrespect to your current 328 - there is NO comparison between the two other than the fact of the BMW emblem being on both cars.

#7 ·
gonna go take pics of my car for a feeler thread :eeps: haha
i will test drive one when i become more serious. looking to get into one within the next few months hopefully. we'll see how things play out.
if my 328i wasn't so special to me there would be a lot less doubt in upgrading.

#8 ·
suspension 2500? if youre going to be a crazy tracker ok 2500, but i mean if your the average joe driver, you really dont need top of the line coil over kits, i bought the middle of the KW line and they do fine on the track. if you can do brakes, oil changes and fluid flushes yourself, there really isnt any maintenance to pay for. the vanos, mine didnt explode or anything but i had mine replaced about 10K miles ago, then it was around 91K miles. the only real big thing you might need to pay for is gas.

so in other words to answer your question, YES YOU WANT AN M3!!!

#11 ·
The //m3 is the "ultimate driving machine". Seriously. I bought mine 2months ago. Its beautiful. Had to replace the release bearing. $22 part but did the whole clutch too. Wad told that a clutch replace job is the most labor intensive thing on tge car. 107000 miles on original clutch and it still had life to it best car i've ever owned. Hey Albanian....hows that turbo?? Lmao!!!! Those guys r f'in with u. U CANNOT put a diesel turbo on a gasoline motor. Oh ...and STOP using duct tape to cover tears in your seats. Just go buy new f'in seats. God....some ppl. Even Allah would tell u that lol oh and religion is a scam

#13 ·
Way to stay on topic dude..

and op- yes you want and M3. I have test drove a few manuals and smg's and love them, but I could really tell some of the lower priced ones were beat by how they drove. Find one that you like at the price you can afford: rock and roll.

#12 ·
All the high school kids will drool over it and chicks too ;). I've had mine for 6 months with not much done to it. one oil change, one a/c belt replaced, spark plugs (didnt need to thought i'd get better gas mileage, no), new battery all done myself. Its due for an inspection II tho which will run you anywhere from 800-1k. gas gas gas lots of it. I think i have leaks/sweating around the vanos lines too which will need attention soon. Get ready to pay about double of what you would pay for a reg. e46. And i have the famous m3 trans. clunk. I dd it so i kinda miss my 330i auto!
Try to find one 2003.5 and up.

#14 ·
I was in a 325 for four years, 2 in the E36 and 2 in the E46.
I kept telling everyone that the power was 'good enough' for me... Now that I am in my ///M, I know they must have been laughing when I left our meets and drives.
I, also, had never driven one... Then I did, just like everyone says...no comparison. But to each their own...

Go drive one, really drive one, then if you're not sure... DRIVE ANOTHER ONE.

If you're still not convinced...enjoy the 328 like you have been.

#15 ·
I am not sure what year your 328, but when I brought my M3 to the dealer for some basic stuffs, I was given a 2010 328 loaner and the driving experience was so bland, I couldn't wait to get back to the M (again not being disrespectful to your 328). With the M, you're able to communicate with every aspects of the car, whereas the 328 pretty much filters out everything and dare I say it has no "soul"?

#18 ·
if you treat her good ( no driving erratic, no burn outs , not racing to a red light , braking hard , easy on potholes , proper maintenance , no revving past 4 rpm etc. ) she will be good to you . i cruise with my baby n only drive her when its nice outside n she gave me no problems (almost 80k on a ZCP 06 stick shift with peanut butter color seats) KNOCK ON WOOD

#19 ·
I was in my 325ci for 6 years, picked up an M3 before selling the 325 and I wouldn't go back. The only thing that I don't like about the M3 is the seats...my ass is numbs after an hour+ of driving, I drove 16 hours in one day in the 325 and not a single complaint.

#21 · (Edited)
Drive it. It you fall in love like I'm sure most of us current M3 owners did then do it. Parts prices can be scary, but it usually comes in spurts.

Just take your time buying one. The price premium that well maintained cars demand is worth it in the long run. They can go downhill pretty quick if neglected. I found many sad examples when I was shopping for mine. Get a good one and you should only have to worry about scheduled maintenance for a while, which is well documented on m3forum.net so you can pretty well plan out expenditures. Not 100% of course because crap happens. It's still an E46.

Buy a "bargain" one and you're most likely going to get punched in the face with unexpected expenses on top of regular maintenance costs and the ownership experience is going to be tainted.

Word of advice, though. Just because you can technically afford something doesn't mean that it's worth buying it. If unexpected repairs are going to hurt you financially, even if you have enough to cover the cost, then don't do it. You'll be paranoid the entire time you own the car.

#23 ·
I love my M3, but its not for everyone. If you are already getting sticker shock with the parts and the repairs you should just pass. It won't get better as time goes on.

#24 ·
Drive one....totally different experience. I had a perfect 330ci with only 24K miles on it. Car drove perfect. Was sporty yet still smooth and the transmission was like butter. Always wanted an M3. I had to drive like 10 cars. Gave up twice cause all the cars I drove were beat to hell. Then I drove my last M3. WOW...the condition of the interior wasn't great, but the motor had so much life in it. Sold my 330ci at a 2k loss to drive that car home. Never looked back...I will say for a short period within the first couple of weeks I found out about all the weird things with the M3. You will hear a clunk noise when putting it into gear with a manual. Don't panic it's 100% normal.

The advice above is correct on a well maintained car. My first M3 was enjoyable to drive and had tons of power, but it had issues. I got an aftermarket warranty and I was glad I got it. My current M3 I paid up for a low mileage car (26K). Totally has been worth the extra $$$. Way less issues...word of advice - PAY UP for the nice one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.