E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Xenon Illumination Improved

4K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  yukondiver 
#1 ·
I just completed a modification to my ZHP xenon low beam lights that I'm very happy with - nearly full illumination 180 degrees in front of the car - no more ridiculous darkness left of center.

From previous posts it seems others weren't bothered by the fact that the adaptive xenons failed to fully illuminate mroe than about 50 feet ahead of the car and to the area left of center of the direction of travel, but I was.

The field of view of illumination used to look like this sloppy sketch: ______/--------; great illumination right of center but lousy and dangerous illumination on the left. No amount of manual adjustment by me or the dealer could correct it, at least not without blinding on-coming traffic; the alignment couldn't even be brought within BMW's published specs, and the dealer didn't care...

My sollution was to dissaemble the xenon light assembly on the bench to get at the shutter that was preventing full, linear illumination. Less than an hour labor per side was all that was required to dissamble/assemble and grind level the shutter, and now I have awesome illumination from left to right, with no apparant detriment to oncoming traffic.

#27 ·
I re-read your first thread and you mentioned adaptive headlights, if they do not cover the area to the left and it is a noticeable safety problems shouldnt the dealer do something about it?

#28 ·
nEVERCLEAR said:
Isn't the reason for the notched pattern so you don’t blind oncoming traffic? I am all for more light and even hooked up my high beams to my bi-xenons so when I want light and no one is around I can have it like day light, but this seems to impeded other drivers and in general give everyone with Xenons a bad image. I get flashed often enough and my lights are angled down a little.

To each his own...
I think the reason of the notches is indeed to minimize blinding of oncoming traffic. The leveling knobs/auto-leveling still function like normal, though.

Since I have the projector46's, I just readjusted the knobs so that the beam is pointed a certain height. I actually just finished the retrofit and am about to go for a test drive. Even before testing them out, judging from the very small modification to the shutter/shield, the retrofit won't make that big of a difference in terms of blinding people.

I'll try posting some pics later of the beam before and after.

#30 ·
I like 2001BMW330xi's graphic of how the illumination differs on the 'd' and 'p' side. It would make sense that the dealer could do something to flip the 'd' and 'p' side illumination for Europe, however, after taking the lights apart it seems physically impossible that this could be done. So, since only Great Britain that drives on the left side (in Europe, I believe), a flip in the 'd' and 'p' side illumination would only be required there, which would necessitate different parts; not to mention the other vehicle changes to accomodate right hand drive.

As for having the dealer adjust the lights that was a complete waste of time. After three attempts at Cunningham BMW all they could do actually misaling the lights worse. Even after these steps they couldn't do a thing: 1) I showing them pictures of the poor nighttime illumination, 2) allowing the service manager to borrow my car overnight (he agreed they didn't illuminate as desired), and 3) they produced a BMW technical graphic showing that the Xenon lights are intended to illuminate a distance of 50 meteres on the left side and 100 meters on the right.

Sure, the reduced illumination on the left side is meant to reduce glare to oncoming traffic. Problem was that BMW had the transition from the 'p' to 'd' side at the center of the shutter., making for a 'black hole right where you need to look. Duh. Other high end car makes don't have this trouble.

Anything other than a minor tweak on the adjuster knobs to get better left side illumination would result in excessive glare to oncoming or followed vehicles - I know because I got highbeams blasted at me a few times after adjustment attempts, even by the dealer.

In my DIY I guess I could have just shifted the transition point by partially grinding the shutter, but instead of messing around I decided to grind it level all the way across the shutter - no more darkness on the left and no complaints from other drivers.

Let me know if you want the DIY emailed directly to you, as I don't think it's been posted on the website yet.

Sorry for babbling...

#32 ·
Just returned from my test-drive. Haven't received any high beams yet. Illumination is more even than before. However, I believe my 6000K bulbs need to be replaced w/ a lower color temp to achieve even better illumination (sorry 6000K fans, I just don't think it's enough light).

I'll post pics probably tomorrow.

#33 ·
so wait, if you guys grinded the shutter - how do your bi-xenon high beams still work? Isn't it the shutter that moves out of place to allow the full light to shine through? This being the case, you are probably blinding somebody, somewhere, you just don't know it. I mean, I know you didn't get rid of the shutter completely, but you're letting out more light than you should be.

#34 ·
you know there's one simple screw that adjusts the vertical angle of each headlight. You could have just turned that unstead of changing any parts :dunno:

how do you think they adjust your headlights at a shop

#35 ·
yukondiver said:
after taking the lights apart it seems physically impossible that this could be done.
quite the contrary. I may be getting my mercedes & bmw dealerships confused, but I think it's something they do on the computer. It is related to the autoleveling fxn I believe and that's how they control it - which means had you retrofitted your lights, there'd definetely be no way for them to do it.

#36 ·
jeff330i said:
you know there's one simple screw that adjusts the vertical angle of each headlight. You could have just turned that unstead of changing any parts :dunno:

how do you think they adjust your headlights at a shop
ha, im sure they thought of it - but didn't want to 'misalign' them so oncoming drivers were being blinded by the already controversial lights.

#37 ·
In repsonse to Jeff330i, yes there is that knob atop and behind each headlight assembly that the dealer and I tweaked in and out. The problem is that in order to get decent forward illumination on the left side the right side illumination HAS to go up as well, which results in the illumination of freeway overhead signs and, needless to say, the retinas of oncoming/ or followed drivers.

The headlight assembly and design is not at all like less 'sophisticated' cars. There is a shutter/shield in the left and right side low/high beams that is identical in shape and orientation from left to right. They are fully interchangable. So, you can not just turn up adjustment on the leftside without also adversely affecting the right-side illumnation from the left light. the pattern of illumination from each light is completely identical.

In response to 2001BMW330xi, the shutter/shield connects to only one motor at the back, and the sole purpose of this motor is lower/open the shutter for autoleveling and high beam activation, as shown in the attached pic. Non charged with voltage, the motor is at rest as is the shutter in the low beam position. When charged with voltage the motor 'rod' pushes out causing the shutter to flex/bend at its anchor points at the back of the reflector, resulting in the lowering of the shutter at the front of the reflector, and voila, the lights are leveled or high beams are 'on', depending upon the amount of voltage delivered to the motor. So, with my mod, the autoleveling, highbeam operation are still OEM.

I agree with leej323, brighter/whiter bulbs are needed. I was beside a newer Lexus lastnight and the scoundrel had a nicer (whiter/brighter) lights that also gave great lateral illumination. This Lexus also had respectible forward illumnation left to right.

I'll try to post before and after pics tonight.

Attachments

#38 ·
2001BMW330xi said:
so wait, if you guys grinded the shutter - how do your bi-xenon high beams still work? Isn't it the shutter that moves out of place to allow the full light to shine through? This being the case, you are probably blinding somebody, somewhere, you just don't know it. I mean, I know you didn't get rid of the shutter completely, but you're letting out more light than you should be.
It's possible, but I get the feeling that ANY xenon lighting system will blind somebody, somewhere, at some place in time. I was driving in front of a buddy of mine who has a 325Ci w/ bixenon capability and auto-leveling. Even with my auto-dimming mirror, I was being blinded from behind. And no, his auto-leveling function wasn't/isn't broken.

I'm also easily blinded by the countless Lexus SUV's and Land Rovers (the latter seems to have no shutter/shield at all). Also, even before I modified the shield with my beam calibrated correctly, I would be flashed by people w/ halogens JUST BECAUSE I have xenons. I know a lot of people hold the view "If you have xenons, your lights are too bright; I don't care if they're aimed correctly."

I'm sure you've experienced times when you're driving and as a xenon-equipped car comes your way, you're suddenly exposed to a burst of light as the reflection of the beam within the housing shines directly in your eyes. I bet nearly everyone has had this experience before. It's obvious that xenons are very bright, but taming that light while staying on budget is difficult, even for OEM manufacturers.

#41 ·
I believe the DIY will be posted soon, but if not then email me so I can send it to you.

Here are some before and after photos. They were taken at different camera exposures, but you can see the difference in the pattern of illumination – linear from left to right.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.