E46 Fanatics Forum banner

coolant system help!

3K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  spherehunter 
#1 ·
Alright so my water pump went bad and actually ended up imploding in the system. I retrieved serveral large plastic parts from the old pump, but i want to get all the plastic parts out of the system. I have my water pump and thermostat out. Would it be best to leave the engine drain plug in and fill it with water through the thermostat hole and watch for pieces to come out? then drain the system completely? Anyone having any advice on this i would appreciate greatly. It's quite cold in ohio today and would like to get this job done as quickly as possible.

#3 ·
Went ahead and filled it up and drained it out, got alot of tiny small pieces, but no large ones. I'm kind of at a loss here for where the rest of the plastic pieces could be. I have a new pump with the metal impellar design, but really dont want to put everything on, to have to take it back off again for not getting all the pieces out. Would anyone have any ideas on what i could do to insure that there would be no ill effects when putting everything back together? Thanks!

#4 ·
Large pieces probably won't pass through the cooling system passages. The main concern would be blocking the flow to some part of the cylinder head. Have you done a search, here, at bimmerfest, and bimmerforums? I can't imagine this is the first time this has happened to someone.

#5 ·
I've searched both here and bimmerfest, that's where i got the idea of filling through the thermostat with the drainplug in. But other than that i didn't really find anything helpful in my situation. The only other thing i can think of would be to take the lower radiator hose off and see if anything tried passing through to the radiator?

#6 ·
Not sure how you made out, but I would try flushing from the engine back to the water pump. The lower radiator hose would also be a "must check".

The primary passage from the water pump is into the cylinder head. You can pull the engine coolant temperature sensor (at the back of the head, below #6 intake port) and flush back from there. I haven't checked, but imagine this is a pita to get to.

#8 ·
take the radiator out and flush it.

i would flush the whole system 2-3 times to be sure.

#9 ·
ended up pulling the lower hose, filled through the thermostat, drained from the engine drain plug, blew water through the drain as well. also used a vac and got a large chunk from behind the water pump. reassembled everything and have about an hour on everything with no signs of overheating and hot air coming from the vents. am i in the clear?

#11 ·
Yes, I did have the heat on while filling it. Bled it correctly and checked the coolant again before I drove again today. It was still perfectly where I filled it up to. Drove another 100 miles today with no fluctuation in the temp gauge at all. Crossing my fingers! Thanks for all the help and e46fanatics for having awesome info to search through!

#15 · (Edited)
most on here will try to help you out as much as possible when they can. and when new, we all make posts asking questions that have been answered a hundred times before because we are just unaware with our limited experience on the site.

given that, you are asking a question that is covered in depth on at least one sticky and usually at least two or three threads a day.

I'm not above asking questions "spur" of the moment from time to time when I need help, and I need it now, but for goodness sake, search and read the E46 Cooling system guide sticky by E46Mango and then post your questions.

short answer you'll probably get - YES - replace your entire cooling system, and both hoses and all pulley while you're at it.

Good luck!

#18 ·
Thanks, The belt is new I was definitely going to replace water pump plastic pully with a metal one. BV Auto have a cooling overhaul kit for 334.95. I have to check out which tensioner I need to get.

Complete cooling system overhaul in a convenient kit! Includes the following components:

Radiator - Nissens
Radiator Expansion Tank
Upper Radiator Hose
Lower Radiator Hose
Coolant Level Sending Unit
Expansion Tank Bleeder Screw
Water Pump & Gasket - With Upgraded Metal Impeller - Meyle
Thermostat & Gaskets - Wahler
Coolant Temperature Sensor

I cant find anything on the Transmission check valve though.

Thanks for your response.

#23 ·
Probably the way to get most (if not all) of the plastic out of the head and block would be to remove the water pump, hook up a garden hose to T-stat housing where the upper radiator hose connects and turn it on full blast. That should back flush all the crap out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.