E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DIY: Alternative Lock beep

199K views 361 replies 167 participants last post by  jeepo23 
#1 · (Edited)
***Update for video clip and siren test!!***
Hey guys this is my first DIY so please dont burn me too bad lol.
Pics taken from my phone, ill get some better ones up soon.

I got the idea from the GodsSon lockbeep thread.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=687303&highlight=lock+beep

This is just a more simplified process and is just for entertainment.

***UPDATE***

After speaking with a tech at the dealership. They confirm that this will only work with vehicles ARE programed to flash. It usually cost about $60 to have them do it.

Sorry for not putting that info out there sooner.
My vehicle is already programmed to flash the lights and the clown nose. If yours isnt programmed it can be done at the dealer.

List:

T-30 torx
Electronic buzzer- Radio Shack 90dB Piezo Pulse Model: 273-060

Time: 45 minutes easy DIY

Step one:

Remove the twist clips holding down the cover to the cabin air filter. Remove cover and filter.

Step two:
Remove (4) T-30 torx screws holding the filter tray and carefully separate the wire harness from the loom.

Step three:
Remove (2) torx screws holding the protective cover for the blend air box. There is one to the left side by the A/c charging port and the other by the DME.

Step four:
Locate pre-wired alarm siren plug. Usually taped to the left side.

Step five
Locate Black wire w/ Blue stripe far left, bottom hole.
Then locate Brown wire w/ Black stripe left upper hole.

Step six:
Pin the ground wire into the lower left hole.
Pin the positive wire into the upper left hole.

~~~ Test your key.
CAR SHOULD BEEP TWICE TO UNLOCK.
(NOTE) YOU MUST HOLD DOWN THE HOOD TRIGGER TO HEAR IT BEEP ONCE AND LOCK!

Step seven:
After deciding where you want to mount your buzzer mount it down with double-sided tape this is where I mounted mine.
** Switch for a bigger buzzer so that the sound is louder***

Step eight:
Put everything back together and enjoy.
if you got any questions please feel free to ask.

****Bonus!! Buzzer/ siren doubles as an alarm*******

See less See more
#45 ·
I am doing this!

#46 ·
hey great find! i just completed the diy.... but it seems like the buzzer is on all the time...i mean there is a faint beep, any ideas?

p.s i was testing it for a couple of seconds, unlock, lock, unlock etc....and eventually the flashes disappeared and it looked like the door locks struggled to get up :p

#47 ·
hey great find! i just completed the diy.... but it seems like the buzzer is on all the time...i mean there is a faint beep, any ideas?

p.s i was testing it for a couple of seconds, unlock, lock, unlock etc....and eventually the flashes disappeared and it looked like the door locks struggled to get up :p

What kind of buzzer did you use? I dont hear anything from mine. As for the door locks I would test the battery just to be safe. Most buzzer will only use about 150mA

#52 ·
my verdict about the faint beeeep: a tiny bit of the power and ground wire is exposed going into the oem siren connection....maybe, just maybe there some electrical leakage going on, because there's not much space(resistance) between the two wires :lmao:

#58 ·
^ naw but i suspect its from the exposed power and ground wire...too lazy to fix it lol. i just learn to love it because A: i cant hear it when im driving and B: when i lock my car, i usually walk away, only to come back to drive it again.....vicious cycle but it works lol

#159 ·
Mine is not a faint constant buzz but it is quite loud constant beep. When I do lock and unlock the other sound is much louder.

I bought the KP Technologies package but cut the beeper out of it:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=687303

Would I need to put in a relay or splicing directly into the wires should get rid of the ghost ground that maybe affecting this. :eeps:

I'll just go back to just hearing the door locks for now :(

#61 ·
No it is not. You just need to have the option activated where your lights flash when you lock, and the clown nose blinks when locked. No alarm needed, just need to be prewired for the alarm, which most are.

If your car is prewired for the alarm, and your lights don't blink when you lock, then just go to the dealer and ask for it to be activated. See my previous post.

#60 ·
Thanks for a Great DIY OP!

I initially used the 90db siren, as you did in the beginning, and it was too faint. Especially with a little wind and road noise from nearby cars in a parking lot, it was hard to hear over the sound of the locks engaging.

Then I switched it out for the 102db and its perfect. Sounds not too loud, and not too faint.

Way way easy too...this is a must DIY for those who have the light flash upon lock activated. BTW...cost me $50 at the dealership and I had several other options activated all at once for the flat cost of $50.

#62 ·
im doing this mod this weekend. thanks for the idea!

#65 ·
Great DIY! Just have a couple of questions though. I bought the buzzer which was more rounded and then switched to the siren which was more or a rectangular shape. But i can't get the siren to activate. I can get it to beep during locking and unlocking but can't simulate a breakin and get it to go off. Did i buy the wrong model or am i doing something wrong? By the way the siren i bought sounds exactly like the siren in your video where you simulate the break in. TIA and once again great DIY!

#67 ·
awesome DIY, i've been wanting to get an OEM alarm for god knows how long... $4 later... :woot:

i got the 273-0059... i'm taking it back because i don't think 75db is loud enough... however the wires are right there so that will literally take me a minute haha

#70 ·
Awesome DIY and price!! but a quick question...

if someone breaks in and the buzzer goes off.... will it stay on until it drains the battery, or will it reset itself after a few seconds? If it doesnt auto reset, you guys are going to drive your neighbors CRAZY :lmao: if someone were to break into your car...

#75 ·
OK, but would anyone, or the OP, who has done this mod mind seeing if it does reset after a few seconds? i would think that the buzzer (or any real alarm for that matter) would scare off a would be thief, and I personally would rather the buzzer scare them off, and I be able to drive my car away... especially if you happen to be in a shady part of the city.. Thanks!!

#79 ·
thats why i'm going up to 100db... or basically as loud as i can get lol

my car locking sounds like a prison cell closing after your 25-L sentence :rofl:

15 feet away from the car you can barely hear the beap, and right now its 86db, this is being in front of the car, front passenger side to be precise (right where the buzzer is)

standing behind the car? forget it, you'd never hear it

#82 ·
^ Thanks. let me know which one you end up with and if it was loud enough.

#83 ·
will do... probably later in the week i'll take a ride to radio shack and see what they have

i'll probably have to get the bigger one... hopefully it still has that OEM sound... these are closer to $10-$12... all the little $5 buzzers don't go louder than 86db, at least in the two stores i went to :dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.