E46 Fanatics Forum banner

The HPF Hood Was Born

30K views 106 replies 51 participants last post by  HPFMTRE 
#1 ·
Yes... Yes.... Yes! The HPF hood is now on full throttle. We met up w/ the guys at Advance Composite Systems today to talk about how we are now ready to go full speed on getting this hood manufactured. A great meeting with the guys and are very excited to see the progress of the HPF Hood. Definitely stay tuned!

See less See more
#51 · (Edited)
No, I get that. I would have kept the stock hood if I was not widebody. I understand there's really only so much that can be done. But why make "your" hood not really your hood. It's kinda like saying hey you stay there and design and make a hood. Then to only have a another company take part of your design put it in there "own" hood. Granted I'm am by No means saying Chris is trying to steal from anybody. Just would like to know why not make your own hood from scratch when you have designer right there.

:Edit: Would be nice to see something actually new. :thumbsup:

#52 ·
Lol Mav i get what your saying But Chris already tried with his own designs and potential customers said its not for BMWs which I agree and those same potential customers said a redesigned GTR style hood would be best with all the kinks works out that most the vorsteiner hoods have, mines pretty much flawless but the Clear coat where my vents started to fade and also my CSL vorsteiner trunk started to fade...

#54 ·
I have taken to have any CF product sanded and clear coated (UV) by MY paint and body guy. I know its done correctly then. It doesn't cost that much. I tell him to wait until he is clear coating another project and spray my pieces then. Much cheaper. I dont pay for any set up labor. I hardly get charged much at all really for a bunch of smaller pieces.

My Vorstiener License plate frame got trashed(dull, soft, punky..it was terrible!) by the sun in mere months before I started clear coating ALL my CF pieces.

#60 ·
Getting Closer To Perfection: HPF Hood v2.0

Creating the perfect hood can be very time consuming. We are striving to create a design that would appeal to the masses. We do listen to your feedback, comment, and input. We are creating this hood for YOU.

So version 2 of our hood design took some of those inputs. Let us know what you think. What would you want to see? What would you change? Give us your input and we'll listen. We are definitely eager to have this rolling in production.

#65 ·
Creating the perfect hood can be very time consuming. We are striving to create a design that would appeal to the masses. We do listen to your feedback, comment, and input. We are creating this hood for YOU.

So version 2 of our hood design took some of those inputs. Let us know what you think. What would you want to see? What would you change? Give us your input and we'll listen. We are definitely eager to have this rolling in production.

Looking good! :clap: Are there going to be vents?

#62 ·
Kenton... Now that we have all the hood specs in the computer, maybe we will come out with an OEM version next for the M3. It's really a guessing game which type of hood will sell more and we want to create the highest selling version first. I do realize there is a demand for OEM carbon fiber replacement hoods. They just aren't very exciting. I can't wait to put this new hood on both HPF M3s.

Chris.

#66 ·
Power Dome

As mentioned, we listen to feedback from our customers. The Power Dome, found in the oem style M3 hoods seem to be one feature everyone would want. To keep a “stock” look, we decided to keep that dome, but definitely make it better. We decided to raise it up just a tad bit, give it a more aggressive feel to our hood, which in turn only makes our hood a lot more stiffer.

#69 ·
As mentioned, we listen to feedback from our customers. The Power Dome, found in the oem style M3 hoods seem to be one feature everyone would want. To keep a “stock” look, we decided to keep that dome, but definitely make it better. We decided to raise it up just a tad bit, give it a more aggressive feel to our hood, which in turn only makes our hood a lot more stiffer.

Provided the build quality exceeded what is currently available, I would buy that.

Sure there are things I would like a little bit different, but I would simply take that on myself with some custom composite work.

#68 ·
Asuka will never be one-upped. Its the best example of an aftermarket hood, period.
The HPF hood is:

#1) Made in the USA
#2) No fiberglass fillers. These hoods are 100% carbon fiber with a "core" center for added strength and lighter weight.
#3) Top AND BOTTOM layers of the hood are 100% carbon fiber. Not fiberglass.
#4) Designed as a DIAB sandwich core using the same method that Koenigsegg uses to build their cars. This is done for added strength and reduced weight.
#4) Comes with a UV Marine Clear Coat built in, not primered or painted to cover up defects.
#5) Has OEM quality fitment.
#6) Includes a 12 month limited warranty from Advanced Composite Systems. This warranty covers surfaced defects such as crazing of the topcoat, fading and disoloration of the topcoat, and chipping or checking not associated with damaged related to acts of God, misuse, abuse, negligence, road damage or installation damage. Nor does it warrant against damage associated with shipping.

Grendelsbane said:
Tell me about the vents. Can they be closed in the rain or some sort of diverter system in it?

I do like the look of the thing.
Thanks. We will develop the hood so that an under vent rain diverter can be added to keep the engine dry.

joeysm3 said:
Thanks.

roadtrip1098 said:
Version 2 is better, but It almost looks like some of the other hoods already out there. What iff the vents were more inboard, smaller and moved further up the hood so exhaust heat would be vacuumed out? Then either plumb up an intake tube for the drivers side or have it blocked off so rain wont get in on that side.... Just toying with ideas.
Thanks. I definitely agree with the rain block. The GTR style hood has the vents more forward and circular and the Asuka style hood has the vents more rearward and inward. We've looked at these other hood styles but have pulled away from trying to match the identical locations or styles of either M3 hoods.

scca_ziptie said:
Removable 'plates/blockoffs' for the vents on the sides of the hood would make it a pretty slick deal for the street going crowd - open holes would probably turn off quite a few potential customers considering the amount of water that would make it's way into the engine bay (especially on the driver's side where the HID ballast would be pretty much directly below one of the cutouts).
I agree. I think rain getting onto the engine will deter some customers from buying the hood.

0-60motorsports said:
Looks fantastic
Thanks. :)

808elise said:
Well it looks a lot like a vorsteiner product minus fins and a larger bulge. I like the larger more e92 style bulge but I want exhausting to come out the back of it and somehow tie into the windshield gutter so it does not leak a ton of water into the engine bay. If someone would develop a hood that can exhaust without the mess it would sell. I do like that bulge though.
I like the larger e92 bulge as well. The HPF carbon fiber hood will seal to the existing OEM location by the window so there will be no rain coming in from the windshiled gutter.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Chris.

#70 ·
I do like this new design. Can we get some different angles of the rendered design? I'm curious to see how the bulge looks and also the vents. Would you say it's more E92M or kind of in between?

Thanks

#77 ·
This one looks nice!

I would buy this one.

btw, I had the rain covers when Vorsteiner sold them.. and they were crap!

The clips will brake the vents and scratch them.. and when driving some will come off.. It was just a pain in the a$$... plus the covers was heavy too..

Solution I came up with... just have some Masking Tape in the trunk. The vents are not that huge so even with rain the tape would hold up even with water in it...and its easy to put on and take off with no mess..

#81 ·
I think that the 2nd version looks better, but i don't see the point of the outer strip vents besides the look factor and water entering spot. The car doesn't have any heat parts beneath it. IMHO, the heat is higher on the rear of the hood.

I made some rough modifications but i think that is enough to get the idea. This vents style enhances the hood bump look by starting lining with the front of the bump and going more backwards where the heat is more severe. It frees the hot air from the most critical area with the help of the air flow that comes in from the bumper and front hood grills. The vents doesn´t look so good because it is deformed from the zooming tool.

Sorry for my very poor photoshop skills. I tried my best. :rofl:

#85 ·
More stock power dome with the single row of vents as above would get my vote

#86 · (Edited)
Hey Chris,

I think it is great that you are looking to add a new option to the market:clap: I like to point out a few things. You should have two main hoods.

1.aggressive ( the guys that have wide body, or alot of exterior works)

2.mild (the guys with light mods, "clean look"
(not everyone will run it for function)

**Both hoods should have vents that allow for the rain to be directed away with a detachable piece of plastic, I am pretty sure Motorsport24 makes something similar.
**Also you should offer both hood with a slightly more aggressive dome, no more aggressive than e92 m3. OR Dome delete (aka down force style which you already presented.)
**You can run Dome or dome-less based on popular demand on your 1st group buy. The track guys will go dome-less and the street guys will go dome.

Don't be afraid to make a GTR copy. It is what people like, focus your companies great resources toward a better engineering of quality; and a better angle for heat disposal, in terms of the GTR vents.

I hope you do not take this in the wrong way as I am only trying to help this product gain market demand and a product that I can buy in the future.

Cheers.

Attachments

#88 ·
Don't be afraid to make a GTR copy.
IMO, the GTR hood was designed to let the S62 breath better in the E46 engine bay. Having a S54 engine and a GTR hood would make me feel like driving a 325i with M3 badge...

Also i don't see any advantage to go from the stock aluminium hood to CF hood. The weight gains are minimal and the risk of getting a open hood at speed is much more higher. That is why you see so many CF hoods with race locks.

Maybe HPF should consider to deliver the CF hoods with race locks included.

Pay attention at 0:25min :yikes:

M3 Flying hood

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.