E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Wheel fitment: 42mm offset on xi

3K views 26 replies 5 participants last post by  TR4G- 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

considering picking up a set of elbrus ZHP reps. They are 18 inch with 42mm offset. First time purchasing rims. Will I run into fitment issues on either the front or the rear with 42mm offset?

Tires are 225/40/R18. I dont want to have to roll my fenders or do any shaving. Car has KW V1s, so height is adjustable

#5 ·
Ok we'll I've changed my mind lol. Headed out Friday to see if a set of OEM BBS Style 29s will fit on my xi. Tires are 225/55r16 I believe. Although the sidewall height is pretty large I think it should be fine if I raise up my car (sitting low on stock 17s now). That way I can relieve stress on my cv boots while enjoying e39 good looks on my shoes!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#11 ·
Running into a small amount of rubbing with moderate suspension play (dips in road, cornering hard). Looking to put on smaller tires. The OEM recommendation for a 16 inch tire is 205/55 I believe. Would it be unsafe to run 205/45s? I'm not concerned with the spedo issue, but more so rubbing. So stepping down from 225/55 (235/55 on rears) to 205/45 would probably cure my rubbing issues. What are your thoughts on this?

#13 · (Edited)
Sorry for not listening.

I don't understand why it would be such a stretch. 205mm is 8.07 inches. On and 8inch rim. How thick is the lip of a tire? Would not the stretch be minimal? Also what is the danger of stretching. Can the tire come off the rim? Or is it more of a stability issue with the sidewall of the tire?

Edit: I've been digesting a lot of information via several threads (This one as well as older threads via search) sorry if I've missed some points. I see now your reccomedation of 205/55.

#16 ·
I recommended 205s on a 7" wide rim, now you have 8" wide, effectively pushing your wheels out another 1/2" resulting in the rubbing your experiencing now.

As far as stretch goes that 205 is the width of the tire at the sidewall, not the tread patch. It will have some stretch but not excessive at all, however the problem that still persists is that you have too wide of a rim, or to low of an offset. Like I said as long as your not slammed and it's safe to machine off 5-8 mm off the back pad of those wheels, that's the best way I can see (be sure your rear wheel lugs do not interfere with park brakes). Otherwise you'll need to run some negative camber which costs money to get that adjustability in the front and will wear tires on the inner edges more, roll the fenders (not much can be done in the front from what I hear) which costs money, or run more stretch (which looks ghey unless your car is sick).

You got yourself into this, just be sure to keep us updated as to how you get out of it as this thread can become useful for those looking at what is "at the limit" in terms of clearance without issues.

BTW my fronts are 225/40 18s ET 29 and I'm lowered on H&R touring cupkit, It's really close but never rubs, that's why I knew you'd be in trouble.

It would help if you told us what suspension you're running as you indicated you have some drop.

#15 ·
Yes Rick, I have 205/45R17s on my 17x7 Style 73s. I also have a set of one piece Style 5s, 16x8 ET23. I'm using the style 5s as a summer set, and making my Style 73s a winter set. I'm looking for advice on tires for the Style 5s due to the low offset. When I picked them up they had 225/55s on two and 235/55s on the other two. I'm encountering a bit of rubbing with passengers in the car. Pretty much none when I'm by myself. However, this is not practical considering I have a sedan.

So I think I will grab a set of 205/55s to do away with this small rub. But I'm concerned whether 205s are safe to run on 8 inch rims. 2003 325i recommended 205/55s but says no way on 205/45s.

#19 · (Edited)
Plugged your numbers in my favourite site: http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp and it appears to clear. If you crank those up as far as you can I know you won't rub as long as your struts/springs are in good shape. Should be good to go with 205/55s.

I'd crank them all the way up in front and drive it loaded with people, find the nastiest road you figure you'll encounter and see. Then slowly lower and repeat until you rub, crank it up a couple turns and be good to go. KW V1s drop a min of 1.5" in front, mine's lowered 1.4", essentially the same.

Edit: Minimal to no stretch http://tyrestretch.com/?s=8.0+205+55+R16+. I'd bet that with the camber allotted to you by the manufacturer (assuming not maxed out negative as your car sits now) you could get away with 215/55s might look a bit better.

#20 · (Edited)
Plugged your numbers in my favourite site: http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp and it appears to clear. If you crank those up as far as you can I know you won't rub as long as your struts/springs are in good shape. Should be good to go with 205/55s.

I'd crank them all the way up in front and drive it loaded with people, find the nastiest road you figure you'll encounter and see. Then slowly lower and repeat until you rub, crank it up a couple turns and be good to go. KW V1s drop a min of 1.5" in front, mine's lowered 1.4", essentially the same.
Been using that site too. Lots of good information there. 205/55s look promising. I'm sitting at normal camber.

Have my rears at the highest setting with the 235/55s and am rubbing. For some reason my passenger side rear sits higher than my drivers side rear. Had these coilovers for just under 23k miles, they should still be in good condition at this rate no? Struts arent leaking, how long do springs last?

#26 · (Edited)
unless you're rubbing really hard, you sad only dips and rough roads with vehicle loaded
Define "really hard." I can turn hard and not rub by myself. However, if I hit a deep dip going 30+ it will scrape for a fraction of a second in the back. If I go over a speed bump too quickly it will scrape in the back. I haven't driven on the highway yet

Now if I have a passenger in the front I will scrape much more often (still only in the back) on roads that are not really that bad, but that have dips (smaller dips that those I mentioned above)

Aka by myself I'm almost 100% Rub free. With one passenger up front I rub enough that its embarrassing/awkward but not damaging. Haven't attempted with 3 or 4 people

#27 ·
Update: threw em on Craigslist. I don't have the income to take chances. I very much would like to test out a set of 215s, but it just doesn't make sense for me in my position to take such a gamble. 300 for the wheels, plus 348 plus 120 for an alignment. It adds up. The whole point was to save money and get a new set of rims.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.